VR: HIADSS Symbology too high

Bracketman

Hi all, maybe I'm missing this somewhere, or perhaps it's not a feature - which I'm hoping can/will change - but my IHADSS in VR is about 1.5 to 2 inches too high for my sight picture. I know with the KA50 there is an option to move the targeting sight up/down for vertical eye centering, but not seeing anything currently in the Apache to do this.

• Like 3

I'm experiencing the same problem. The IHADSS display position is a strangely high. If I want to read the heading at the very top of the display I almost have to roll my eyes into the back of my head.

• Like 1

Untitled-2.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I open this thread to separate the issue with the HIADSS simbology from George menu issue, as Bignewy has suggested.

Check the original post here:

In the OP some of us have problems with the possition of the IHADSS green symbology (heading tape, altitude tape, TADS square position, etc..) because it is placed to high.

That forced me to look down all the time if I want to get the center of the symbology directly in front of my eyes. Aditionally, as the upper part is rendered outside of the sweet spot of my headset, the heading tape is blurry.

I have drawn this bellow schema to explain the problem (screenshots and tracks will not help, as the VR "screen" is particular to everyone, and a 2D screenshot is quite diferent from what VR user see). It shows the comparision of how any other aircraft's HUD symbology is placed, with how the IHADSS symbology is placed.

In my opinion a good solution, that will fit everyone, is to have a slider in the AH-64D special options menu to place the symbology  up or down as desired (similar to the slider that places the KA-50 helmet aiming circle)

Could you check it please?

Thanks in advance

HUDvsHIADSS.png

Edited by daemon1808
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

The head tracker position or the diamond you see is to high and has been adjusted internally, this also affects the ACQ LOS Reticle, this will be in a future patch.

thanks

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Agreed to the points above. I started a thread on this Day 1 Apache release but didn't receive any traction, hopefully this can be resolved similar to the vertical slider found in the KA50 vr settings for the gunsight overlay. Overall IHADSS monocle/information is displayed too high, and can't be adjusted by just moving the headset around since the "sweet spot" of my VR unit won't work (everything will be blurry as heck). Horizontal location of the IHADSS I believe is alright. Feeling the pain when flying the Apache/IHADSS since I'm having to cant my head down by 10+ degrees.. not fun.

KA50 likewise had either the same (or very similar) issue, but the inclusion of the "Helmet Ring Displacement" in the "Special" tab brought the vertical position of the gunsight overlay down - in my case, set at 9.1 degrees - and it's working perfectly now.             

Already seen about 10 people discussing this issue on the forums, so there will be more, as everyone's head & vr headsets are different.

What is weird to me is that the issue only happens with HIADSS symbology (maybe is because it is too "near" to the user). All other aircraft HUD's symbology is good, and nobody seems to complain about it been too high or too low.

Lately I have found myself removing the monocle during the flight and using it only during combat, because it cause pain in my neck (because the continous tilt of the head) and headache (because the heading tape is blurry)

Let's hope that, as bignewy has stated, this will be fixed in a future patch.🤩

9 hours ago, daemon1808 said:

What is weird to me is that the issue only happens with HIADSS symbology (maybe is because it is too "near" to the user). All other aircraft HUD's symbology is good, and nobody seems to complain about it been too high or too low.

Lately I have found myself removing the monocle during the flight and using it only during combat, because it cause pain in my neck (because the continous tilt of the head) and headache (because the heading tape is blurry)

That's because HUD's are fixed so it's alway in the same place in the plane\heli.  IHADSS is over your eye and the intitial location of it in VR is too high.

I'd like the vertical slider found in the KA50 as well.  It would be the best solution.  Trying to just lower it in VR may mess it up for other users not having the problem with different headsets etc.  A slider would allow everyone to adjust it to their liking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mine is the same.  When Compared to Wagg's Youtube instructions, Mine HADSS is 10 to 20 Degrees higher.  Also My George AI wheels do not appear in the corners but are above the HADSS Display making it hard to read and use.  Corners would be great compared to Way high in the windshield.  I use an Oculus Quest 2. 

Edited by CaptScotty

Dear BIGNEWY and ED team,

I would like to revive the topic listed here regarding the IHADSS sitting too high in VR with the AH-64D. While the linked topic is specific to George AI's position on the screen, the issue that I am finding extant is the height of the IHADSS display relative to the centreline of the eye. Kayos has illustrated this well with his screenshot. I took a few photos from inside my VR headset in my naturally seated position (seated position reset in Steam VR) to further demonstrate this. I apologise for the poor image quality, it was almost impossible to take the photos, but I believe that it paints the narrative. As it can be seen, the centreline of the eye is directly inline with the turn and slip indicator/field of regard box, the crosshair sits along the canopy crossbeam, the heading tape is somewhere in another galaxy, and George AI is in the back of my eye socket. Slight exaggeration aside, I find it problematic. I have a single monitor, use HP Reverb 2, and am not exporting to any other display, so I don't see the multi-monitor patch helping in my case.

Adjusting the angle by significantly tilting the headset uncomfortably (and unsustainably) downwards with both hands so far that the headset has to sit away from my face for it to be able to sit correctly in the screen seems to adjust the IHADSS to the centre. Additionally, I question if tilting the headset downwards is a solution, as I am not sure how this affects the aspect/perspective and picture accuracy with respect to the game and boresight. My head and face are regulation size, if that helps 🙂

This now begs the question... is the IHADSS too high or is the picture at an incorrect angle?

