BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

9 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Are the latest nVidia drivers needed for this?

Shame there is no direct on/off option to the difference directly in game without restarting DCS (or is there?).

don't know about any driver requirement, I've been using the latest one anyways.   (not aware of any "on the fly" type  change  capability either, sorry)

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

ya i use that 3dvr profile a fella provided and hooked both dcs exe's to it.  Just unhooked those exes and did a test noticed no difference,  then rehooked the exe's didnt see any difference.  The vr in oculus is pretty 3d compared to the Samsung Odyssey and WMR.   Maybe this just doesnt work with the Oculus Api which is fine,  it seemed like maybe terrain looked more 3d yesterday but doing a test with it on and off no difference for me.

Placebo for oculus on my end

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

13 minutes ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

Maybe this just doesnt work with the Oculus Api

Placebo for oculus on my end

Same here with a Rift-S.

Changed driver to the latest (471,14 to 512,15), keyed in the values directly into Digital Combat Sim: Black Shark profile --> applied.

No difference...

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

hace 36 minutos, Lange_666 dijo:

Same here with a Rift-S.

Changed driver to the latest (471,14 to 512,15), keyed in the values directly into Digital Combat Sim: Black Shark profile --> applied.

No difference...

the Digital Combat Sim: Black Shark profile has other options activated, in my case it generates a lot of fog and the effect is less noticeable. It is better to create a new profile only with the options of post 1.

I added the settings to my Digital Combat Simulator profile as well as my IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad profile. They both are working great with these settings and both are really gorgeous now with the extra 3d effect. I am very pleased.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I've been swapping back and forth between SteamVR and OpenXR today.  One thing that I can say for sure is that depth perception is much better in OpenXR mode by itself, flying low is much smoother on the Aero instead of juddering in SteamVR which probably gives me better parallax effect.  So the question is how much of this is actually due to OpenXR itself rather than the NVIDIA settings...

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

One thing exept u use the integrated GPU (HMD conected to Graphic card, not Motherboard video port), or u have not set:

• Use the advanced 3D image settings

1649725420066.jpg

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Has anyone been able to undo the 3D effects?  What’s bothering me is that I haven’t been able to reverse this via profile editing, it seems to stick.  So I’m wondering if my brain is messing with me or my old NVIDIA profile was messed up causing flat images in VR and somehow just running NVinspector corrected this.  I don’t remember seeing good 3D effects in VR prior to this though.  Maybe this is what we should’ve seen all along.  Too bad I don’t have an AMD card to compare, well it won’t work with the Aero anyway.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Hey don't shoot the messenger here folks 🙂 but I'm fairly sure none of these nvidia profile settings have any impact on VR with DCS or any app. What's probably happening is that applying a profile change in inspector is then going back to all profile all defaults, and for some that's improving the experience. So I'm not discounting it might be better or different for people, just that these values do anything VR related at all and the 'reset' profile is what's happening.

Even the profile that people are having success with of 'VRdirectx' is a bit of a misunderstanding. 'VRdirectx' the exe appname of a title called 'V-Rally: Edition 99' from 1998 and for the Nvidia 3D Vision specs (the polarized lens ones, that introduced a pseudo 3D effect using depth buffers in old 2D games during that 3D TV fashion time we had). https://www.mobygames.com/game/v-rally-edition-99. So the 'V R' here is meaning 'V-Rally', so dust off your 3DFX Voodoo cards!

I checked with Microsoft's mbucchia (one of the authors of OXR Toolkit a lot of us use with DCS) and his thoughts were:

"They change StereoConvergence and it makes no sense at all, be cause the projection matrices for the game rendering are passed from SteamVR/OpenXR, and believe me when I say that we certainly don't honor these settings.
Everything starting with Stereo in the list above likely does nothing unless you use the 3D Vision stuff above (which I am sure nobody does)
Looking at the thread, most messages "this made no difference" which is 100% what I expect 
I need to write an article and its title will be 'Yo People, your GPU driver knows NOTHING about VR'

I've just looked for that string through the entire Windows source code and it does not exist, the only reference to "VRdirectX" that google returns is the V-Rally game from 1999."

Anyway, just wanted to pass that on if people get annoyed they don't see a difference with this.

• Like 6

Thats what my guess was as well, its hard enough to change anything in DCS with driver settings.

Also just getting your brain to focus on the 3D effect may create the illusion that there is more 3D than you have noticed before. Kind of like the placebo effect. So its very hard to quanitfy if there is any difference. It would need a blind A / B comparision to get an unbiased result.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

We can prob do blind A/B test by taking screenshots of VR mirror images and see how images in each eye are rendered, the problem is that now it always look the same to me with better 3D no matter which profile is used.  I can do A/B with SteamVR/OpenXR since I can at least still see the differences but that says nothing about the NVIDIA settings. 

Edited by Supmua

hace 7 horas, fearlessfrog dijo:

Hey don't shoot the messenger here folks 🙂 but I'm fairly sure none of these nvidia profile settings have any impact on VR with DCS or any app. What's probably happening is that applying a profile change in inspector is then going back to all profile all defaults, and for some that's improving the experience. So I'm not discounting it might be better or different for people, just that these values do anything VR related at all and the 'reset' profile is what's happening.

Even the profile that people are having success with of 'VRdirectx' is a bit of a misunderstanding. 'VRdirectx' the exe appname of a title called 'V-Rally: Edition 99' from 1998 and for the Nvidia 3D Vision specs (the polarized lens ones, that introduced a pseudo 3D effect using depth buffers in old 2D games during that 3D TV fashion time we had). https://www.mobygames.com/game/v-rally-edition-99. So the 'V R' here is meaning 'V-Rally', so dust off your 3DFX Voodoo cards!

