BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

Oh I def saw the positive changes in pop outs and depth perception, but I can’t unsee it or make it look the way it was before.  I do coronary interventions for a living working on blood vessels that are typically a few mm in size so I’m fairly confident that my current vision is good (if not god help those patients lol).

Anyway, I’m probably going to DDU the NVIDIA driver tomorrow and start from scratch and will see if I can record any changes via VR mirror snapshots. 

For the people with AMD GPU though how good is the 3D effect in VR on your setup?

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'm quite happy with my 3d on AMD , but cannot comment on the mod .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

and here's the religious talk I've talked about.. 😄

I converted a little while back, and now worship at the altar of OpenXR....   🙂

• Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

this whole topic is getting pretty comical now. 😄 😄

without ANY empirical evidence in the form of screenshots showing the introduced delta's it's akin to some nerdy religion at this point. 😄

- but how do I know it works??

- Have faith, my brother, as God in his everlasting wisdom and power will bless you with additional stereo vision within an already stereo scene!

😇

There is no need to ridicule those who are enjoying these new tweaks that improve the VR experience for them.

59 minutes ago, Svsmokey said:

I'm quite happy with my 3d on AMD , but cannot comment on the mod .

The changes to graphics settings being talked about in this thread is not a Mod.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, pastranario3 said:

Here too you keep insisting on that.  First of all we are not crazy... the effect is very visible and changes from one profile to another.  I don't understand the meaning of your posts, let this flow, there are people who have had better 3d, others haven't, for example I don't have an improvement with openxr and many people do, each rig is different.  So please do not continue with the fact that there is no change, the 3d change is visible and to confirm I have asked another person to load profiles for me and without knowing which profile is loaded, name the 3d profile, and effectively name it correctly , therefore there is no placebo effect, I do not understand why you insist on that.  So again let it flow and let people enjoy the changes.  Greetings.

You seem to have misunderstood what I am saying. I never mentioned a placebo effect or people not seeing a change. I just said that the reason you are seeing the change isn't anything to do with using a V-Rally Nvidia 3D Glasses 1998 released 2D game profile settings. It's more likely that you are just inadvertently fixed your previous profile setting through this process. Running nvinspector and doing the 'apply' has maybe updated/overwritten previous values that were broke for you?

I don't mind/care/object (delete as applicable) that people are enjoying this, good on them, but others don't want just a 'feeling' based explanation akin to something like 'VR homeopathy'. There's a lot of that going on in the world already and sometimes it's worth some discussion on the 'why'.

If anyone can grab a static scene using the VR mirror and upload a before / after image then the differences should be obvious with a compare. For me the process didn't work, so I can't do that (I'm a Capricorn if that helps). 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, dburne said:

There is no need to ridicule those who are enjoying these new tweaks that improve the VR experience for them.

I'm not ridiculing anyone specific here, Don. I'm ridiculing the whole topic because all it has is how everybody 'feels'. 😄  I feel great today. I'm sure you do too. 😄

If this is a technical correction/configuration/modification etc, then there must be a way to show the Before and After state of the matter. Until someone produces the visual evidence this topic will continue be met with some hefty dose of skepticism. 😄

Everyone's dying to get to the bottom of this. It's that serious. 😄 

You will never capture what we are seeing on a 2d image on the monitor.

My experience is not based on a feeling, it is based on a fact and that is I see an improved over the 3d affect.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hace 8 minutos, peachmonkey dijo:

I'm not ridiculing anyone specific here, Don. I'm ridiculing the whole topic because all it has is how everybody 'feels'. 😄  I feel great today. I'm sure you do too. 😄

If this is a technical correction/configuration/modification etc, then there must be a way to show the Before and After state of the matter. Until someone produces the visual evidence this topic will continue be met with some hefty dose of skepticism. 😄

Everyone's dying to get to the bottom of this. It's that serious. 😄 

It is not about evidence, there is no need to show evidence, if you want it you can take it, otherwise go your way and do not bother with ridiculous answers full of double meanings.. 😄

How exactly was anybody pushing this?  I posted these settings back on Jan 31 for the first time on the 'other' forum and here mid Feb.  No one really gave a rip, very few tried and it, whatever it did worked for them, some it didn't, the threads never went anywhere, nobody pushed it.  Nobody really cares about your anxieties.  If you want to question how it works fine, knock yourself out, but maybe you ought to contain your own fervor and let that part go.  I just see a few guys excited over the effect it has for them, nothing wrong with that, I liked the effects myself, so I shared them, is that a crime or somehow wrong? 

