GPS bombs not very accurate

Kenan

I've noticed the smaller ones (GBU38?) tend to land 10-15m off the target. Is this normal?

I believe I'm doing everything right, prep the bombs (wait for the countdown), arm them, designate target via TGP and..sometimes it's a straight on hit, and sometimes it tends to miss by a certain margin. My targets are usually tanks and/or armored vehicles.

I tried both PRE and VIS and it pretty much happens with both modes..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

^^I usually do lase within the referenced distance. It's just..the bombs are somewhat inaccurate..as if I'm dropping unguided bombs using CCRP. The accuracy is ok..but for a GPS bomb it should be a lot more than that..?

Edited by Kenan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

42 minutes ago, Kenan said:

^^I usually do lase within the referenced distance. It's just..the bombs are somewhat inaccurate..as if I'm dropping unguided bombs using CCRP. The accuracy is ok..but for a GPS bomb it should be a lot more than that..?

I've tested the GBU38 and I had good results. Yes some bombs miss but for 2-3m most and I believe this level of accuracy is right.

Did you try it on Blue side or Red side, when on Red make sure unrestricted SATNAV is forced on.

• Like 1

Under marginal release conditions the bombs fail to fly well to their set destinations and can come up 100s of meters short. There is also possible target location error when using onboard sensors (especially visual). When testing bomb performance it's important to use the most "direct coordinates" form of targeting to separate those other effects. In the F-16 that would be a steerpoint destination without TGP or FCR sensor aiming. Visual aiming I wouldn't even consider as a basis for weapon accuracy performance.

DCS does model the difference in performance with and without GPS. The GPS acquire time I dunno but it's true real JDAMs get more accurate the long they're in the air to a point. JDAMs will never be through the tank commander's hatch accurate or repeatable in any case but in the best situation they can absolutely kill an MBT with a very high Pk.

12 hours ago, Carbon715 said:

Lase within 7 nm as well tyo get updated and more precise coordinates

What's the specific technique? Just lase it once or do we have to hold the trigger until bomb drop? If only once, for how long? 

The laser updates the position only so long as the laser is currently firing. If you laser while making a mark point and then bomb the mark point then it doesn't matter if you lase during release. If you're dropping on a "live SPI" from TGP then you need the good target data on pickle press while the target is downloaded into the bomb and released.