BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Hmm you don't have to re-enter the settings for them to apply? If not I will try that with the next gpu driver update.

With the latest NVIDIA update I ran DCS right after, so so 3D effect. Ran NVI and made one arbitrary change (stereo profile on) which probably not even needed, and click Apply changes. Ran DCS again, and got improved 3D visuals and clarity like before the update. 

So I think each NVIDIA update somehow gives us suboptimal images in VR as it always resets your profile, and this is fixed by just using NVI and save over the default profile. 
Check and see if this is the case with you when the next update comes. 

• Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

On 4/12/2022 at 6:16 AM, fearlessfrog said:

Hey don't shoot the messenger here folks 🙂 but I'm fairly sure none of these nvidia profile settings have any impact on VR with DCS or any app. What's probably happening is that applying a profile change in inspector is then going back to all profile all defaults, and for some that's improving the experience. So I'm not discounting it might be better or different for people, just that these values do anything VR related at all and the 'reset' profile is what's happening.

Even the profile that people are having success with of 'VRdirectx' is a bit of a misunderstanding. 'VRdirectx' the exe appname of a title called 'V-Rally: Edition 99' from 1998 and for the Nvidia 3D Vision specs (the polarized lens ones, that introduced a pseudo 3D effect using depth buffers in old 2D games during that 3D TV fashion time we had). https://www.mobygames.com/game/v-rally-edition-99. So the 'V R' here is meaning 'V-Rally', so dust off your 3DFX Voodoo cards!

I checked with Microsoft's mbucchia (one of the authors of OXR Toolkit a lot of us use with DCS) and his thoughts were:

Anyway, just wanted to pass that on if people get annoyed they don't see a difference with this.

It could be true, maybe some of users had "Stereo=No" in his settings (dont know why, I have "Yes" on default from the beginning), so here is the reason of better 3D effect? I did tests and dont see any the other results, I have good feeling of 3D as it was before on my HP Reverb G2. What is strange (in the first movie) I didnt notice that dcs.exe is connected to the 3DVR profile so Inspector (who I have had experience with for years) doesn't know its supposed to work with DCS, interesting ;). It does not work like that, sorry. Maybe for some its a better effect, but I guess it's either a matter of having something off or maybe a placebo. 🙂

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

In E:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics.lua on bottom I just find intresting, probably related adnotation:

--in stereo and hmd mode you can try to use single parser for both eyes , by default is false , comment to enable it or set to true
stereo_mode_use_shared_parser = false

+ instruction in graphics_redme.txt:

Hi!

Old graphics.cfg is gone and replaced with graphics.lua.
However, please, do not edit this file directly.
Otherwise you'll lose your changes after each update.

New method for overriding options is to create (or edit) a file

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\autoexec.cfg

or 

C:\Users\<YOUR-LOGIN>\Saved Games\edModelViewer\Config\autoexec.cfg

(for model viewer)

and place your changes there.
Note:
 - autoexec.cfg settings will override the options set via GUI.
 - Graphic options in autoexec.cfg should be prefixed with options.graphics.
 - file encoding should be UTF-8 without BOM

Example autoexec.cfg:

options.graphics.maxfps = 30
options.graphics.render3D = false
options.graphics.ScreenshotQuality = 75
-- add custom texture path
-- note the slashes!
table.insert(options.graphics.VFSTexturePaths, "c:/Users/<LOGIN>/Saved Games/DCS/MyTextures")

Happy gaming!

Time for more testing, specialy that tomorrow my HP Reverb G2 will arive 😉

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

8 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

In E:\Program Files (x86)\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\graphics.lua on bottom I just find intresting, probably related adnotation:

+ instruction in graphics_redme.txt:

Time for more testing, specialy that tomorrow my HP Reverb G2 will arive 😉

what will it do? Stereo is more demanding so in general, enabling this will result in a lower frames rate than single pass in VR.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to thank @pastranario3 very much.   I just tried the "easy" method, and WOW.  This notched-up the immersion/realism factor noticeably.  I never noticed that the gauges have bezels with thickness on them, or that little hook in dangling, or the sun shades.  I literally did not realize those sun shades were there until the 3D effect went full on, then they were the first thing I noticed.  Feels like I can reach out, if I had long arms, and pat George on the head.  How bizarrely wonderful, thanks for this tweak.

• Like 3

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro

On 5/27/2022 at 12:20 AM, Fuggzy said:

Just want to thank @pastranario3 very much.   I just tried the "easy" method, and WOW.  This notched-up the immersion/realism factor noticeably.  I never noticed that the gauges have bezels with thickness on them, or that little hook in dangling, or the sun shades.  I literally did not realize those sun shades were there until the 3D effect went full on, then they were the first thing I noticed.  Feels like I can reach out, if I had long arms, and pat George on the head.  How bizarrely wonderful, thanks for this tweak.

Which headset?

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

its seems to vary from person to person/system to system some say it does some say it doesn't

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, obious said:

Without reading 15 pages, is there a consensus on ‘fixing’/improving the 3D stereo image? Ie does the change describe at the beginning of this thread do anything?

Thanks  

Has been working great for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, obious said:

Got it, and when you say ‘it’s working’, what do you mean? Is the 3D effect ‘more’ apparent? 