And its not really a mod, never touches the game, simply some obscure nvidia settings, far as I know no one been harmed and no property damage incurred, so far.  Either use it or don't, no one's forcing anyone, the recorded record of events proves that.  Accusation ain't right against the original poster, he just shared the tip cause he was impressed by the effects himself.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

You will never capture what we are seeing on a 2d image on the monitor.

The VR mirror shows the left and right eye images. A screenshot of it before / after the profile change would then differ enough to show how the 3D effect for you is different? 

6 minutes ago, pastranario3 said:

It is not about evidence, there is no need to show evidence..

I think I understand where you are coming from now. Thanks for the original tip, and I hope people enjoy the improvements they see.

15 minutes ago, fearlessfrog said:

The VR mirror shows the left and right eye images. A screenshot of it before / after the profile change would then differ enough to show how the 3D effect for you is different?

That would be a good method as well. A before and after image of the exact same scene, i.e. cold start mission on ground. Then we can do a pixel comparision to see what the effect does.

Its not about who is RIGHT or WRONG but
1. To determine if there is a measurable effect and
2. how others can benefit from this effect who currently can not replicate this on their machines.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Seems very simple to me.

1: If you try it and do not see a perceivable difference, double check all 5 settings and insure you have them set properly. If you try it again after double checking and still see no perceivable difference, then it does not work for you. Move on and forget about it.

2: If you try and and do see and like the difference, good for you enjoy and keep enjoying.  There is no need whatsoever to prove or disprove what is going on here. Like most other graphical settings, some things work better than others for different folks. Undoubtedly that is the case here as well.

I tried it yesterday and did not care for it, as I could not see a perceivable difference. I had already reset my graphics to default and deleted Nvidia Inspector.  After seeing more positive reports from others I decided I would give it another go. Carefully checking each of the 5 settings that Supmua had highlighted earlier. This time it worked, and has been working for me ever since. 

I intend to continue flying with my graphics settings as I have them now. My wish is for everyone to do the same, that is to  enjoy what you have irregardless and forget about the small stuff. This here is small stuff.

Just have a look at the two very lengthy Open XR threads, similar thing - it is all about different folks achieving different results.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

Questions

1: Can people running an Oculus device confirm that they have more 3D depth?

2: Can people with more then one device make the switch between a non Oculus and Oculus device and confirm that it works for both? 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, dburne said:

The changes to graphics settings being talked about in this thread is not a Mod.

It is not a DCS mod to be sure , but it certainly is a mod . I have followed this thread quite closely , and need not to be educated as to what it's discussing .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

As this is just for fun.. Win10, Nvidia 3080Ti, HP Reverb G2, OXR via oc-acc - you can use the 'Swipe' or 'Onion Skin' tools at the bottom to see the difference between the first 'off' and 'on' images. I rebooted between them and used Supmua's imported profile.

For me personally I don't see any 3D perspective difference here. DCS open beta latest, Apache cold start, with some random differences in clouds maybe?

https://github.com/fearlessfrog/dcs-vrdirectx-compare/commit/25046e4a8d6e14363605ef78b87ae62d8ce00507

I am not claiming that others aren't seeing stuff, just trying to quantify the change for me personally.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fearlessfrog said:

As this is just for fun.. Win10, Nvidia 3080Ti, HP Reverb G2, OXR via oc-acc - you can use the 'Swipe' or 'Onion Skin' tools at the bottom to see the difference between the first 'off' and 'on' images. I rebooted between them and used Supmua's imported profile.

For me personally I don't see any 3D perspective difference here. DCS open beta latest, Apache cold start, with some random differences in clouds maybe?

https://github.com/fearlessfrog/dcs-vrdirectx-compare/commit/25046e4a8d6e14363605ef78b87ae62d8ce00507

I am not claiming that others aren't seeing stuff, just trying to quantify the change for me personally.

I see it quite nicely in the Apache Cold Start training mission.

But not  parked on the ground, only flying over the terrain. And I still say a 2d image is not going to show it. Like I say if one does not see it then they don't see it, move on and enjoy what you have. No none needs to prove anything here.

Edited by dburne

Don B

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

And I still say a 2d image is not going to show it.

