Ka-50 future?

tn_prvteye

So, what's the current status of the Ka-50? (the real one, not the sim) :)

Does the Russian Military have any plans to request more airframes, or are the few examples flying going to be it?

Just curious...been flying the hell out of it in Black Shark and was wondering what the Real-World examples are doing nowadays.

Ka-50 doesn't meet nowadays russian army requirements. However it's successor Ka-52 has been aproved to go in limited serial production. The Ka-50 airframes that have been already partialy built in the '90s will be converted to the two seater version which has only different nose section.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

The russian army still has 10-12 Ka-50's in service and they haven't said that they give up on them. It just doesn't fit into the new war doctrine. Keep in mind that Ka-50 is designed in late '80s with the intention to fight with NATO armoured forces in flat Europe where the Shkval suits perfectly.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

True, but it's still a marvelous piece of machinery. The fact that it's a single-seater always impressed me. Not very practical, but at least it's unique!

Hell, I can't even think of another single-seat helicopter at all...military OR civilian...except for those home-built jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

As I remember correctly nowadays there's slightly above dozen of Ka-50's manufactured so far.

Let's count. Prototypes and pre-production models: board no. '10', to '14' - flying prototypes, '15' and '16' served as an models for static tests, '17' and '18' were pre-production helicopters.

First production series were board numbers from '20' to '25'. On MAKS 2007 an newly finished '26' (painted in black) was seen in flight.

In "Rosvertol" helicopter manufacture there's still about a dozen or less unfinished Ka-50's airframes and Russians are currently planning to finish their build. And that will be the end of Ka-50 production I guess.

Edited by John Cool

МАССАНДРА: "Микоян Артём Славный Сын Армянского Народа Дарит Радость Авиаторам".