Jester and Dogfights

Eagle7907

Is there any news or something in the works for Jester to fix his spotting during dogfights? Good grief it’s almost pointless to have him say anything positioning during dogfights. It’s always lagging/lacking in information and causes me to constantly either over-correct or under-correct to bring the enemy in front where they belong. It’s been like this ever since release and is my only true complaint to this module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Is there any news or something in the works for Jester to fix his spotting during dogfights? Good grief it’s almost pointless to have him say anything positioning during dogfights. It’s always lagging/lacking in information and causes me to constantly either over-correct or under-correct to bring the enemy in front where they belong. It’s been like this ever since release and is my only true complaint to this module.

I believe it is working as designed, considering human error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Aircraft are fast, close, constantly moving around and maneuvering. It can change as fast as 1 second from 12 to 6 o'clock. There will always be some lag - more or less. Remember the attitude and position you were in when hearing last direction and predict from there.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Okay, well I’m considering turning it off then. I think the speed calls are very helpful, but the position reports just don’t help me, and in many ways confuse me.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

It's a tough thing to model properly. The human brain is pretty amazing. We do some complex things without even realizing we're doing them.

For example when I'm RIOing for someone and I see a bandit closing from our 10 o'clock and I can tell by its motion that it will pass by our 9 and to our 8 quickly, I can anticipate my verbiage without even giving it much thought. I know that by the time I finish my sentence and by the time my driver processes my call out the bandit will be passing by our 9. So instead of calling "bandit 10 o clock" I call "bandit 9 o clock" so that my driver has time to look to our 9 in time for the bandit to be there. My goal is to have my driver looking in that spot before the bandit even gets there so it passes right in front of his face. Its something most of us don't think about, it just comes naturally, but its gotta be difficult to program into a videogame AI. 

Unfortunately Jester seems limited to calling out exactly what he sees, and there's probably a lag between what he sees and queuing the audio file, and then another delay for Jester to complete his sentence, and another delay for you to process what he just told you, and another to turn your head. By then the bandit might be on the opposite side of you.

I try to think of Jester's calls as if they were coming from 2 or 3 seconds in the past. 

Right and that still traps me, even though I already know that. This is why I am considering a way to just remove the position reports while dogfighting. I don’t know if that’s possible or not.