why is my f16 not doing max speed ?

swaps
Go to solution Solved by swaps,

Hi all,

even with afterburner on I can only get my f16 to do 500 to 700 in level flight. I can go faster a dive obviously but I thought these could do double that ? also if I try to climb vertical to get a shot off at a climbing bandit. I mostly cannot lift the nose high enough to get the shot. This is with afterburner but normally after doing turns which knock my basic speed down the to 300 mark.

Thanks Alan

Edited by swaps

I had that issue before, turned out I was inadvertantly hitting the flap switch to the down position and started flying a bit weird...

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wifi II mobo, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus Tuf Gaming overclocked Nvidia RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm intake fans and 4 x 140mm exhaust fans, side mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in push-pull intake configuration 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

2 minutes ago, 104th_Money said:

I had that issue before, turned out I was inadvertantly hitting the flap switch to the down position and started flying a bit weird...

Thanks I will check, I have never used flaps as far as I remember because flaps come down auto with the landing gear but its possible I could have hit something I should not have done.

Thanks Alan

20 minutes ago, swaps said:

Hi all,

even with afterburner on I can only get my f16 to do 500 to 700

500 to 700 what? Aircraft measure speed in different ways. The HUD in the F-16 defaults to CAS which goes down with altitude. On the right side of the cockpit is a switch that allows you to change the display to TAS (absolute speed) or GS (Speed over ground). 700 CAS sounds about right for max speed.

Mach number is generally a better way to express speed, though at low altitude your max Mach will be greatly limited by drag/structural limits.

image.png

In this screenshot I'm almost supersonic (M 0.90), but my speed displayed in CAS is well under 300. It's because I'm above 40,000 ft in very thin air. If I switched the display to TAS my speed reading would jump to over 500.

• Like 4

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• Solution
14 hours ago, Exorcet said:

500 to 700 what? Aircraft measure speed in different ways. The HUD in the F-16 defaults to CAS which goes down with altitude. On the right side of the cockpit is a switch that allows you to change the display to TAS (absolute speed) or GS (Speed over ground). 700 CAS sounds about right for max speed.

Mach number is generally a better way to express speed, though at low altitude your max Mach will be greatly limited by drag/structural limits.

image.png

In this screenshot I'm almost supersonic (M 0.90), but my speed displayed in CAS is well under 300. It's because I'm above 40,000 ft in very thin air. If I switched the display to TAS my speed reading would jump to over 500.

Hi,

I just put the numbers because I was not sure what the speed was being measured in. I will try and find the tas switch and see true speed but I dont see that I problem is not indicated when I cannot pull vertical with afterburner on . I know in free flight I can pull vertical for a minute or 2 before it finally stalls. but in the practice combat modes I am struggling to pull over 45 degree nose up to get a shot off starting from a speed of around 300 with afterburner on.

1 hour ago, swaps said:

Hi,

I just put the numbers because I was not sure what the speed was being measured in. I will try and find the tas switch and see true speed but I dont see that I problem is not indicated when I cannot pull vertical with afterburner on . I know in free flight I can pull vertical for a minute or 2 before it finally stalls. but in the practice combat modes I am struggling to pull over 45 degree nose up to get a shot off starting from a speed of around 300 with afterburner on.

What are you trying to shoot with a 45 degree loft? And what Mach are you starting at? 300kts is CAS in the HUD, which is dependent on altitude and other factors. When it comes to launching anything, you want to be as close to or above Mach 1 as possible.

2 hours ago, swaps said:

Hi,

It might be best to post a video or track. Your vertical climb ability is heavily dependent on speed, altitude, weight, and drag. Without knowing the specific details there is no way of telling whether there is a problem or not.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Your numbers check out for CAS. Typically, GS when bragging about Viper's speed to civilians. 🙂 You can switch to it in the cockpit and it can be useful for some things, but you do most of your flying according to CAS. 

You want to be between 300 and 400 CAS when fighting. That means you can't do vertical climbs forever. Neither can the bandit, though. Just be patient, wait for him to come back down, and then watch your speed as you go down. Also, vertical should generally be done at the start of the fight, as both combatants lose energy, it goes horizontal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Your numbers check out for CAS. Typically, GS when bragging about Viper's speed to civilians. 🙂 You can switch to it in the cockpit and it can be useful for some things, but you do most of your flying according to CAS. 

You want to be between 300 and 400 CAS when fighting. That means you can't do vertical climbs forever. Neither can the bandit, though. Just be patient, wait for him to come back down, and then watch your speed as you go down. Also, vertical should generally be done at the start of the fight, as both combatants lose energy, it goes horizontal.

Thanks,

Over exaggerated? The Viper now accelerates like a rocket the moment you unload the stick. In fact, the only handling complaint I have are the bizarre roll curves, which are being looked on. If it was any less draggy it could turn off its engine and fly forever as a glider. 🙂 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Over exaggerated? The Viper now accelerates like a rocket the moment you unload the stick. In fact, the only handling complaint I have are the bizarre roll curves, which are being looked on. If it was any less draggy it could turn off its engine and fly forever as a glider. 🙂 

make sure you read it.

• Thanks 2

This is about stores (in other words, things you get rid of before the fight), and it's mostly pronounced in transsonic region. You should not be dogfighting at transsonic speeds in the Viper. We're talking about what's happening in a fight, and there, the drag is mostly correct.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

17 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

This is about stores (in other words, things you get rid of before the fight), and it's mostly pronounced in transsonic region. You should not be dogfighting at transsonic speeds in the Viper. We're talking about what's happening in a fight, and there, the drag is mostly correct.

Dude, this topic is about F-16 with stores in level flight or during a climb, not its dogfight performance as a clean jet...🙄 The exaggerated drag is literally confirmed by ED. 

Edited by SCPanda
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Viper flys like crap in cruise with A/G ordinance up at 25 to 30+ angels if you can get that high.  Yup it’s confirmed a bug with fuel tanks and  a/g stores, guess the air quake was the priority…

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.