9999 Laser Range

MrReynolds

Putting this in the general forum because I'm "sure" it's not a bug, and if it is modelled correctly, then it shouldn't go on the wishlist.  But.....................

Max 9999 range for laser.

This is really mucking up my long range planning !! 🙄😉

I can CLEARLY see targets in the TADS, but can't store any as they're >9999 range.

Without going into "top secret" details, is this the case for the real airframe?  

Such a shame to be able to spot these juicy threats, but having to get closer and then store.

First World problems hey!!!

• Like 1

The range can go over 10km, but the largest number that can be displayed is 9999. Have you tried storing beyond 9999 and seeing what you get for a target point? Not sure how DCS simulates that, but as long as the asterisk shows up, you should be getting valid range values in the computer.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, AlphaOneSix said:

The range can go over 10km, but the largest number that can be displayed is 9999. Have you tried storing beyond 9999 and seeing what you get for a target point? Not sure how DCS simulates that, but as long as the asterisk shows up, you should be getting valid range values in the computer.

Thanks for the try.  The azimuth / direction stores, but the range seems to stop at the 9999.

So if the target is technically 12999 then it'll be stored 3000 short.  Not the best for a bob up against a highly active and spritely SA-8.

• Like 1

From my testing what I have noticed is the laser designator and range stop immediately at 10k.

Storing a target at say 12k will result in accurate azimuth but the range will be maxed out at 10k.

Also if you try to designate from an Apache at beyond 10k for another Apache at let's say 8k from the target the designating aircraft needs to fly within that 10k range before the shooter at 8k will get their Hellfire to see the lase and lock. 

I imagine the laser energy wouldn't just abruptly stop right at 10k but then again that's exactly how all the other pods in DCS work except they generally can lase out to 15k and not 10k.

As far as what a realistic range should be, I don't know. I know there are hand held laser rangefinders that can range further than 10k though under the right conditions.

Edited by NeMoGas
  • Thanks 1

The hellfire are also limited exactly to 9999 meters. 

Have tested it in different versions . 

Jtac is 2km from the target and marks it

I fire the hellfire at 9999m and hit.  I fire at 10001 meter the missile flies over the target and hits 15-20km in the ground

Edited by Hobel