BETTER 3d in VR (greater depth) !!!

pastranario3

I was referring to the images above my previous post Don, not what you see and i don't with the 5 settings.
Since the images above are the same for everyone (because of not viewed in VR) i wonder what the real difference was which i don't seem to see on those.
If you can see something different beside the camera standpoint being different and a pixelshift here and there, i'm just curious on what that is.

Edited by Lange_666

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

14 minutes ago, Lange_666 said:

I was referring to the images above my previous post Don, not what you see and i don't with the 5 settings.
Since the images above are the same for everyone (because of not viewed in VR) i wonder what the real difference was which i don't seem to see on those.
If you can see something different beside the camera standpoint being different and a pixelshift here and there, i'm just curious on what that is.

More defined depth to most things particular hills/valleys buildings and trees. I do not see a different camera standpoint nor pixel shift here and there, which I have described this to best of my ability several times I think in the thread. As some others have as well. There is no way this can be portrayed on a 2d screen.

If you have tried it and notice nothing don't sweat it. Can't miss what you have not seen. Or maybe you are already getting it for some reason which would explain why you notice no difference. 

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3D perception is a pretty complex process and quite hard to describe in wordings.  There are pop-out effects where things appear flying out of the screen, depth effects where you see very deep into the screen, as well as mixed effects of the two.  These effects are governed by parallax factor which is the relative distance between the two eyes or cameras (where zero parallax point is zero 3D) and convergence factor which is the angle between the two cameras.  So any changes to the parallax or convergence settings will affect 3D perception, but since we’re not built the same the perception will also vary among individuals.  

For some reason, making changes in NVIDIA profile with NVI appears to have improved 3D perception for a lot of people, myself included.  Whether it’s due to having corrupted initial profile or other new processes that alter those mentioned parameters remain controversial, but I just want to be clear that the improvement to my eyes is not placebo because I now have both pop-out as well as depth effects that weren’t quite there before.  

The said effects can also be enhanced further and easily seen by playing around with WMR crosseye correction tool, simply by manually changing the L R eye separation (parallax) at the expense of increased eye strain.  And if you do not see those pop-out or depth effects then I would even say that you’re not getting the most out of VR experience.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

8 hours ago, dburne said:

More defined depth to most things particular hills/valleys buildings and trees. I do not see a different camera standpoint nor pixel shift here and there, which I have d

Don, we're talking about 2 different things here.

I'm still talking about the images TylerPL666 posted above (i responded directly underneed it), you still talk about the 3D effect visible in VR.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Don, we're talking about 2 different things here.

I'm still talking about the images TylerPL666 posted above (i responded directly underneed it), you still talk about the 3D effect visible in VR.

Ok thanks, sorry I did not catch that. Carry on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

One way to test if you're already getting good 3D effect in VR is to try Reshade SuperDepth3D_VR with your headset using a non-VR game such as Cyberpunk 2077, then compare what you see with DCS VR.  Those are the 3D effects that should be seen in DCS VR (namely pop-out and depth, although not to the same degree since 3D effect in DCS is not very adjustable).  If you don't know how to do this, I've made a simple guide in the Aero Guide thread which should apply to other headsets as well.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

7 hours ago, Supmua said:

One way to test if you're already getting good 3D effect in VR is to try Reshade SuperDepth3D_VR with your headset using a non-VR game such as Cyberpunk 2077, then compare what you see with DCS VR.  Those are the 3D effects that should be seen in DCS VR (namely pop-out and depth, although not to the same degree since 3D effect in DCS is not very adjustable).  If you don't know how to do this, I've made a simple guide in the Aero Guide thread which should apply to other headsets as well.

I use Reshade in VR (for Steam VR). Is it any new appendix?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

I use Reshade in VR (for Steam VR). Is it any new appendix?

It’s nothing new, the same as watching 3D movies on your headset but 3D effect parameters can be changed on the fly.  Use Reshade to convert 2D game to display in 3D SBS format, then use a VR app to make your VR headset acts like a 3DTV.  This is done via Reshade nonVR API instead of VR API.

Edited by Supmua

• 3 months later...

There’s no clear concensus.  I suspect this may be related to either driver issue or chromostereopsis.  If it is the latter then not everybody will see the effect.  First check out some chromostereopsis pictures (Wikipedia etc.) while wearing your VR headset and see if you can experience varying 3D depths.  If you can’t see varying depths then I wouldn’t bother.

Testing now, will update.

