Anybody figure out how to recycle warthog mount plates after switching?

Skwirl865

I use a Wheelstand Pro Super Warthog configuration, and I had a similar issue going from my Warthog stick to a Virpil base. Drilling the existing mounting plate wasn't really going to work because of the dimensions, so I createad a "go-between" plate out of MDF. I drilled countersunk holes from the bottom up for the machine screws that go into the bottom of the Vipril base, and then I used wood screws up through the holes of the Wheelstand Pro's Warthog mounting plate into the MDF. It adds about half an inch between the mounting plate and the base, but in my setup that was no problem. With the MDF (or any sort of wood) painted black, it doesn't even look as cheap as it sounds. 🙂 It was a relatively easy fix using materials and tools I had handy, though I'm sure there are more elegant solutions for those with access to tooling, 3D printing, etc. 

Edited by X-31_VECTOR

14 hours ago, X-31_VECTOR said:

I use a Wheelstand Pro Super Warthog configuration, and I had a similar issue going from my Warthog stick to a Virpil base. Drilling the existing mounting plate wasn't really going to work because of the dimensions, so I createad a "go-between" plate out of MDF. I drilled countersunk holes from the bottom up for the machine screws that go into the bottom of the Vipril base, and then I used wood screws up through the holes of the Wheelstand Pro's Warthog mounting plate into the MDF. It adds about half an inch between the mounting plate and the base, but in my setup that was no problem. With the MDF (or any sort of wood) painted black, it doesn't even look as cheap as it sounds. 🙂 It was a relatively easy fix using materials and tools I had handy, though I'm sure there are more elegant solutions for those with access to tooling, 3D printing, etc. 

What u did is exactly what I want. I don’t have any of the tools to do it but maybe I can find someone who does.  
how hard would it be to take a few pics of what u did and post em?  

9 hours ago, DavePastry said:

I just used velcro and its been holding up perfectly for over a year now, throttle is rock solid. 

Actually that does sound perfectly viable for the throttle.  I’m gonna try that. Idk if that would work for the stick tho lol

15 hours ago, Skwirl865 said:

Actually that does sound perfectly viable for the throttle.  I’m gonna try that. Idk if that would work for the stick tho lol

yeah definetly not for a stick, but I use velcro for my throttle, mfds and some button boxes and it works just fine

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

15 minutes ago, DavePastry said:

yeah definetly not for a stick, but I use velcro for my throttle, mfds and some button boxes and it works just fine

Would it be possible to see a photo of how you attached the throttle? I've been thinking of upgrading my Warthog Throttle also. It would be great not having to buy a new plate.

7 hours ago, Auger said:

Would it be possible to see a photo of how you attached the throttle? I've been thinking of upgrading my Warthog Throttle also. It would be great not having to buy a new plate.

oh I don't mind at all, any excuse to show off my eternally under construction simpit is a good excuse. 

PXL_20220410_220636676.PORTRAIT_2.jpg

PXL_20220410_220728609.jpg

PXL_20220410_220745749.jpg

PXL_20220410_220754227.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skwirl865 said:

How secure is it?  I ordered some of that dual lock stuff to do that very thing with mine

I just used sticker sheets of hook and loop off amazon and it feels totally secure to me, its never detached or needed adjustment, it helps that the vpc throttles are just a big flat square with lots of surface area, another model of throttle could have less surface area and hypothetically be less firmly stuck. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DavePastry said:

I just used sticker sheets of hook and loop off amazon and it feels totally secure to me, its never detached or needed adjustment, it helps that the vpc throttles are just a big flat square with lots of surface area, another model of throttle could have less surface area and hypothetically be less firmly stuck. 

I ordered the dual lock stuff for a temporary solution but then I got in touch with the guy at FoxxMounts. He has a universal plate that also works with monster tech mounts. It’s drilled to fit just about all the different throttles and stick bases from the warthog to virpil to vkb.  I ordered 2 of them. One for my warbrd base and another for my cm3 throttle.  They’re just $35 each and shipping is free.  I figured the peace of mind was worth that. 
Have a look. 
https://foxxmount.com/collections/mounting-plates/products/15-40-series-common-stick-plate

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 2:59 AM, Skwirl865 said:

What u did is exactly what I want. I don’t have any of the tools to do it but maybe I can find someone who does.  
how hard would it be to take a few pics of what u did and post em?  

Sorry, I was away from teh forums for a few days and just catching up. It sounds like you found a good solution in the FoxxMounts adapter plate, but if you still need pictures of my mod, just let me know and I'll grab some tonight or tomorrow. 

By the way, I also use velcro for my throttle and it's very solid, with no extraneous movement I can detect whatsoever. I never met a job that I couldn't needlessly overcomplicate, but in this case the easy way really was best. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:42 AM, X-31_VECTOR said:

Sorry, I was away from teh forums for a few days and just catching up. It sounds like you found a good solution in the FoxxMounts adapter plate, but if you still need pictures of my mod, just let me know and I'll grab some tonight or tomorrow. 

By the way, I also use velcro for my throttle and it's very solid, with no extraneous movement I can detect whatsoever. I never met a job that I couldn't needlessly overcomplicate, but in this case the easy way really was best. 

I’m ok now.  For a temporary solution, I figured out that 2 of the screws for the warthog plate would go into the Virgil throttle bottom so I osed that for the throttle and then got some “dual lock” Velcro type stuff that’s like Velcro but stronger. I used that on the bottom of the warbrd desk plate to hook it to the warthog i no mounting plate and voila!   I can’t even tell it’s not screwed in. I’m glad I ordered the actual plates cuz I really want them but if I had come up with this solution before I bought them, I might not have lol