Very high memory and paging file usage

After last open beta update i have noticed a very high memory and paging file usage while playing on an MP server with about 27-28 players (Mobettameta dogfight server).

All my 32 gb memory were used and the paging file reached 140 gb dimension, really huge! There are also meny stutters and the game become unplayable.

My config is 4790k with 1080TI and 32gb ram 2400mhz, hp reverb g2 and, until the last update, i had 45fps stable.

I wonder why, thanks

Edited by maxsin72

@maxsin72 - 141 GB is huge. not sure that is necessary. my suggestion would be to make a static pagefile for 32 min and 64 max. some folks are now using windows managed. with a pagefile at 141 the drive is taking resources just to keep up. or if possible get more RAM. 32 is pretty common though.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

28 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

@maxsin72 - 141 GB is huge. not sure that is necessary. my suggestion would be to make a static pagefile for 32 min and 64 max. some folks are now using windows managed. with a pagefile at 141 the drive is taking resources just to keep up. or if possible get more RAM. 32 is pretty common though.

Untill last update, the max memory usage was 24 gb in MP Caucasus and paging file was 40 gb max. Steam vr is also crashing both in beta and stable version. 

It is definitely something related to dcs, memory usage remains really high, about 28 gb, even if i disconnect from MP servers, causing heavy lags. Before the last update, after disconnecting from the MP server, i was under 20gb memory usage.

not sure if it will help. maybe run a repair? i see some posts saying they do a repair after every update. DCS is in deed a hungry application. however if this was an issue with every person we would be seeing a lot more reports. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

2 hours ago, silverdevil said:

It's beyond huge! 😄 

Before I re-installed, I had to run self managed to prevent DCS from crashing. (Was lazy and did the upgrades from 7,8,8.1 to 10).

Now I have a clean Windows 10 install, and I have a Windows manged page file, and DCS haven't crashed once (except when I overclock my GPU, which only happens with DCS 🤷🏼‍♂️). 

32Gigs RAM

3 hours ago, silverdevil said:

not sure if it will help. maybe run a repair? i see some posts saying they do a repair after every update. DCS is in deed a hungry application. however if this was an issue with every person we would be seeing a lot more reports. 

It could be a good idea, i'll try later

I updated today (stable) and mine is consuming all 32GB RAM + 8GB VRAM.... and little lags on Syria map. It sucks.

• Like 1

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

8 hours ago, silverdevil said:

Repair performed, no changes and file paging reached 195gb 🤣

Edited by maxsin72
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, =Skywarp= said:

I updated today (stable) and mine is consuming all 32GB RAM + 8GB VRAM.... and little lags on Syria map. It sucks.

Mine is consuming 28-32gb ram + 11gb vram with low details Caucasus on big MP server 😞

5 hours ago, maxsin72 said:

Mine is consuming 28-32gb ram + 11gb vram with low details Caucasus on big MP server 😞

You use VR... I only use a headtracker + camera... the fall of performance with this last update is a shame...

Edited by =Skywarp=
  • Like 1

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

I can remember happy days many years ago when DCS was still 32Bit (1.5 ?) and could only ever use 3G of RAM when running ............... good times

Now it uses nearly 40G of my 64G of RAM

• Like 3

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it seems DCS is going backwards .

Definitely memory issues  . I can't think of any game using 32GB or ram and all it's Vram  . 

How is MSFS2020  

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .