Laser set to Latch on by default?

Dropped a GBU in CCRP mode. I noticed Latch was set to on when setting up plane, so exited the screen without making changes.  When dropped bomb, I toggled laser, Left "L" was flashing with a solid L to the right. Bomb missed. All other bombs hit target when holding down laser. Any one else experience this? Is Latch working?

Side question. When I have HUD as SOI, and go to guns, I can cycle between reticle. But I only get static cross, or the circle with 3ish dots in it (never know what those dots mean? Are they like sniper rifles, where they denote distance you should use for each one?)  Anyone know what you have to do to change the circle reticle to no be high on the HUD, I thought there where two different positions you can set it?

Edited by directorguy7

18 minutes ago, directorguy7 said:

Bomb missed. All other bombs hit target when holding down laser. Any one else experience this? Is Latch working?

Yes, Latch is working.

However, you have to enable Autolase and the Time you want to fire the Laser in the GBU Profile; it´s off by default.

• Like 1

52d_Sig_Pic3.png

The dots: you probably use combat mix munition for the gun. It‘s a mix of high explosive rounds and armour piercing, and once in a while there is a tracer or normal round I believe, it‘s been a while since I‘ve learned the A10 😄 anyway, every dot is one of them. The steeper you dive as well as the closer you get the closer the dots are. Usually you aim with the middle one. If you use HEI it‘s one dot I believe.  

for the GBUs, if you want autolase as mentioned above you need to set a weapon profile. On the DSMS page go to the GBU12 profile and set autolase on, then set the lase time to 15ish seconds. It means that for the last 15 seconds before impact the laser will fire.

latch means you have to turn the laser on and off with the pinky button/nose wheel steering button. I recon that you did it, it works well here. Could it be that you accidentally forgot the set your TGP to SPI? The lases where the TGP looks but CCRP drops the bomb where the SPI is. It could be that the bomb wasn‘t able to hit the target.

Edited by Ephedrin

12 hours ago, directorguy7 said:

Dropped a GBU in CCRP mode. I noticed Latch was set to on when setting up plane, so exited the screen without making changes.  When dropped bomb, I toggled laser, Left "L" was flashing with a solid L to the right. Bomb missed. All other bombs hit target when holding down laser. Any one else experience this? Is Latch working?

Like the others said, Latch should be okay, haven't heard of any problems with it. As long as the "L" is flashing in the TGP and on the HUD, the laser is firing.

Can you re-create the problem and upload a track? Fly a short mission that demonstrates the problem, quit, hit "Save Track" and upload that track here or share a link via Dropbox, Google Drive or so.

Anyone know what you have to do to change the circle reticle to no be high on the HUD, I thought there where two different positions you can set it?

There are 4 reticles. CCIP Gun Reticle, CCIP Gun Cross, 4/8/12 Gun Reticle and 4000-Foot Wind Corrected Gun Cross.

The first two use CCIP to give you a fairly precise estimation of where your rounds are going to impact the ground if you pull the trigger right in that moment. They just use slightly different symbology.

Like Ephedrin already hinted, with Combat Mix loaded, the CCIP Gun Reticle has two dots aka pippers, the center one for AP and the lower one for HEI. Adjust your aim accordingly, depending on the target.

The 4/8/12 Gun Reticle has 3 dots aka pippers, regardless of ammo type, accounting for 4000 feet slant range, 8000 feet slant range and 12000 feet slant range, respectively. If CCIP fails for whatever reason, you can use this Gun Reticle and estimate the slant range to still get good rounds on target.

And the 4000-Foot Gun Cross does the same, but is fixed to 4000 feet slant range.

You can cycle through these options with HUD as SOI, Guns Master Mode selected, and DMS Right Short/DMS Left Short. That's almost all there is to it. 😉

Anyone know what you have to do to change the circle reticle to no be high on the HUD, I thought there where two different positions you can set it?

If the reticles appear too high on the HUD, you could try to lower your seat height before the next attack. I'm not aware of other ways to get these reticles to change their position (other than maneuvering the aircraft, that is 😉).

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:13 PM, directorguy7 said:

Side question. When I have HUD as SOI, and go to guns, I can cycle between reticle. But I only get static cross, or the circle with 3ish dots in it (never know what those dots mean? Are they like sniper rifles, where they denote distance you should use for each one?)  Anyone know what you have to do to change the circle reticle to no be high on the HUD, I thought there where two different positions you can set it?

If you only get two gun reticles (the static cross and 4/8/12 reticles), I think that's an indication that something about your startup was incorrect.  I can't recall the specifics, but I think if you don't correctly align the EGI or forget to turn on the EAC, you don't get the normal gun CCIP reticle and CCIP cross, just the two fixed reticles (or if some important stuff gets damaged).  Anyone remember the specifics?

On 4/9/2022 at 12:13 AM, directorguy7 said:

When I have HUD as SOI, and go to guns, I can cycle between reticle. But I only get static cross, or the circle with 3ish dots in it (never know what those dots mean? Are they like sniper rifles, where they denote distance you should use for each one?)  Anyone know what you have to do to change the circle reticle to no be high on the HUD, I thought there where two different positions you can set it?

My guess would be you are getting all of them, but not realizing it. If you are flying straight and level you will only see the two static ones because the CCIP gun reticle and cross will be below the bottom of the HUD field of view.

You can't move the reticles around the HUD, doing so would invalidate the information they are providing you as a gun reticle. You can change the mil depression of the HARS pipper or standby pipper, but that's different. The CCIP gun cross and reticle will move around in your HUD based on the triginometry the IFFCC is doing to calculate an impact point.