Lot of info on that throughout this thread really if you want to dig in to that. But yes better 3d effect especially on terrain and buildings.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, obious said:

Without reading 15 pages, is there a consensus on ‘fixing’/improving the 3D stereo image? Ie does the change describe at the beginning of this thread do anything?

Thanks  

For me not. I have good 3D effect and had it before, looks the same.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

6 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Same here... No visible effect

I think here we have two groups, the first see placebo effect ;), the second maybe hasn't (dont know why) marked "STEREO = on" in his NVidia settings as default option. Perhaps here is a reason why some people see the better 3D effect. Hard to tell me honestly, even if in video tutorial the profile isnt connected with DCS.exe what is obligatory for NVidia Inspector but if for someone it works - great! 🙂

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

LOL.

Don B

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

I think here we have two groups, the first see placebo effect ;), the second maybe hasn't (dont know why) marked "STEREO = on" in his NVidia settings as default option. Perhaps here is a reason why some people see the better 3D effect. Hard to tell me honestly, even if in video tutorial the profile isnt connected with DCS.exe what is obligatory for NVidia Inspector but if for someone it works - great! 🙂

Btw out of curiosity where do you see this "Stereo=on" in the standard Nvidia settings? I can assure you mine is no placebo but feel free to believe what you want.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Btw out of curiosity where do you see this "Stereo=on" in the standard Nvidia settings? I can assure you mine is no placebo but feel free to believe what you want.

Here:

k5H4NxU.jpg

For DCS I have Yes (so "on") from the beginning as default option (btw. on tutorial, author of this topic has No=off) and it works ok for HP Reverb. Didnt notice any issue. I think, some of users has here No from some of reason (headset, driver etc.)

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

1 hour ago, YoYo said:

Here:

k5H4NxU.jpg

For DCS I have Yes (so "on") from the beginning as default option (btw. on tutorial, author of this topic has No=off) and it works ok for HP Reverb. Didnt notice any issue. I think, some of users has here No from some of reason (headset, driver etc.)

Oh so that too is in Nvidia Inspector not the standard Nvidia Control Panel which I assumed you were talking about. I imagine most folks don't even use Nvidia Inspector unless they got it to try these settings out.

Mine too is set to Yes which is one of the settings (along with four others) the instructions for this 3d affect gives. He actually lists that as one of the changes to make. Mine was at default of No till I changed it along with the other settings. The default setting for StereoProfile is No. The items in bold below from Nvidia Inspector are the 5 changes I made per the author's explicit instructions.

The only downside to this is after each Nvidia driver update one has to go back in and enter these values again as they go back to default. For me it is worth it though.

3D VR NPI Tweaks.jpg

Edited by dburne

Don B

Maybe its a kind of rendering of VR picture, remember that Reverb works in Windows Mixed Reality, more good results has users non WMR I suppose here. Maybe this too? Thx.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

4 hours ago, YoYo said:

Maybe its a kind of rendering of VR picture, remember that Reverb works in Windows Mixed Reality, more good results has users non WMR I suppose here. Maybe this too? Thx.

As before I god Samsung Odyssey+ (WMR), now I have Reverb G2, and I had some time so I made couple screens using OXR Tools.  Recenter view, and only change settings above between screenshots. Ive been looking for more than 30mins and there are much diference. If u have Fovated Rendering turn on you probably will not see much diference, cause most diference is not on center of the view but on the edges. But even on center there are some strange diferences on closeup. Screens present same eye, settings, OXR Tools setting etc.:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now gets even more strange, than missing pixels, windows in far buildings. The runway stripes are different! WTF...

null

nullimage.png

Right now cant tell what settings is betters. But there are realy strange things happens... 

EDIT: One more screen with both eyes. TOP VRDirect, bottom Default:
nullimage.png

Edited by TylerPL666
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

6 hours ago, TylerPL666 said:

As before I god Samsung Odyssey+ (WMR), now I have Reverb G2, and I had some time so I made couple screens using OXR Tools.  Recenter view, and only change settings above between screenshots. Ive been looking for more than 30mins and there are much diference. If u have Fovated Rendering turn on you probably will not see much diference, cause most diference is not on center of the view but on the edges. But even on center there are some strange diferences on closeup. Screens present same eye, settings, OXR Tools setting etc.:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Now gets even more strange, than missing pixels, windows in far buildings. The runway stripes are different! WTF...

null

nullimage.png

Right now cant tell what settings is betters. But there are realy strange things happens... 

EDIT: One more screen with both eyes. TOP VRDirect, bottom Default:
nullimage.png

Interesting findings.  The output images are not the same for sure.  Are you running at 100% res or higher or lower, any chance of perspective shift?  Not sure that this would affect depth perception though, but who knows.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Well, i don't know what you guys are seeing differently but for me, beside the fact that the camera standpoint is not exactly the same, the quality of the images is the same. If not, maybe point it out with colored arrows where the difference is because i don't really see it.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

4 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

Well, i don't know what you guys are seeing differently but for me, beside the fact that the camera standpoint is not exactly the same, the quality of the images is the same. If not, maybe point it out with colored arrows where the difference is because i don't really see it.

Me neither.

Read through some of the thread early on and you will see stated what we are seeing with this. I believe it has been stated multiple times already. No sense rehashing all of it again. And I don't much care to continue posting it over and over.

Edited by dburne

Don B