Monthly status report on ongoing development items.

b0bl00i

Would be very nice to have a report from the dev teams about the current status of ongoing work. I think dcs customers would greatly benefit from development updates and progress updates instead of getting the same answer when asking what the status is. 

• Like 3

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

On 4/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, b0bl00i said:

Would be very nice to have a report from the dev teams about the current status of ongoing work. I think dcs customers would greatly benefit from development updates and progress updates instead of getting the same answer when asking what the status is. 

They have a weekly newsletter

They release patch notes with every update.

Additionally, when there is something new to share with us, they do so.

And you want even more?

You do realize that every time ED shares news or work in progress, angry mobs are ready to attack them when plans turn out a little different..

I totally understand why ED is restraint when it comes to sharing news. The imminent torches and pitchforks by some community members must be frustrating for the dev team while they are working hard and doing their very best.

Also, what's so hard to understand about: "we will share news when there is news to share"

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 4

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

8 hours ago, sirrah said:

They have a weekly newsletter

They release patch notes with every update.

Additionally, when there is something new to share with us, they do so.

And you want even more?

You do realize that every time ED shares news or work in progress, angry mobs are ready to attack them when plans turn out a little different..

I totally understand why ED is restraint when it comes to sharing news. The imminent torches and pitchforks by some community members must be frustrating for the dev team while they are working hard and doing their very best.

Also, what's so hard to understand about: "we will share news when there is news to share"

The problem is that despite the weekly newsletter, we've had no news on the DTC in years. We've had no news on the dynamic weather system and AI seeing through clouds since the new clouds were released a year ago. We've had no serious news on the development of the dynamic campaign since quite some time too, while they hoped for open beta test Q2/Q3 2021. Remember that 3rd party talking about a pretty IADS? No news since a year. And so on...

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

No news since a year. And so on...

Honestly, I didnt even noticed this … 🤔

… too busy flying the existing modules and learning the Apache, no time to worry about upcoming items.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

30 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

The problem is that despite the weekly newsletter, we've had no news on the DTC in years. We've had no news on the dynamic weather system and AI seeing through clouds since the new clouds were released a year ago. We've had no serious news on the development of the dynamic campaign since quite some time too, while they hoped for open beta test Q2/Q3 2021. Remember that 3rd party talking about a pretty IADS? No news since a year. And so on...

Ever considered that there might not be anything meaningful to report?

Why do so many people here seem to feel that ED owes them any news?

I get it, it's all coming from enthusiasm and love for this great sim, but as Rudel said, try and enjoy what we have instead of constantly trying to focus on what's to come.

• Like 3

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

Ever considered that there might not be anything meaningful to report?

If after several years there is nothing to report on stuff like DTC for example, I'm honestly pessimistic it'll ever come in DCS...

2 hours ago, sirrah said:

I get it, it's all coming from enthusiasm and love for this great sim, but as Rudel said, try and enjoy what we have instead of constantly trying to focus on what's to come.

And that's the problem to me and some more people... as a helicopter player mainly, and despite being almost a new player to DCS in the grand scheme of things (about 2 years), I'm already finding DCS so, so boring to play... I love the aircraft, learning the systems, procedures, and then, what? Always killing the same dumb static AI (my main grip)? Having to spend hours in the mission editor to make interesting missions because you have to tell the AI everything they have to do and their reactions? Spend even more hours to try to randomize them because otherwise there is no surprise during the mission? 

I, and I think many more people, am eagerly awaiting more news on those development items because I quite frankly struggle to enjoy DCS when it's so repetitive and "lifeless" (compare with that other F-16 sim).

Edited by Mad_Shell
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Mad_Shell said:

...  I'm already finding DCS so, so boring to play... I love the aircraft, learning the systems, procedures, and then, what? 

It depends on the person, to me DCS is more of a Simulator than a Game, and my interest is more on the flight experience itself and the learning of different aircrafts ... rather than on killing simulated units.  So, once I fully learn an aircraft, what do I do?  .. well, I start again with a new aircraft 🙂  ... so far I fly on average 3-6 months with each module (I must be a slow learner), so I will probably never run out of Modules to learn.