You'd admit though that the VR headset doesn't actually have a little helicopter in it with a mini Caucasus region stuffed in there though, right? 🙂

It's showing your left and right eyes two separate images, and the difference between them creates an impression of depth. The VR mirror is a direct copy of the buffers given to the two displays in the headset. 

Not being rude, but where do you think the 3D image then comes from? I know I sound a bit facetious here, but I'm trying to find some common ground. I don't mean any offence just curious on how you arrived at that.

Is your hardware the same? Maybe it's a difference in that, e.g. headset or something?

EDIT: Ah, see your edit - you have something good but don't want to help others have the same, or are at all curious on how it works. No worries, sorry for the bother.

Edited by fearlessfrog

To be fair, there are such things as exact same image being perceived differently based on how your eyes behave.  Autostereogram for example, can give you extra 3D image perception based on the convergence point and accommodation point. If you look up one of those images you’ll see what I meant. 

Not saying this is exactly what’s going on here. It could also be that some of us had crappy original NVIDIA profile and somehow running NVInspector just fixed it, and this is the type of 3D effects that AMD folks or people with good profile have been enjoying all along. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Just now, Supmua said:

Not saying this is exactly what’s going on here. It could also be that some of us had crappy original NVIDIA profile and somehow running NVInspector just fixed it, and this is the type of 3D effects that AMD folks or people with good profile have been enjoying all along. 

Yep, it's possible for sure. If you are redoing your drivers and can capture this with a VR mirror (I think you mentioned it earlier in this topic) then that would be ideal. Holla if you want an image compare tool etc. as happy to help.

17 minutes ago, fearlessfrog said:

You'd admit though that the VR headset doesn't actually have a little helicopter in it with a mini Caucasus region stuffed in there though, right? 🙂

It's showing your left and right eyes two separate images, and the difference between them creates an impression of depth. The VR mirror is a direct copy of the buffers given to the two displays in the headset. 

Not being rude, but where do you think the 3D image then comes from? I know I sound a bit facetious here, but I'm trying to find some common ground. I don't mean any offence just curious on how you arrived at that.

Is your hardware the same? Maybe it's a difference in that, e.g. headset or something?

EDIT: Ah, see your edit - you have something good but don't want to help others have the same, or are at all curious on how it works. No worries, sorry for the bother.

I am pretty sure if you review my posts in this thread I have no problem helping others have the same.

But I am not here to debate the how's and the why's nor to troubleshoot why one experienced it and another don't. Not to prove anything or disprove anything. I have no idea how MSAA works but I like the result I get. That is all that matters to me I could care less for the technical jargon.

• Like 2

Don B

I still like to know if somebody sees anything with oculus,  sounds to me WMRand steam vr headsets had something screwy with profile and this fixed it for some…. I remember back in wmr Samsung odyssey days that tool ED put in for mis alignment of lenses when I messed with that I got a much more extreme 3d picture.  

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

3 minutes ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

I still like to know if somebody sees anything with oculus, 

2 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Questions

1: Can people running an Oculus device confirm that they have more 3D depth?

2: Can people with more then one device make the switch between a non Oculus and Oculus device and confirm that it works for both? 

• Thanks 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, fearlessfrog said:

Thanks, thats a great method to compare. If there are any 3D difference, it would show in the 2D stero mirror. All the headset does is present those images to the left and right eye. There is no more processing by the graphics driver before the image reaches the user's eye, afaik. If someone for whom the mod works could create such a comarison image it would be very helpful to understand whats going on.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I plan to do some serious testing with screenshots tomorrow night if time permits.  One thing I did notice recently also is that I no longer have pixelated clouds, don't think it's NVIDIA related but it could be due to DCS update or the fact that I'm running my Varjo at 7K horizontal resolution.  In the past I'd see some cloud pixelations typically at the horizon line or along the border of very thin layer of clouds, now none it's just as pristine looking as the aircraft cockpits.  Actually I'm not sure if it could get better than this (ok the framerate and FOV could be better, but that's about it).  So whatever combination of things is going on, this is the best visual I've ever gotten out of DCS VR.  My clouds setting is standard btw.

Also keep in mind that what you see in VR mirrors do not 100% reflect what you'd see in the VR headset.  It replicates camera/eye angle and positioning but cannot accurately convey sharpness/exposure/saturation/contrast/etc of the VR headset.  For example, if I run a mission with my Valve Index vs Varjo the VR mirrors may look very similar but what you'd actually see in the headsets is almost night and day with the latter giving much superior visual quality and possibly depth perception as well.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1