BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

First of all, sorry for the translation, my main language is not English.
Some time ago I realized that I was losing the "3d depth" that I had when I started with VR, I thought that maybe it was the number of years that I have been with it that my eyes got used to it, presenting itself before my eyes with a 3d with little depth. I have been researching and found information that gave me back what my eyes perceived at first, a deep 3d. Again I have that feeling of distance, relief in things, mainly short and long distance, trees, mountains look deep as it should be in a real 3d view. I really recommend that you try and tell me what you think. It is not risky, you can return the configuration as it was before.

I really recommend them, video board nvidia.

In the video I'm creating a new profile, you can do it over the default profile (_global_driver_profile) this way it's left by default and you don't have to load the new profile with every reboot. And as always you can return to the default settings just by pressing the corresponding button.
I have realized that there is already a profile with these modifications, you only have to select the "VRdirectx" option in the "profiles" tab. 

A good clarification that this is not a mod, therefore it does not modify anything of DCS, it is more it improves the 3d vr in general, tested with a better depth also in Il2, ACC and AMS2

You must first download the Nvidia Inspector app https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

Instructions in video

Easy method, with built-in profile

Edited by pastranario3
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Look somewhat complex to me. Will wait to hear of others that might try this. However I do not have a sense of lacking any 3d.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hace 24 minutos, dburne dijo:

Look somewhat complex to me. Will wait to hear of others that might try this. However I do not have a sense of lacking any 3d.

It is not complex and in my case it is really worth it. Turn on fly, turn off fly, you realize the best 3d depth with the mod. Does not affect fps. In my case, seeing the buildings in the cities is, I don't know how to explain, a deeper 3d, more sense of volumen. I hope it works for you, I have shared it so that others can enjoy it, otherwise I will continue investigating if it can be improved even more.

Edited by pastranario3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I downloaded the file for inspector it does nothing. I go into the inspector I installed and I dont have those settings. these directions are missing an important step and I imagine it has to do with the reference file in the download on Github??

How do I import that xml file into inspector?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

hace 7 minutos, The_Nephilim dijo:

Well I downloaded the file for inspector it does nothing. I go into the inspector I installed and I dont have those settings. these directions are missing an important step and I imagine it has to do with the reference file in the download on Github??

How do I import that xml file into inspector?

Have you downloaded this file? https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/download/2.3.0.13/nvidiaProfileInspector.zip

It's just unzip and run the exe. It doesn't have an installer.

I did not clarify it but you are supposed to have an nvidia video card.

Edited by pastranario3

3 minutes ago, pastranario3 said:

Have you downloaded this file? https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases/download/2.3.0.13/nvidiaProfileInspector.zip

It's just unzip and run the exe. It doesn't have an installer.

Yes I dl this exact file and when I run it nothing happens?? I know it is supposed to open inspector but it does not? I will retry to DL it

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

There is also the world scale setting in steamVR and the IPD setting in DCS. Not sure if those do the same thing. It would certainly be interesting to increase 3D perception. But it also would make the cockpit look larger right ?

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

5 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

Yes I dl this exact file and when I run it nothing happens?? I know it is supposed to open inspector but it does not? I will retry to DL it

NVM, I unzipped it to my Downloads folder and it then ran fine.. I will give this a go..

hace 1 minuto, winghunter dijo:

There is also the world scale setting in steamVR and the IPD setting in DCS. Not sure if those do the same thing. It would certainly be interesting to increase 3D perception. But it also would make the cockpit look larger right ?

It does not change the size of the world, it generates more depth, difficult to explain. But I think they are two different things.

Will I need to associate the DCS EXE with this profile? we did things like this with 3D vision cool stuff for sure will see in a minute what it looks like I like more Depth..

Justo ahora, The_Nephilim dijo:

Will I need to associate the DCS EXE with this profile? we did things like this with 3D vision cool stuff for sure will see in a minute what it looks like I like more Depth..

No need to associate, it works for all VR games, the only ones I've tried are DCS and Il2.

