BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

7 hours ago, Supmua said:

And this is image 11.png compared with 11.png with 4 pixels shift to the right.  Notice how the thickness of the red area is much more uniform, especially in the distance.

6a4b2a836b22e1d9dda5d1d8bf0f9f0a.TxcDy7HDrQTUSqhTbHTWn8tbEjgBWd2l.png

It looks like there is a simple camera offset tbh, you should first adjust the camera offset by overlaying the pictures as good as possible and then compare.

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

2 hours ago, winghunter said:

It looks like there is a simple camera offset tbh, you should first adjust the camera offset by overlaying the pictures as good as possible and then compare.

That is because it is a just simple offset of an identical image intentionally made by me. This second image is my control group in the experiment because if I use identical images with same alignment there would be no red area in the picture, but everybody knows that right and I want to compare the red area vs red area. 
This is just one sample size vs control so it is not a good study, need to do at least 30-50 of these to check reproducibility but it is time consuming. 

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Ok sry i missed that. Anyhow, i think the differences in the first image are negligible. If there was a different stereoscopic effect, the geometry should be vastly different in some places / angles.

But the differences are very uniform around the outlines of geometry, which can be easily attributed to aliasing / noise. What you should see instead is 5-10 pixels offset around near geometry i.e. the cockpit frame or distant geometry, while in other places there would be no geometric offset.

Edited by winghunter
  • Thanks 1

Been watching 3D movies...and I think I can reliably see changes when switching the profile back and forth.  Only with this though since you can do A/B comparison quickly, I still can't say for sure about DCS.  With 3D SBS videos, there's no geometry difference since it's fixed however the video seems to pop more with the vrdirectx profile compared to global one--somebody said before that it was like focus stacking in photography and it's kind of like that.  The overall image quality is shaper and has better definition.  So I think it may have something to do with texture map?

I use Deo VR and free 8K movies on their site, some excellent band music videos on there.  Need to run your headset at 100% or higher.   The good news is that this takes seconds to do back and forth since you can load the movies very quickly, instead of running DCS each time which can take minutes.  The improvement is subtle, sort of like the difference between using old vs new distortion profile for the Varjo Aero.  Some people don't see degradation in image quality with the new distortion profile but I do so I'm still using the old one.  Also interestingly, some people see red color lift/popout with the new Aero update, others don't, lol, so yeah we see all kinds of things.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

@Supmua 

If you have not yet load up the Apache Cold Start Mission in Persian Gulf Map. If you have the Apache I am thinking you do. Fly to first waypoint out toward the coastline, and check out all those buildings around there now. They look absolutely stunning now with all the depth they now have.  Even just looking down at the bridges and being able to easily see the elevation they have over the water. Pretty amazing.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

@Supmua 
If you have not yet load up the Apache Cold Start Mission in Persian Gulf Map. If you have the Apache I am thinking you do. Fly to first waypoint out toward the coastline, and check out all those buildings around there now. They look absolutely stunning now with all the depth they now have.  Even just looking down at the bridges and being able to easily see the elevation they have over the water. Pretty amazing.
Yes. The coast line, the trees and the building just shines in 3d.
Would you believe I love just flying that mission to go there and watch below me.
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I've been doing mostly combat missions (more fun lol), but yeah that cold start area is quite spectacular.  It hit my CPU frametime pretty hard on the airfield though, got around 25ms while GPU frametime was only 19-20ms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Supmua said:

I've been doing mostly combat missions (more fun lol), but yeah that cold start area is quite spectacular.  It hit my CPU frametime pretty hard on the airfield though, got around 25ms while GPU frametime was only 19-20ms.

Same here all those Apaches and not optimized crushes frames right now.  But flying around those buildings is a sight for sure 

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

I may have applied this 3d setting to my global profile. I launched msfs2020 (rarely fly) and did the Egypt pyramid tour flight, it was scaring to look down over those pyramid. I do not flying that Sim often but I am sure something changed.
Looking down the mountains from above is so spectacular.
Anyone tried it in that civilian Sim because it is different for me.

The Sedona familiarization l training flight kind of convinced me about the change. That I have done before.

The 3d world in that civilian Sim just blew me away especially from above.

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

9 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

I may have applied this 3d setting to my global profile. I launched msfs2020 (rarely fly) and did the Egypt pyramid tour flight, it was scaring to look down over those pyramid. I do not flying that Sim often but I am sure something changed.
Looking down the mountains from above is so spectacular.
Anyone tried it in that civilian Sim because it is different for me.

