air ground gun + wind

In a recent test for the air to ground gun with wind, the reticle does not calculate the wind, it is the pilot who must compensate for the drift, is this correct?

I feel like the Hornet's ground attack modes have become imprecise.

1 hour ago, 28270 said:

In a recent test for the air to ground gun with wind, the reticle does not calculate the wind, it is the pilot who must compensate for the drift, is this correct?

I feel like the Hornet's ground attack modes have become imprecise.

I could be wrong but it's been this way since the OB release. For 10 or 20 knot crosswind, it doesn't take much correction into the wind at 'in range'. I always check how much VV differs in 'windage' from the reticle and take about half of that. With the dispersion we have, some rounds are gonna hit for sure :gun_sniper:

• Like 2

The DCS: F18 doesn't seem to be calculating the wind. The HSI A/C page always shows wind at 0, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are no wind calculations done at all.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

56 minutes ago, MARLAN_ said:

The DCS: F18 doesn't seem to be calculating the wind. The HSI A/C page always shows wind at 0, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are no wind calculations done at all.

Yea, it's strange though that for dumb bombs in auto, the ASL corrects for crosswinds. It's not exactly done the way it's supposed to be done, according to some folks here, but it sort of works, with moderate winds.

17 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

Yea, it's strange though that for dumb bombs in auto, the ASL corrects for crosswinds. It's not exactly done the way it's supposed to be done, according to some folks here, but it sort of works, with moderate winds.

It only seems to do it somewhat accurately with slicks (most likely because the low TOF means less correction needed). With high drags, you seem to end up chasing the ASL at the last moment. Something isn't right, but with low-ish winds you can compensate or chase the ASL enough to accommodate it. Not sure what's exactly going on. 

23 minutes ago, Mikaa said:

It only seems to do it somewhat accurately with slicks (most likely because the low TOF means less correction needed). With high drags, you seem to end up chasing the ASL at the last moment. Something isn't right, but with low-ish winds you can compensate or chase the ASL enough to accommodate it. Not sure what's exactly going on. 

Neither do I... all I can do for now is write and rewrite my own flight and TAC manuals. For high drag bombs... just have to line up with the wind, more or less.

Damn, all these bugs can make you just forget the Hornet and move on to fancy Apaches and other platforms but I'm a stubborn old goat... :angry:

5 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

Neither do I... all I can do for now is write and rewrite my own flight and TAC manuals. For high drag bombs... just have to line up with the wind, more or less.

Damn, all these bugs can make you just forget the Hornet and move on to fancy Apaches and other platforms but I'm a stubborn old goat... :angry:

The only way I can reliably hit with high drags with any cross wind is to offset the target about 1/4 to 1/3 the way to the side towards the ASL, and then as the ASL slides in, hold pickle, adjust to hit the ASL right with the release cue and hope the timing is right. It's a bit aggravating. Or just don't use high drags at all... which is a shame.

4 minutes ago, Mikaa said:

The only way I can reliably hit with high drags with any cross wind is to offset the target about 1/4 to 1/3 the way to the side towards the ASL, and then as the ASL slides in, hold pickle, adjust to hit the ASL right with the release cue and hope the timing is right. It's a bit aggravating. Or just don't use high drags at all... which is a shame.

Sounds about right. Also, it might be a good idea to haul ass, as low as possible then nodge the nose up to just barely above minimum safe drop alt. then release (even when transonic... nothing bad will happen :biggrin: ).