-edit

So, it feels like my "eyes" are farther apart now, but as far as "enhancing" the 3d effect, it doesn't. I do feel slightly "cross-eyed" and it seems to be increasing faint feelings of disorientation and motion sickness, though that could also just be the fact I have barely eaten lately and I haven't messed with VR in months 😄

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

23 hours ago, Mars Exulte said:

Testing now, will update.

-edit

So, it feels like my "eyes" are farther apart now, but as far as "enhancing" the 3d effect, it doesn't. I do feel slightly "cross-eyed" and it seems to be increasing faint feelings of disorientation and motion sickness, though that could also just be the fact I have barely eaten lately and I haven't messed with VR in months 😄

Chromostereopsis - 3 Layers of depths "Rivers, Valleys & Mountains" - Chromostereopsis - Wikipedia

When I view this (link) on my Aero, there are varying depths that I can see.  Blue being the most recessed and red appears popped out, while green is somewhat in-between.  And this is a partial explanation as to why not everybody will have the exact same experience when it comes to depth perception.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Supmua said:

Chromostereopsis - 3 Layers of depths "Rivers, Valleys & Mountains" - Chromostereopsis - Wikipedia

When I view this (link) on my Aero, there are varying depths that I can see.  Blue being the most recessed and red appears popped out, while green is somewhat in-between.  And this is a partial explanation as to why not everybody will have the exact same experience when it comes to depth perception.

I have issue perceiving/separating certain shades of red and green, as well as slight astigmatism, so that is likely a contributing factor, based on this. Eyes are complicated, yo. Thanks for the read.

On 9/9/2022 at 10:21 PM, Supmua said:

Agreed, and never noticed this phenomenon in my G2, just the Aero. Perhaps it was just masked in the G2?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

All i know is I used the default global setting and I immediately noticed a difference in depth when it comes to sizing of the objects, tress, mountains. Flying at higher altitude you can absolutely tell the difference in scale. Whatever it does, I don't care. It just looks way better lol. 

Does anyone know of the other settings in inspector that can have any positive changes?

If someone posted a list of each option and their description that would be fantastic, as I couldn't find any details on the specifics of each. 

If this is too much work, I understand, but it would definitely be a big help in the long run for people who will create profiles and share them. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:03 AM, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

If someone posted a list of each option and their description that would be fantastic, as I couldn't find any details on the specifics of each. 

Yeah, that's one of my gripes about the "tutorial" written here. "Hey, change this list of settings, don't worry about what they do you won't possibly need to adjust any of it!" @@ 95% of Youtube tutorials are garbage.

On 9/13/2022 at 8:26 PM, Mars Exulte said:

Yeah, that's one of my gripes about the "tutorial" written here. "Hey, change this list of settings, don't worry about what they do you won't possibly need to adjust any of it!" @@ 95% of Youtube tutorials are garbage.

To be fair, and I do agree with most of what you said as it is almost always true. The person who originally posted it (he posted it in multiple forums) was explaining all of them in detail. I just didn't want to DM him and try and give him some sort of unpaid tasks that most people probably wouldn't ever see. lol.

Here is the link to the wiki page (that section is looking for detailed input) There are quite a few options that should be changed and I have no idea why Nvidia has them enabled. As an example. Force P2 State... 

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nvidia_Profile_Inspector

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

"vrdirectx" is not in the list for me in NvidiaProfileInspector. Is there somewhere I can download it and add?

Need to select "show unknown settings from Nvidia predefined profiles" from Nvidea Inspector menu bar.

Then load up your DCS profile and work with the changes in there for those 5 settings. And finally keep in mind ymmv compared to others.

Edited by dburne

Don B

So for me....not a BIG difference. But there is definety "something".

When i fly WITH the mod, i get slightly motion sick (not really sick) as when i first startet out with VR years ago.
When i fly WITHOUT the mod, i don´t get this slight fuzzyness.

So in my opinion, when people say its placebo....it´s not. For me not a huge difference, but as many of you
allready said, there is "something" but its hard to describe 😉

btw: just used the simple method from OP - not more! Varjo Aero user!

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

16 minutes ago, schurem said:

I really wish the OP would write down what he did and why, instead of a youtube upload of some unexplained mouseclicking.

On 4/24/2022 at 9:06 AM, speed-of-heat said:

I believe the required changes are:

RHWLessAtScreen -> 0x3C144AA5 

StereoConvergence -> 0x3AC49BA5 

StereoCuttoff -> 0x00000000

StereoProfile -> Yes

StereoTextureEnable -> 0x00000000

is that correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:34 PM, speed-of-heat said:

Thank Christ, those videos were not easy to follow for an old bastard like me, and I did not want to take the chance of fucking something up! 

• Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.