BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

7 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Sorry it was a typo on my part, should be RHWLessAtScreen instead.  That one governs the other two below.

:thumbup:

Got my DCS Profile now set so should be good to go thanks.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

thank you for sharing pastranario3, this is a really great tweak!  good stuff!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

14 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

thank you for sharing pastranario3, this is a really great tweak!  good stuff!

Yeah I am now enjoying some incredibly gorgeous flights in the Apache as I go through my learning process. Sometimes I just want to fly around now admiring the amazing hills and valleys with this new found depth perception.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

36 minutes ago, dburne said:

:thumbup:

Got my DCS Profile now set so should be good to go thanks.

I see no diffrence...
I activated the vrdirectx profile, and started the SteamDCS but still same "3d" as before.. Did you manually change more settings?

Screenshot 2022-04-10 21.04.28.jpg

58 minutes ago, pastranario3 said:

Make sure you have this option enabled.

https://ibb.co/7W531Kh

Yes it is on, that's how I can see it. Problem is it doesn't give options in the pull down menu. Its only 0s.

But reading the last few responses in the thread it seems that one is not needed.

Does it matter what settings you have in textures or shadows to see any noticeable difference?

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

RHWLessAtScreen

this does not show up in my nvidiainspector

Disregard, fixed by downloading the nvidia inspector in post 1

Edited by rcjonessnp175
  • Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

23 hours ago, Supmua said:

My profile 3DVR.zip which should be the same as the one in video, for people who don't want to do it themselves.  Load with nvidiaProfileInspector app and apply changes.

No idea, Don.  I see the diff right away, it's neither subtle nor exaggerated in terms of pop-out and depth effects, just about right for me.

Yepp! I think I see the diffrence now. Too bad it takes 3 min to load up back and forth to check. But yeah, the Runway I started on felt longer and bigger with your profile activated. 

• Like 1

En 9/4/2022 a las 1:00, pastranario3 dijo:

First of all, sorry for the translation, my main language is not English.
Some time ago I realized that I was losing the "3d depth" that I had when I started with VR, I thought that maybe it was the number of years that I have been with it that my eyes got used to it, presenting itself before my eyes with a 3d with little depth. I have been researching and found information that gave me back what my eyes perceived at first, a deep 3d. Again I have that feeling of distance, relief in things, mainly short and long distance, trees, mountains look deep as it should be in a real 3d view. I really recommend that you try and tell me what you think. It is not risky, you can return the configuration as it was before.

I really recommend them, video board nvidia.

In the video I'm creating a new profile, you can do it over the default profile (_global_driver_profile) this way it's left by default and you don't have to load the new profile with every reboot. And as always you can return to the default settings just by pressing the corresponding button.

I have realized that there is already a profile with these modifications, you only have to select the "VRdirectx" option in the "profiles" tab. 

You must first download the Nvidia Inspector app https://github.com/Orbmu2k/nvidiaProfileInspector/releases

Instructions in video

Easy method, with built-in profile

Hi, In the minute 2.52 of the first video you change stereo profile from NO to YES, but it is becaus you are using a custom profile, must I change it to YES in the global driver profile or must I leave it to NO?

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

I'm b afraid of heights, in the beginning I had problems with DCS in VR because I literally got scared, but hat wore off over time. 

Today after trying that mod, I got a slight panic attack looking thru the bottom glass in the Huey. So yes, there is something different and better now. Not exaggerated or game'ish but subtle and enhancing. Hope that wears not off. 

Thanx for the heads up. 

• Like 2

The best 3D showcase I've found so far are those instant action free flying missions in PG using either the Viper or Hornet.  Ground objects really pop, especially buildings.

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

For me this only improves the cockpit 3D effect, not the terrain. But its very subtle.

Probably due to StereoCutoff being set to 0x000000 (off)

This page has a good overview of all settings in case you want to play around

http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Driver_Profile_Settings#StereoCutoff_.280x709a1ddf_.2F_0x704fcf5c_.2F_0x7053569a.29

• Like 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

• pastranario3 changed the title to BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!
hace 28 minutos, winghunter dijo:

For me this only improves the cockpit 3D effect, not the terrain. But its very subtle.

Probably due to StereoCutoff being set to 0x000000 (off)

This page has a good overview of all settings in case you want to play around

http://wiki.bo3b.net/index.php?title=Driver_Profile_Settings#StereoCutoff_.280x709a1ddf_.2F_0x704fcf5c_.2F_0x7053569a.29

Where it is most noticeable is on the terrain (buildings, trees, mountains, relief, etc), it is enough to use the modification for a while and return to default and the change in my case and that of several others is very evident.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pastranario3 said:

Where it is most noticeable is on the terrain (buildings, trees, mountains, relief, etc), it is enough to use the modification for a while and return to default and the change in my case and that of several others is very evident.

youre on a G2 or quest 2?

