BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

On 4/19/2022 at 7:21 PM, dburne said:

I just can't got over how great the Persian Gulf is looking now flying low in the Apache around the coastal cities. Flying around some of those buildings is just breathtaking. 

The best map for me so far is Mariana runway start for the Apache, just fly along the waypoints and make sure Water is on high setting.  The amount of details is staggering and easily missed unless you're flying low and slow (forget jets).  Animated ocean waves, realistic looking rock formations along the coastline, golf courses and hotels, densely populated buildings that don't look like copy and paste jobs, boats bobbing in the piers, etc.  This is the only map that rivals MSFS, Syria is up there but a step below.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Ok just did a Viper mission that took me from the sea to the mountains in CAUC map,  those mountains have never looked so big and intimidating like they do now..  This sold it for me whatever voodoo these settings did ya certain terrain features certain experiences are certainly enhanced

• Like 2

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

@rcjonessnp175

In your signature is the DK Oculus Rift mentioned as VR headset.
With my Rift-S i don't see anything better then before.
Do you run native Oculus or SteamVR or OpenXR and how is that set up?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

10 hours ago, Supmua said:

The best map for me so far is Mariana runway start for the Apache, just fly along the waypoints and make sure Water is on high setting.  The amount of details is staggering and easily missed unless you're flying low and slow (forget jets).  Animated ocean waves, realistic looking rock formations along the coastline, golf courses and hotels, densely populated buildings that don't look like copy and paste jobs, boats bobbing in the piers, etc.  This is the only map that rivals MSFS, Syria is up there but a step below.

I will definitely check that out thanks, hopefully sometime today between my Apache learning steps.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

@rcjonessnp175

In your signature is the DK Oculus Rift mentioned as VR headset.
With my Rift-S i don't see anything better then before.
Do you run native Oculus or SteamVR or OpenXR and how is that set up?

My signature is probably ancient….  I use a quest 2,  all native oculus,  no mods other than changing the dcs profile from this thread,  I’ve been back and forth on weather it does anything. Last night was first time flying through the mountains in Cauc map since this change and certainly felt like a new experience.  This isn’t something that is way over done 3d effects I think for me it just made things have better geometry or it enhanced it, and those mountains made the viper feel insignificant.  I suspect some of the changes may see or don’t see is dependent upon iPd setting in dcs and peoples iPd,  yes I know iPd in dcs is basically world scale.

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

18 hours ago, Supmua said:

I just did this. Wow what a gorgeous experience, loved it! Thanks for the heads up. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

39 minutes ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

wish i could fly on marianas but that thing crushes fps 2d and vr

Yeah it sure does, normally my fps is in the 50's and 60's, on this map when I flew today it was in the low 40's. But it sure was gorgeous.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Tried again, i really don't see any difference with the settings set or not (directly into the DCS profile).
Played around with shadows and stuff (turned those off to keep FPS high enough in multi-player) but that didn't bring anything either.
Then tried a Caucasus mountain run, same, no joy.
Also updated (not re-installed) to the latest nVidia driver, no joy there either.
Still wondering why it works for some and not for others.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Tried again, i really don't see any difference with the settings set or not (directly into the DCS profile).
Played around with shadows and stuff (turned those off to keep FPS high enough in multi-player) but that didn't bring anything either.
Then tried a Caucasus mountain run, same, no joy.
Also updated (not re-installed) to the latest nVidia driver, no joy there either.
Still wondering why it works for some and not for others.
It quite a mystery and unfortunate that some do not see these changes.

I really wish everyone get to see this refreshing VR experience.
It is so good I do not fly to fight but fly to do sight-seeing. Flew a more than one hour mission last night in the Apache and did not fire a shot. Breathtaking depth on the Syria map terrain especially when you fly over highland and look down at the valley below .

Might want to try again because it did not work for me on my first try. I meticulously followed the instructions on both the document and the video and baam!

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

On 4/12/2022 at 5:46 PM, Supmua said:

Oh I def saw the positive changes in pop outs and depth perception, but I can’t unsee it or make it look the way it was before.

This one is also something that bugs me.
If you set the five settings and see a difference and then reset them back to the previous setting then the effect should be gone.
It just doesn't make sense that it can't be reverted.

Again i gave it another shot after reading through the entire topic page by page and taking note of some other stuff that was mention that "could" have an impact (example: VSync unchecked in the VR tab in the DCS settings). None of these things brought the extra 3D depth effect you guys see and what i'm looking for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

If you set the five settings and see a difference and then reset them back to the previous setting then the effect should be gone.