Having to spend hours in the mission editor to make interesting missions because you have to tell the AI everything they have to do and their reactions?

Well, actually I played DCS for several years while ignoring the Mission Editor ... it seemed arcane and really boring  ... but once I started to dedicate some time to it, I started to find it genuinely engaging and interesting, it's almost a game within the game ... to me, the hours on the Mission Editor are actually fun and worthwhile.

I, and I think many more people, am eagerly awaiting more news on those development items because I quite frankly struggle to enjoy DCS when it's so repetitive and "lifeless" (compare with that other F-16 sim).

And having a DTC would really make it more enjoyable?  ... I can see that the Dynamic Campaign will probably be more of a game changer, but a DTC? .. or moving to Vulkan?  .. will those make DCS more enjoyable?

I will love if those features do get implemented, but I'm not going to worry about when they will be ready or demand more frequent development reports, I'd rather learn to fly a simulated aircraft 🙂

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

It is worth bearing in mind this is a simulator, which it does very well, better than anything else. I know it's referred to as a game, but a game infers it is 'just' for fun and generally has progression towards an end goal. Whereas a simulation mimics the systems and procedures of a function. Which is really what DCS is, and its fun is in playing with the functions it simulates. I agree single player can become repetitive and boring, and creating new missions of your own doesn't offer much surprise. I would recommend multiplayer to help with this. General online can give different 'game' type environments where it is about scores with or against humans.

Plus there is a really broad range of aircraft to experience too in DCS so learning a new airframe is always another thing to get into.

Your other option is a squadron, which will give you whatever level of realism versus game depending on how they operate. There are many to choose from. This makes best use of the simulation in DCS and allows you to utilise its features in the way you want to, with humans to fly with. Also, it makes formation flying, communications and procedures so much more engaging. All of which are a huge part of being a military pilot.

Also, as far as Vulkan goes, and multi-thread, to me, using VR (Pimax 8K X), it will make a huge difference to the experience. Allowing greater detail and framerates, so giving a more realistic and smoother experience. Being patient is sometimes hard, but I remind myself of the amazing products ED give us, without which I would have nothing even close as they are the only ones doing this kind of thing at all.

And the Apache is awesome.

Edited by Simultaneous
Added detail
  • Like 2

Stalker_Signature.png

i9-11900K (Corsair water cooled); Z590; 64Gb Dominator 3466; Zotac Trinity OC RTX 4090; Soundblaster Z; Samsung 980 & 990 Pros; Pimax 8K X, 5K XR;

Winwing Orion 2 F/A-18 throttle, Winwing Orion 2 base with extension and F-15EX grip (from F/A-18 grip); Virpil Warbrd base (2x extensions) with TM Warthog grip, TM Warthog throttle; Ace-Flight Rudder Pedals, Control Panel #2; Simshaker Jetpad / HF8.

9 minutes ago, Simultaneous said:

It is worth bearing in mind this is a simulator, which it does very well, better than anything else. I know it's referred to as a game, but a game infers it is 'just' for fun and generally has progression towards an end goal. Whereas a simulation mimics the systems and procedures of a function. Which is really what DCS is, and its fun is in playing with the functions it simulates. I agree single player can become repetitive and boring, and creating new missions of your own doesn't offer much surprise. I would recommend multiplayer to help with this. General online can give different 'game' type environments where it is about scores with or against humans.

Plus there is a really broad range of aircraft to experience too in DCS so learning a new airframe is always another thing to get into.

Your other option is a squadron, which will give you whatever level of realism versus game depending on how they operate. There are many to choose from. This makes best use of the simulation in DCS and allows you to utilise its features in the way you want to, with humans to fly with. Also, it makes formation flying, communications and procedures so much more engaging. All of which are a huge part of being a military pilot.

Also, as far as Vulkan goes, and multi-thread, to me, using VR (Pimax 8K X), it will make a huge difference to the experience. Allowing greater detail and framerates, so giving a more realistic and smoother experience. Being patient is sometimes hard, but I remind myself of the amazing products ED give us, without which I would have nothing even close as they are the only ones doing this kind of thing at all.

And the Apache is awesome.

Well said sir, couldn't have said it better myself.

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.