Using Joystick Gremlin to convert rudder axis to toe brakes

I am buying new rudder pedals that do not have toe brakes.  While I have never used Vjoy/joystick gremblin to any great extent, since both rudder pedals and toe brakes use axis commands, I was wondering if by pressing a button on my HOTAS, I could some how covert the rudder axis to the left and right toe brakes.  Thoughts?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

You can use Joystick Gremlin "split axis" function for make the pedal axis create two new virtual axes (0 - 50% and 51-100%).

And assign this two virtual axes + a modifier button or key for right and left brakes commands.

Drawback: you can't use this axes for stop the plane, because can't press both virtual axes simultaneous, like in real "toe brakes".

Can use just for make turns on ground taxi.

BTW - VKB T-Rudder have their own software solution for this, the T-Link that solve the issue in this way:

A button (or key) pressed increase two virtual axes 0-100% equally (progressively), so both wheels is braked equally.

Moving rudder bar for right or left brake only the respective wheel is braked, the rudder axis movement works only as wheel selector.

Drawback of this solution: The braking is always 100%, although the increase is not instantly, but progressively.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks for the response.  I know about the VKB and gave them serious thought, but they have no damper for helicopter use.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

All of this is beyond my ability.

Try this, create the two virtual axis with Joystick Gremlin, assign this virtual axes for "toe brakes" right an left plus a button or key as modifier.* If you stick have a pinky button use this (if not think about add one).

Use this combination for taxi maneuvers.

Assign the same two virtual axes for "wheel brakes" command, twice but using a different button or key as modifier, since axes names is different, need just one button or key for both.  

So pressing this other modifier button or key and pushing rudder bar on right or left* stop the plane in straight line. * If find more simple set just on side, e.g. right press for "wheel brakes".

Will take some discipline for get used and don't mix the modifiers, or the result will be funny, specially on landings. 😜

=======================================================================================

I think this is more practical, after some practice.

* DCS have the alternative of "Switches"  in Controls - that is permanent modifier, instead the momentary "Modifier" (like a Alt, Shift...).

The "Switches" work like a mode selector, so you can set a "mode" for brakes for taxi.

- Set a key, e.g. Scroll Lock** in "Switches", and assign the two virtual brakes axes plus Scroll Lock for "toe brakes" right and left.

Pressing Scroll Lock once you can just move rudder bar for right or left for brake the respective wheel, because the modifier for the axes - the "switches" Scroll Lock;  is always on.

- Set a button (preferable on joystick) as modifier for "wheel brakes" plus the virtual axes right, left (or just one).

So if want stop the plane straight press this button and push the rudder for right or left = both wheels braked.

At end of taxi, press Scroll Lock again, the "switches" is turned off and pedal now control the yaw, but can use  "wheel brakes" at any moment for stop the plane straight, pressing the assigned joystick button.

** Scroll Lock is convenient for use as "Switches" due their LED, for for monitor if "Switches" of "toe brakes" mode is ON or OFF, but know that the LED may end inverted if don't check their status before hit FLY.  😉 

In this way you avoid the confusion of use two different modifiers for the two brake modes, "toe brakes" or "wheel brakes".

You will need turn the "Switches" on again after landing and stop the plane, for do the taxi maneuvers. 

Hope that may idea don't end more confused than it looks. 😄

Edited by Sokol1_br