Again i gave it another shot after reading through the entire topic page by page and taking note of some other stuff that was mention that "could" have an impact (example: VSync unchecked in the VR tab in the DCS settings). None of these things brought the extra 3D depth effect you guys see and what i'm looking for.

Have you tried just creating it's own profile rather than trying to add the settings into an already created profile? If not give this a try, and yeah I know it makes no sense but still give it a shot.

In Nvidia Inspector create a new profile. Name it say 3D VR. Do not yet link DCS to this profile, test it when set up first. Choose to show all features in Nvidia Inspector.  Go in and very carefully change the 5 settings to match what is shown in the OP. Be sure and click save when finished. Again, do not link any game yet to this profile.

Go in and test, get airborne and fly over trees, hills, valleys, and buildings. See if you see a perceptible difference in the 3d effect. Perhaps you already tried this, if so just disregard.

• Like 1

Don B

There's an elevated pipeline runs west of Palmyra on the Syrian map, fly with your wingtip just off to the side of the pipe as close as you can, the sense of speed is frightening.  Very well modeled 3D pipeline, spots where the sand buries it completely, a very scenic run and it runs for miles.  If you want to experience a life like speed perception in a jet while in VR, dare you to look at your wing tip on the pipeline side while racing below the pipe with it about ten foot off your wingtip.  I experienced that dreadful feeling of fear for my life the first few minutes doing the run, than amazement and fun, tuck it in even closer.  Take a steady jet you trust and trims up well, I used the C-101, it has a Palmyra area quick mission.   Complete mind rush, you'll need excellent frames to do it, not so hard its mainly empty desert.      

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

I still have no explanation how or why it happened but it did happen at least to me and some other people.

If you already see good 3D effects then why worry about it. For me I just never experienced good 3D stereoscopic effect in any VR games until recently. 

9 minutes ago, Nodak said:

There's an elevated pipeline runs west of Palmyra on the Syrian map, fly with your wingtip just off to the side of the pipe as close as you can, the sense of speed is frightening.  Very well modeled 3D pipeline, spots where the sand buries it completely, a very scenic run and it runs for miles.  If you want to experience a life like speed perception in a jet while in VR, dare you to look at your wing tip on the pipeline side while racing below the pipe with it about ten foot off your wingtip.  I experienced that dreadful feeling of fear for my life the first few minutes doing the run, than amazement and fun, tuck it in even closer.  Take a steady jet you trust and trims up well, I used the C-101, it has a Palmyra area quick mission.   Complete mind rush, you'll need excellent frames to do it, not so hard its mainly empty desert.      

I’ll give it a shot, but it’s tough to experience real speed in VR when your headset is 90 Hz but your actual framerate is half of that. Sensation of speed is one area where 2D is still better. 

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

59 minutes ago, dburne said:

Have you tried just creating it's own profile rather than trying to add the settings into an already created profile? If not give this a try, and yeah I know it makes no sense but still give it a shot.

In Nvidia Inspector create a new profile. Name it say 3D VR. Do not yet link DCS to this profile, test it when set up first. Choose to show all features in Nvidia Inspector.  Go in and very carefully change the 5 settings to match what is shown in the OP. Be sure and click save when finished. Again, do not link any game yet to this profile.

Go in and test, get airborne and fly over trees, hills, valleys, and buildings. See if you see a perceptible difference in the 3d effect. Perhaps you already tried this, if so just disregard.

Just created it's own profile, didn't do that before because inspector only allows one exe tide to one single profile, not multiple.
- So unhooked DCS.exe from it's own profile (the Black Shark one).
- Created a new profile with global settings and ran DCS, vanilla so to speak (Persian Gulf coastline/building flight).
- "Carefully" changed the 5 settings and tried again, no difference in depth between this and vanilla.
- Added dcs.exe to the new profile and ran DCS again, no difference...

26 minutes ago, Supmua said:

I still have no explanation how or why it happened but it did happen at least to me and some other people.

If you already see good 3D effects then why worry about it. For me I just never experienced good 3D stereoscopic effect in any VR games until recently. 

Yeah same here, I thought I was experiencing really good 3d effects until I tried this.

4 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Just created it's own profile, didn't do that before because inspector only allows one exe tide to one single profile, not multiple.
- So unhooked DCS.exe from it's own profile (the Black Shark one).
- Created a new profile with global settings and ran DCS, vanilla so to speak (Persian Gulf coastline/building flight).
- "Carefully" changed the 5 settings and tried again, no difference in depth between this and vanilla.
- Added dcs.exe to the new profile and ran DCS again, no difference...

