Fire, smoke and cook offs!!

Mainstay

I was wondering if this is something on the todo list of ED. At this moment we get fire in vehicles that get destroyed to a certain extend. 

From my experience the amount of fire and smoke seem very limited though. It always seem to stop after a certain amount of time. While the time it takes for some fires to turn off should take way longer. Also the cook offs could see some variation. 

Keep up the good work ED love you guys! 

• Like 4

g8PjVMw.png

It's probably limited due to performance concerns but some randomness is very welcome and would add to the looks by avoiding the clones.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I noticed an interesting thing just now, on an Apache mission. I took out four BTRs using Hellfires, and the smoke and flames from the destroyed vehicles were fairly modest, both in terms of height and volume of plume.

I then moved in to take out the final BTR in the column using the gun. Not only was the smoke plume possibly ten times higher and larger, but I also got a nice secondary explosion a good couple of minutes after the initial one. I can't swear that the units hit with the Hellfires didn't also have secondary explosions at some point, but the difference in smoke height and volume was very apparent and also much more realistic-looking.

In fact, before I'd destroyed the last of the BTRs with the gun I had been mentally comparing the smoke from the destroyed units with that seen in an earlier mission against trucks and tanks and had assumed that the smoke level was associated with the vehicle type.

I should also say that I orbited the burning BTR for several minutes just to check that this wasn't an issue of timing. I wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed an earlier, larger plume from the first four vehicles because I was head-down in the TADS. Also, for clarity, I don't have any 3rd party smoke mods installed.

So, that's what I've observed, and I'll now fly a mission to see if I can replicate these results and establish whether there is a correlation between weapon type and subsequent smoke/explosion effects. Good old scientific method: observe, hypothesize and experiment!

I do enjoy the current smoke effects, and when I'm creating a mission I usually add a little wind at low altitude to make the smoke plumes look more varied and interesting.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:55 AM, Mogster said:

... Random secondary explosions would be good also.

This would really bump up the immersion.

23 minutes ago, Magnate said:

...I do enjoy the current smoke effects, and when I'm creating a mission I usually add a little wind at low altitude to make the smoke plumes look more varied and interesting.

I agree, the current effects are very decent, and you idea to use low level wind is a great way to enhance it.

• Like 1