By the way, you can switch between the default profiles (_global_driver....) and the one created by us, always "applying the changes". Or use the button to restore the default settings.

yes, I will test it in a minute thanks if this works I owe you one.. 🙂

11 hours ago, pastranario3 said:

It does not change the size of the world, it generates more depth, difficult to explain. But I think they are two different things.

Apparently its the same thing though, see here for a more detailed discussion.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-feature-cockpit-size-and-world-scale-in-vr/338584

At least with current headsets there is no real focal depth, there is only an offset between your left and right eye, which your brain interprets as distance.

SteamVR WorldScale doesnt play well with DCS, but theres the DCS > options > VR > IPD setting for that.

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1

hace 5 minutos, winghunter dijo:

Apparently its the same thing though, see here for a more detailed discussion.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/bug-feature-cockpit-size-and-world-scale-in-vr/338584

At least with current headsets there is no real focal depth, there is only an offset between your left and right eye, which your brain interprets as distance.

If modifying the amplitude of the ipd causes the world to be perceived in another way, generating an increase or decrease in size. But it would not be the same with this method, I think, because there is no change in the size of the world.

In the cities and mountains the change, in my case, is great

Edited by pastranario3

So i played with the DCS IPD setting for the first time. Setting this to 50 makes the cockpit huge, 80 very small like a model aircraft. Pretty funny.

But when I set it to my measured IPD, the cockpit size change only a little. But its actually much better at altitude. I got such a sense of height I was hesitating to do a barrel roll. Interesting.

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 2

Been using the "VRdirectx" profile in inspector for a few months now, it's not made specifically for Virtual Reality but games that used stereo 3D glasses.  Some of these settings for stereo glasses are still in the drivers or you wouldn't be able to change, set, and save them.  Now if your card actually supports these specific settings is a whole other game, mine does, and it looks fantastic in VR.  In VR you have two different images generated for two different lenses, even better than the original 3D glasses with two lenses which used a single monitor image.

14 minutes ago, Nodak said:

Been using the "VRdirectx" profile in inspector for a few months now, it's not made specifically for Virtual Reality but games that used stereo 3D glasses.  Some of these settings for stereo glasses are still in the drivers or you wouldn't be able to change, set, and save them.  Now if your card actually supports these specific settings is a whole other game, mine does, and it looks fantastic in VR.  In VR you have two different images generated for two different lenses, even better than the original 3D glasses with two lenses which used a single monitor image.

Yes, But I am unsure if there is a difference in depth. as to change that you would need to seperate the 2 images in the headset which I don't see the vidoe drivers being able to accomplish?

hace 6 minutos, Vitallini dijo:

I tried this on my 8kx. Didn’t see any difference from this. I’ve double checked the settings. OP: what headset do you use?

I have several, with all the ones I tried there are changes, rift s, HP reverb g1 (preferred), oculus quest 2.

Have tests with F18, instant action and free flight.  Over the city, seeing the horizon, the distance from the mountains, in my case they make a big difference.

OK I just tried this with the Aero and Apache, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed.  Cockpit elements are popping out more in 3D stereo (MFD panels, switches, top compartment above UFD, etc.), when you fly around trees and buildings look more 3D rather than flat.  And there is no performance drop since you're just changing the 3D convergence factor.  I would rate this up there with Reshade, OpenXR, etc. in terms of improving visual quality.

The F-14B cockpit looks absolutely insane in 3D stereo, everything pops.  You have to wonder why this isn't a default NVIDIA setting for VR.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 5

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

17 minutes ago, sun4eg said:

It seems to make difference with distant objects - mountains on Caucasus seem to 'pop' a bit and thus making notion of movement more evident, I'd say.. It worth giving a try. 

For me, I can't play VR with the old setting now that I've experienced this.  This is VR + true stereo 3D.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

maybe I have done something wrong.. I am unsure but when I tried it it did not look any different.. what driver are you guys that it works for using?