I checked with Microsoft's mbucchia (one of the authors of OXR Toolkit a lot of us use with DCS) and his thoughts were:

Anyway, just wanted to pass that on if people get annoyed they don't see a difference with this.

Here too you keep insisting on that.  First of all we are not crazy... the effect is very visible and changes from one profile to another.  I don't understand the meaning of your posts, let this flow, there are people who have had better 3d, others haven't, for example I don't have an improvement with openxr and many people do, each rig is different.  So please do not continue with the fact that there is no change, the 3d change is visible and to confirm I have asked another person to load profiles for me and without knowing which profile is loaded, name the 3d profile, and effectively name it correctly , therefore there is no placebo effect, I do not understand why you insist on that.  So again let it flow and let people enjoy the changes.  Greetings.

• Like 1

It would really help if those for whom the settings work could deactivate/reset each of the settings one by one to identify whats causing the actual change.

Because some of these settings seem way outdated (2002) and are no longer used by current graphics drivers. So there must be one or two settings at most, that make the actual difference. Then we can investigate further what these specific settings do.

https://forum.dcs.world/uploads/monthly_2022_04/image.png.4842205ef84718f5512f24a1b72141d0.png

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I think that this might be different from 3D SBS (for example, from Vorpx) that I'm used to where you can alter eye separation, convergence factor, etc. and see the changes right away.  I tried playing around with parameters and couldn't cause any new changes, and somebody mentioned above that altering Stereo info shouldn't affect VR, so this got me thinking.  I wonder if this is our eyes rather than software are doing the actual trick altering brain perception in lieu of autostereogram or something less extreme, where you can see extra 3D effects depending on whether the two eyes are focusing in front of or behind the default focal plane.  This might explain why some see it and others don't, and why once you see it it won't go away (at least in my case) since our eyes and brain have now been trained to perceive this.  There're plenty of examples where brain perception of colors or geometry can be altered depending on the focal plane or objects that are nearby.🙄

If there's anyone that find the effects reversible please post here including how to.

Edited by Supmua

Not me I ain't even going to try to reverse this, I am just gonna shut up and very much enjoy what I have now.

🤪

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

56 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I think that this might be different from 3D SBS (for example, from Vorpx) that I'm used to where you can alter eye separation, convergence factor, etc. and see the changes right away.  I tried playing around with parameters and couldn't cause any new changes, and somebody mentioned above that altering Stereo info shouldn't affect VR, so this got me thinking.  I wonder if this is our eyes rather than software are doing the actual trick altering brain perception in lieu of autostereogram or something less extreme, where you can see extra 3D effects depending on whether the two eyes are focusing in front of or behind the default focal plane.  This might explain why some see it and others don't, and why once you see it it won't go away (at least in my case) since our eyes and brain have now been trained to perceive this.  There're plenty of examples where brain perception of colors or geometry can be altered depending on the focal plane or objects that are nearby.🙄

If there's anyone that find the effects reversible please post here including how to.

maybe uninstall your nVidia driver, DDU, and then re-install? 

Via nVidia profile inspector, clicking on "restore current profile to nVidia defaults" does nothing?

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Ya this is turning sci-fi, wish I could be certain it works in oculus, flying allot last night external cameras seem maybe more 3d but at this point whatever I’ll keep it setup with that profile.  Vr should mimic reality not what we saw on 3d screens with 3dvision and this may be such a minor thing for some but others perceive it as huge change.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

Not tried this yet, but just a thought to the is it or isn't argument. How many people are using the stereo monitors setting in DCS? I wonder if that will have an impact on the functionality of these settings. When I have run DCS with this, I'm not sure there is any difference in VR but starting a flight (to test) in 2D mode DCS renders a left and right copy. Just like the "both" VR mirror option. That might trigger the section of the profile that is being tweaked? Also from what I understood about the profile inspector, it should only work in either the global or DCS profile as these are basically expanded versions of the NVCP. What was said above about VRdirectX being another game makes sense.

Edited by Hoirtel

Not me I ain't even going to try to reverse this, I am just gonna shut up and very much enjoy what I have now.

Me too. I do not think I want to by any chance alter what I getting with this settings in VR. It is like a breathe of fresh air into my VR experience.
The way 3d object pops is fascinating. I appreciate the work on the Apache cockpit design by Ed the more.
Navy asset are just pleasant to look at. Loaded one of the the KA-50 instant missions in Marianas map and the effect was glaring.
Perception could be different from person to person but I can attest to the fact that I am seeing way different from before.

I have next-to-nothing idea on how this was done but it sure look good.
Hoping when I return to dcs the effect would still be there.
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

this whole topic is getting pretty comical now. 😄 😄

without ANY empirical evidence in the form of screenshots showing the introduced delta's it's akin to some nerdy religion at this point. 😄

- but how do I know it works??

- Have faith, my brother, as God in his everlasting wisdom and power will bless you with additional stereo vision within an already stereo scene!

😇

21 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

It is like a breathe of fresh air into my VR experience

Exacly - now I can read ever radio freqency on my UFC, or waypoint number without zoom. Earlier even with zoom it was very frustrating when u mistaking WP06 with WP08 cause they looked the same

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

12 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

this whole topic is getting pretty comical now. 😄 😄

without ANY empirical evidence in the form of screenshots showing the introduced delta's it's akin to some nerdy religion at this point. 😄

- but how do I know it works??

- Have faith, my brother, as God in his everlasting wisdom and power will bless you with additional stereo vision within an already stereo scene!

😇

Moding games is like talking about drugs - u never know how it is until u try.

And if it works I do not ask why just enjoy the fly.

Edit: * if moding works! Do not take drugs kids!

Edited by TylerPL666