Fast workflow to store current (George CPG) target location as point

Bearfoot

When flying as pilot and George as CPG, and George finds a target (e.g., you have commanded him to search an area and he gives you list and you select a target), what workflow do you use to store the point?

What I do now is:

1. "Point>"

2. "Add>"

3. Move the MFD cursor so that it overlays the CPG cursor and depress

4. When maneuvering aggressively (e.g. when the "target" is very enthusiastically trying to untarget itself by shooting back!), it's a pain because your cursor is static with respect to the MPD frame, but the relative position of the target in the MPD frame is moving around as YOU are moving around. So it might be good to hit "FRZ>" as step 0 in this case. 

For this approach to work, we have to have the CPG cursor show up on the MPD, of course ("Show>" etc. in your setup) The above works, but is a bit of a song a dance. Especially if you forget to hit "FRZ>" and you find yourself need to twist and turn in a hurry.

Does anyone else have better approach?

35 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

When flying as pilot and George as CPG, and George finds a target (e.g., you have commanded him to search an area and he gives you list and you select a target), what workflow do you use to store the point?

What I do now is:

1. "Point>"

2. "Add>"

3. Move the MFD cursor so that it overlays the CPG cursor and depress

4. When maneuvering aggressively (e.g. when the "target" is very enthusiastically trying to untarget itself by shooting back!), it's a pain because your cursor is static with respect to the MPD frame, but the relative position of the target in the MPD frame is moving around as YOU are moving around. So it might be good to hit "FRZ>" as step 0 in this case. 

For this approach to work, we have to have the CPG cursor show up on the MPD, of course ("Show>" etc. in your setup) The above works, but is a bit of a song a dance. Especially if you forget to hit "FRZ>" and you find yourself need to twist and turn in a hurry.

Does anyone else have better approach?

Doesn't he/cpg store the point? Mine says something like "lased and stored"

• Like 1

Interesting, you’re saying he says it’s stored but when you go to look at the tgt list there isn’t any stored targets?

I’ll have to give it go soon. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

11 hours ago, admiki said:

Use CAQ and store when you move away and have more time.

And if you select TADS as acquisition source, you don't need CPG cursor  (does it even show with George?).

(1) I guess that makes it slightly faster -- still have to fuss about to line up cursor with the target. It's probably relatively less tedious in the real thing, but I have no curves set up on my cursor control input, so small adjustments requires some finesse. 

(2) Ah, you're right. I've been seeing the TADS cross not George's, I think

Unless you are on 1:gazillion map, even being a bit off won't throw you kilometers off of your target. I use acq cross to get me into general area (all little tree clusters look the same from 10 clicks away) and then it's quite easy to get yourself set up.