I have only tried it in DCS and IL-2 so far, have not got around to testing it in MSFS 2020 but am sure it will be a nice improvement.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have only tried it in DCS and IL-2 so far, have not got around to testing it in MSFS 2020 but am sure it will be a nice improvement.
Give it a go there. Pure satisfaction for me.
The depth is amazingly deep if I can put it like that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eaglewings said:

Yeah it is kind of hard to describe but I see that in the two previously mentioned titles , it is amazing for sure. I will have a go with the third one here soon.

Don B

4 hours ago, Eaglewings said:

are you able to turn it on and off in the profile ? Or is it permanently enabled now

I have not tried turning it off. I think it permanently there now. I do have just two profiles, the global and digital combat -Black shark. Two of my flight sims (DCS and Msfs2020) has received the enhanced 3d effect using the 3d effect settings in vr. Other  vr sims I want to try now is P3D, steam Eurotruck/American Truck, Asseto Corsa. I am doubtful I would see much in the ground sims because I have found that this 3d vr setting show tremendous depth in aerial views. 

Beside the 3d effect, clarity in cockpit seems to have gotten a touch in dcs.  

However there is strong inclination not to messed up things are they are now.

On 4/9/2022 at 1:00 AM, pastranario3 said:

default profile (_global_driver_profile)

U have Optimal Performance in Power management settings in Global Profile. I would very recomend switch to Prefer maximum performance.  Its Nvidia "overclock" for GPU - it give more voltage and more Hz for, as its name - Max performance. 

If youre worried about high tempreture my GTX for years working on 83-84*C all the time when I play games - its that GPU (my is GTX 1080Ti) optimal temprature.

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

I just can't got over how great the Persian Gulf is looking now flying low in the Apache around the coastal cities. Flying around some of those buildings is just breathtaking. 

Don B

+1 for this mod. I have been oculusing since the dev kit days so maybe im just more sensitive to changes but this was night and day different for me. Love this depth this has given! No way im turning this off now 🙂 

• Like 3

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

4 hours ago, cloudkake said:

+1 for this mod. I have been oculusing since the dev kit days so maybe im just more sensitive to changes but this was night and day different for me. Love this depth this has given! No way im turning this off now 🙂 

:thumbup:

Love seeing these reports. Same for me, not a chance of turning it off on this end.

Don B

20 minutes ago, Paul_Exotic said:

Has anyone gotten this effect to work using a Quest 2 and running DCS in native Oculus mode?  I'm on the fence to give this a try but it seems like Oculus users are having less of an impact from this compared to SteamVR/WMR users...

Thats exactly how im running it. 

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

I see no difference running a Rift-S in native Oculus mode, i don't have SteamVR so i can't try that.

However, if i check the Oculus settings, there is a setting called OpenXR runtime and it Oculus is set as active OpenXR runtime.

image.png

But... i have no clue what this exactly means and what runtime runs...

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I applied this mod, and here's what it LOOKED like it did.... I'm not saying it actually did what I'm about to describe, and I'm no expert in human vision, but here goes...

There are two things that contribute to depth perception that I know of...

1) parallax, the difference between the images sent to the left and right eyes and..

2) the relative (speed of) motion of objects.  Essentially closer objects seem to move faster than than those that are far away.

This mod seems to affected #2 above....  doesnt seem right, I wouldnt think that possible, and it's probably not... but to me (and dimension is in the eye of the beerholder of course).. that's what happened.  the relative speed of motion between objects at different distances seems to have subtly changed...

did that actually happen?  I have no idea... i'll keep the changes for now:)

Edited by j9murphy

50 minutes ago, j9murphy said:

I applied this mod, and here's what it LOOKED like it did.... I'm not saying it actually did what I'm about to describe, and I'm no expert in human vision, but here goes...

There are two things that contribute to depth perception that I know of...

1) parallax, the difference between the images sent to the left and right eyes and..

2) the relative (speed of) motion of objects.  Essentially closer objects seem to move faster than than those that are far away.

This mod seems to affected #2 above....  doesnt seem right, I wouldnt think that possible, and it's probably not... but to me (and dimension is in the eye of the beerholder of course).. that's what happened.  the relative speed of motion between objects at different distances seems to have subtly changed...

did that actually happen?  I have no idea... i'll keep the changes for now:)

#1 is controlled by DCS -> VR > IPD setting

#2 is controlled by the game engine, no way the graphcis driver can change this

15 minutes ago, winghunter said:

#1 is controlled by DCS -> VR > IPD setting

#2 is controlled by the game engine, no way the graphcis driver can change this

I agree, that's the just change I saw after applying the mod.  whether it was actually the mod, a side affect of applying mod, or something completely unrelated... who knows.   it's just what happened.

Although I think DCS -> VR > IPD is actually "world size" not parallax

Edited by j9murphy