I have no explanation. Thanks for trying though! On the bright side, either you are already getting the enhanced 3d affect this is giving us, or you are not and have never seen it so won't know what your missing. I suspect the former may be the case.

Edited by dburne

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

On the bright side, either you are already getting the enhanced 3d affect this is giving us, or you are not and have never seen it so won't know what your missing. I suspect the former may be the case.

True on not knowing what i'm missing but I suspect the latter is the case, why would i have enhanced 3D effects when most people don't and on an older system?
Still wanting to know if people with a Rift-S (running native Oculus) see the effects or not.

15 hours ago, Supmua said:

If you already see good 3D effects then why worry about it.

That's the thing, how does one compare if there is no difference to be seen?
I find the 3D effects not bad at all but Don also thought he had very good 3D effects until this trick enhanced his experience.

Tried one last thing, DDU'ed the drivers, re-installed the latest from scratch and ran the above test, first without and then with the changes, no joy...

@Supmua @dburne Sorry guys, coming late to this thread and getting a bit lost given how long it has become ☺️.   In order to try this out, is it a matter to just go in the nvidia profile explorer and select the one call VRdirectX?  Will this apply these settings to any program I run? Or does it need to be 'linked' to a particular .exe (like DCS.exe) ?

Thks

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

7 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

@Supmua @dburne Sorry guys, coming late to this thread and getting a bit lost given how long it has become ☺️.   In order to try this out, is it a matter to just go in the nvidia profile explorer and select the one call VRdirectX?  Will this apply these settings to any program I run? Or does it need to be 'linked' to a particular .exe (like DCS.exe) ?

Thks

you can do either

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

This is something i don't understand, if there is specific profile, doesn't that get the upperhand over a global one when the exe is run?
Also, if VRDirectX is global when applied, what with the specific settings of other global or specific profiles when those are executed?
If this is the way it works, why have specific profiles at all?

Edited by Lange_666

3 hours ago, Brainfreeze said:

Thks

I would edit _Global profile directly so it applies to everything.  If you don't like it or it doesn't work just restore back to NVIDIA default.

For other parameters that I use (can be set directly in NV control panel also):

Texture filtering Quality: found in Section 4 Texture

Power management: found in Section 5 Common

Shader cache max size: in Section Other

VR prerendered frames: in Section Other

Edited by Supmua

Tested modifying the five parameters in global profile. HP Reverb G2 with SteamVR (I do not like OpenXR, no performance increase and more blurry) and Fholger vrperfkit (CAS), can't live without sharper image now.

For me, the change is almost imperceptible in land, perhaps a little more deph or contrast in F18 cockpit, or in AH-64D, from cockpit seat, the front "George" seat seems to me deeper, but I don't know if is placebo effect.

But yes, in the air, in zones with forests and mountains, the effect is fully noticeable. Fly AH-64D Caucasus last mission (don't remember the name). After takeoff, you have to go to a water dam, shoot down one air defense and another vehicle, and fly across the valley... oh my god, the new effect shine here, look at mountains with forests at both sides, look the deph of the valley in front of you.

A few months ago I try to fly DCS without mods... but with thinks like fholger vrperfkit, new CGTG Caucasus ground textures and this same, is impossible. For me, these three are a VR game changer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gonvise said:

Tested modifying the five parameters in global profile. HP Reverb G2 with SteamVR (I do not like OpenXR, no performance increase and more blurry) and Fholger vrperfkit (CAS), can't live without sharper image now.

For me, the change is almost imperceptible in land, perhaps a little more deph or contrast in F18 cockpit, or in AH-64D, from cockpit seat, the front "George" seat seems to me deeper, but I don't know if is placebo effect.

But yes, in the air, in zones with forests and mountains, the effect is fully noticeable. Fly AH-64D Caucasus last mission (don't remember the name). After takeoff, you have to go to a water dam, shoot down one air defense and another vehicle, and fly across the valley... oh my god, the new effect shine here, look at mountains with forests at both sides, look the deph of the valley in front of you.

A few months ago I try to fly DCS without mods... but with thinks like fholger vrperfkit, new CGTG Caucasus ground textures and this same, is impossible. For me, these three are a VR game changer.

:thumbup:

Always nice to see others that benefit from this reporting their experience here. 

• Like 1

Don B

and fly across the valley... oh my god, the new effect shine here, look at mountains with forests at both sides, look the deph of the valley in front of you.
/quote]

You really saw what we are talking about.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset