Gun auto range

Speedrick
Go to solution Solved by admiki,

Hi shooters,

Following issue came up the other night; when I selected the ‘A’ to select the auto range, nothing happend, and the range remained in the manual selection. Adapting the manual range to any distance is not a problem. 

I’m sure I’m overlooking something but can’t figure out what…. Can somebody assist pls?

cheers,

E

Range display on the WPN page always shows your last commanded MAN RNG. This is because this is what the gun will default back to if you deselect and subsequently reselect it. 

To check that you are in auto you need to look at the range display on the left of the field of regard box on your IHADSS. If it reads “Ax.x” then you’re in auto. 

Edited by frostycab

The weapons page, as noted by Frostycab, isn't going to say auto when you set it.  The way you see if you are in manual or auto is to look at the bottom left of your TADS / IHADSS.  A manual range config will show the full range number, like 2543.  But if you are in autorange it will show an estimate with an A such as A2.5.

Edited by Grizzley78

Post a track so we can see what's going on and maybe get it figured out.  Also, are you setting it to auto and then using the laser?  Hitting the laser will get an accurate range to target and disable autorange.  Autorange is a calculation based on your radar altitude and angle of the TADS, it doesn't use the laser for ranging.  So using it will pop you out of autorange and back to whatever was set as manual before.

Edited by Grizzley78

22 hours ago, Speedrick said:

Damned, whatever I try, I never get the A in front of the range, only an ‘M’ or nothing except the range….

I'm in the exact same position whenever I do a Cold Start mission.

Works OK, i.e. 'A' shows in TADS/IHADSS, when I load a mission where Apache is already started.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

OK, thanks. I appreciate your time.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

32 minutes ago, admiki said:

There is at least a dozen threads about this same issue, but once again: if in cold helicopter, go to AC-FLT-SET- and turn RAD ALT on

Ok, will see tomorrow if the rad alt is on…. AC FLT SET you mentioned? Where is that😳

grts,

Eric

Yep, that works!

10 hours ago, Speedrick said:

Ok, will see tomorrow if the rad alt is on…. AC FLT SET you mentioned? Where is that😳

grts,

Eric

AC hardbutton at right bottom of the MFDs, then press FLT, then press SET, then turn RDR ALT to ON.

Edited by Razor18

1 hour ago, Razor18 said:

AC hardbutton at right bottom of the MFDs, then press FLT, then press SET, then turn RDR ALT to ON.

That's what I was struggling with, too. Hopefully the start-up tutorial will get improved with further development progress, so that those steps will get included as well or shown in additional tutorials. 

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker

50 minutes ago, schmiefel said:

That's what I was struggling with, too. Hopefully the start-up tutorial will get improved with further development progress, so that those steps will get included as well or shown in additional tutorials. 

Yeah, RAD ALT was new, but IMO bigger problem is that people are trying to control systems intensive helicopter without even bothering to go through the manual we already have (as lacking as it might be)

19 minutes ago, admiki said:

Yeah, RAD ALT was new, but IMO bigger problem is that people are trying to control systems intensive helicopter without even bothering to go through the manual we already have (as lacking as it might be)

Well, the thing is, that people learn new modules in different ways.  Not everyone tries to consume a 400 page manual at the start of their journey.  Some use training missions or YT vids to get started, then refer to the manual for specific advice, and gradually build up their knowledge base with further use of the manual, etc.

Now, AFAIR, there is no mention of the RAD ALT to be switched on in either the Start Up TM, or in the manual's Cold Start Procedure, although I might be wrong on that - not any YT Start Up videos I've watched, so it's understandable that this question has come up.

• Like 1

• ED Team

The entire Cold Start is still WIP. Things like the Doppler and Radar Altimeter are supposed to be switched on automatically on APU power up. This is why they are not mentioned in the manual's start-up checklist.

Also, the manual itself is also WIP, and will probably be updated over time along with the module. This process is not new, the F16 and F18 was the same.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

1 hour ago, imacken said:

Well, the thing is, that people learn new modules in different ways.  Not everyone tries to consume a 400 page manual at the start of their journey.  Some use training missions or YT vids to get started, then refer to the manual for specific advice, and gradually build up their knowledge base with further use of the manual, etc.

Now, AFAIR, there is no mention of the RAD ALT to be switched on in either the Start Up TM, or in the manual's Cold Start Procedure, although I might be wrong on that - not any YT Start Up videos I've watched, so it's understandable that this question has come up.

Agree, but asking where is AC? I mean, you have to have at least basic understandings of what you are trying to do

Edited by admiki

Fair enough, that is stretching it!