I haven't had the chance to try this yet - but by the reports it's looking like it's an absolute must when I get the chance.

I can't help but wonder though... it simply selecting another default profile (VRDirectx) and using it's parameters has such a massive positive change on a random profile.... what additional enhancements yet again could be achieved if we knew what all these values did and could tweak them specifically for the DCS world? 

For me, the DCS world always felt.... 'small'. The aircraft carrier didn't reflect the actual distance I would expect to feel from one end to the other. Likewise buildings, etc. I'm really keen to give this a shot and see what sort of difference it makes. 

I've changed the most promising values RHWLessAtScreen and StereoConvergence to extremes from 0.1 to 6, changed through several presets of extremely different games. It makes no difference at all in DCS.

RHWLessAtScreen seems to have no effect.

StereoConvergence should be the equivalent to the DCS > options > VR > IPD adjustment. But it seems to have 0 effect on DCS. Which is quite common that Nvidia control panel settings are completely ignored by DCS. StereoConvergence also may have no effect because i override the IPD inside DCS via "force ipd". So that the default IPD is not used. Which may be changed by this mod, so some people may see an effect. But then again its easier to adjust IPD in game rather than through control panel settings.

Will play with the other settings tomorrow, but from what they do according to docs, they would only change the close 3D vision to resovle UI clipping issues.

grafik.png

Edited by winghunter

Too bad there is no modern GUI for this.  Would love to have some sort of sliders to alter things around, and at the same time see the changes in real-time.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

5 hours ago, pastranario3 said:

I have applied your profile. How do you reset to default profile, so I can quickly check the difference?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

5 hours ago, winghunter said:

StereoConvergence should be the equivalent to the DCS > options > VR > IPD adjustment.

It is not. IPD is stereo separation. Convergence is where your eyes "look at", the virtual screen plane. 

To my understanding, this tweak is adjusting parameters used in 3D cinema to make stereoscopic 3D effect more prominent, and make up for the lack of depth perception from eye accommodation. Part of our depth perception as humans comes from our eyes changing focus between close and distant objects, and that's something we don't have in VR.

http://3droundabout.com/2011/08/4197/the-basics-of-shooting-stereoscopic-3d-part-1.html

http://3droundabout.com/2011/09/4908/the-basics-of-shooting-stereoscopic-3d-–-part-2.html

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I tried this just few minutes, not hard at all to remove DCS.EXE from blackshark preset and add it in Directxvr , so should fire everytime I start DCS.
What I noticed is a bit of eyestraining and a bit of nausea effect, but I had a beer just before flying so can't exlude it was this.
But on the positive note, I surprised myself trying to grab the throttle in my F/A18 , maybe the effect is subtle but enough to make your brain believe more that VR is real? This could explain the bit of nausea flying a jet, as I'm not used to real world flying.
Will test more, if eyestrain disappear, I will try other titles as well.

I hate to be the party pooper here but what you are seeing here is probably not going to last.

As soon as your brain gets acclimatized to the new "depth" perception settings you will lose that "pop-in". It doesn't mean that you will stop seeing the images in 3d, they will still be in 3d, just the same as they already are now but your brain will process them in a way to minimize vertigo and other disorienting effects as you change focus from near to far objects in your VR goggles. 

What you are probably experiencing now is a subtle version of the same effect that you had when first putting on your VR headsets. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

6 hours ago, some1 said:

It is not. IPD is stereo separation. Convergence is where your eyes "look at", the virtual screen plane. 

To my understanding, this tweak is adjusting parameters used in 3D cinema to make stereoscopic 3D effect more prominent, and make up for the lack of depth perception from eye accommodation. Part of our depth perception as humans comes from our eyes changing focus between close and distant objects, and that's something we don't have in VR.

The IPD setting in DCS is incorrectly labeled.
"Racking convergence can have some very unexpected effects on the viewer’s perception of the image, since the object can appear to get larger or smaller relative to its original perceived size due to the amount of stereo effect changing." which is what the IPD adjustment in DCS is causing, the cockpit feels too small or large if set incorrectly.

Exactly, in VR we dont have focal depth as our headsets have a single focus lens. Which is why presently the only way to give a depth illusion is through convergence. Next gen headsets are going to change that though, here is an interesting overview.

These are 2D tricks that a monitor or TV is already doing. Its what every game engine essentialy does with rendering a pseudo 3D scene on a 2D monitor.

grafik.png

Binocular disparity and motion parallax are already exploitet by current gen headsets. While the "convergence & acommodation conflict" is the difference of the distance our eyes converge vs where the distance they focus. Thats the focal distance that current gen headsets can not emulate. So theres nothing left to tweak other than the binocular disparity or however you want to call it. Its what the DCS IPD adjustment is doing.

grafik.png

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1