I would be very grateful if there is no fix to this at this point (and looking around various forums there doesn't seem to be) that some sort of personal adjustment (height or angle?) via the menu be added to the backlog for implementation.

Many thanks, in advance.

20220412_212929.jpg

20220412_213647.jpg

• Like 1

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS, GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra 11GB, RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4, MB: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, Game drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W, Windows 10 version: Pro - build 1909, WMR (Windows 10 version), WMR for SteamVR Beta, SteamVR Beta, VR: HP Reverb Pro

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

On 4/9/2022 at 1:59 AM, daemon1808 said:

My HMD's in the F-16/18 are also extremely high when I'm looking directly at the HUD in my cockpit through VR, so much so that I typically have two HUD's simultaneously, one 20 degrees in the air over top of the other.  I wouldn't mind a slider there as well, but it's not that critical since HMD use in the 16/18 isn't as needed as the IHADSS system in the AH64.

• ED Team

I have merged threads here, as I mention the headtracker or diamond is to high and will be adjusted, but you are also touching on other subjects here. 

In my G2 I dont have any issues with the symbology being to high. 

Can I check none of you have the file left over from using the crosseye VR tool in your saved games dcs folder, also can you tell me what IPD value you are using in DCS or if you have it unticked. 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi BIGNEWY,

Thank you for looking further into this. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the crosseye tool, but I am pretty confident that my IPD is set to 63. Will have to confirm when I am home in a couple of days, but I am reasonably sure that it is set to that because I measured my IPD a while back.

Thanks and kind regards

My Rig:

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS, GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 TI FTW3 Ultra 11GB, RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4, MB: MSI MEG Z390 Godlike, Game drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD, PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W, Windows 10 version: Pro - build 1909, WMR (Windows 10 version), WMR for SteamVR Beta, SteamVR Beta, VR: HP Reverb Pro

While I don't necessarily like when people comment saying they can't concur with a posters issues, I don't have any issues with the HDU height in my G2. If there was any changes to be made by ED I hope they can leave how it is as an option. 

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

On 4/13/2022 at 2:40 PM, Gunslinger22 said:

While I don't necessarily like when people comment saying they can't concur with a posters issues, I don't have any issues with the HDU height in my G2. If there was any changes to be made by ED I hope they can leave how it is as an option. 

Yes, if it is possible, we are asking for a slider to offset the monocle/simbology. That way everyone can adjust it as fits best for him.

IPD is in-game forced to 70 or 71, as this seems to be the "sweet spot" for most of the aircraft (in particular, the HIND) using my Odyssey+. I've got the writing for the debug tool coming up every time, but I've never enabled anything, so I'm assuming the cross eye vr tool is off by default?

I am using a rift s and the in-game IPD I've set to 70 as well. Did a night mission last night with about 4 total hours flying around, goggles, pnvs, etc. I am using default positioning. After zeroing my VR and the cross hairs are perfectly lined up with my view, but it does appear the heading bar is way to high. It intersects the airframe crossbar and is unusable unless i move my view down and look up with my eyes. Very fatiguing. It may be an IPD issue. I dont want to shrink the text, but make the total area of the symbiology 10% smaller.

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

• NineLine locked this topic
  • 1 month later...

Good luck with this.

I opened a thread a couple of months ago regarding this same topic (splitting from another thread on a similar topic) and ... still waiting 😞

For me this a must and urgent matter, because this issue is related to save people's visual health (I really appreciate my eyes). But it seems that health is less important than having the proper rotor RPM when its monday, raining and the sun is in the house of Aries... because "ey, IRL the RPM then are 10% more than in DCS" 🥺

• Thanks 1

• ED Team

I have merged the threads and will take another look at this, I can not say I have noticed any issue with my G2 however. 

thanks

• ED Team

The only way I can reproduce this is if my headset is not seated on my face correctly. 

I rest the bottom of my faceplate on the top of my cheeks, I find this gives me the best view on the middle of the eye focus point / sweet spot. 

Hi Bignewy,

Thanks for the answer. In my case it is not related with the position of my headset (I adjust it to have the sweet spot just straight of my eyes, as usual. And it rests comfortably in my cheeks and nose)

In all the other modules I have purchased and played along this years, the cockpit elements and HUD simbology are right in front of me in the headset usual position. This includes the Blackshark reticle, the UH-1 copilot and pilots sights, etc. (even the "HIADDS" of the UH-60 mod, that is quite similar to the one of the AH-64, is shown correctly just in front of me, without any aditional adjustment)

It seems that this behaviour is related to the headsets. For some of us happens, for others don't. That's the reason we are asking for a way to adjust vertically his HIADDs (like the blackshark reticle). This way everyone could adjust the position for their headset as desired.

• ED Team
15 hours ago, daemon1808 said:

Hi Bignewy,

Thanks for the answer. In my case it is not related with the position of my headset (I adjust it to have the sweet spot just straight of my eyes, as usual. And it rests comfortably in my cheeks and nose)

In all the other modules I have purchased and played along this years, the cockpit elements and HUD simbology are right in front of me in the headset usual position. This includes the Blackshark reticle, the UH-1 copilot and pilots sights, etc. (even the "HIADDS" of the UH-60 mod, that is quite similar to the one of the AH-64, is shown correctly just in front of me, without any aditional adjustment)

It seems that this behaviour is related to the headsets. For some of us happens, for others don't. That's the reason we are asking for a way to adjust vertically his HIADDs (like the blackshark reticle). This way everyone could adjust the position for their headset as desired.

I have asked other VR testers to check also, I am not sure why it seems ok for me but not others. 

Thanks