NVS in VR

Roller25

Anyone else having problems looking through the IHADSS with night vision on in VR?

I have it set to right eye but find it extremely difficult to see properly.

I've used monocle style night vision in the military many years ago but never found it this distracting.

Any pointers? Maybe render both eyes?

I go with the rendering with one eye only. I'm forcing myself to continue to get the brain trained to 'get used to it'. I've found over time that I'm getting better and better than it.

I've found it helps to lower the brightness down, and also at times to close one eye at times if I'm mentally lost until I regain my composure. The 'Shock' effect (for lack of a better word) is worst at the very start. The longer I stay in the better it gets, and each time I go and fly again I find the 'shock' factor less and less as my brain is slowly getting more familiar with it. 

I think it's one of those things that the brain simply isn't used to but the longer you persist, the more the brain will adapt. FWIW - I'm extremely grateful that I get to experience this in VR as opposed to having to fly 2D.

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

I go with the rendering with one eye only. I'm forcing myself to continue to get the brain trained to 'get used to it'. I've found over time that I'm getting better and better than it.

I've found it helps to lower the brightness down, and also at times to close one eye at times if I'm mentally lost until I regain my composure. The 'Shock' effect (for lack of a better word) is worst at the very start. The longer I stay in the better it gets, and each time I go and fly again I find the 'shock' factor less and less as my brain is slowly getting more familiar with it. 

I think it's one of those things that the brain simply isn't used to but the longer you persist, the more the brain will adapt. FWIW - I'm extremely grateful that I get to experience this in VR as opposed to having to fly 2D.

Yeah I tried lowering the brightness. There just seems to be something very odd with it. Not sure what it is..

I never had a problem in real life with night vision on one eye.

3 minutes ago, Roller25 said:

...come to think of it. I think it is because the image is too close to the eye. Probably an HMD issue, not sim.

The image only renders in one eye only - so as such I don't think there is any distance to the image. It might be the perceived distance that your brain is telling you it's at - but AFAIK, to accurately simulate distance - the image would need to be displayed in both eyes?

Otherwise if it's the optical distance (after going through the lens) - which I think most are around 1m or so - if that was too close, then wouldn't that be the same for all rendering regardless of one or two eyes?

I've used IR monoculars IRL too - and it's definitely different - but normally I am only using one eye when using the IR monoculars - even if the other is open - it doesn't have light or other things shining in it as I'm in the field, and not in a cockpit.  IDK for sure - just thinking out loud, but like you - I have used IR monoculars IRL - and it's very different, and I strugged at start with DCS's implementation too but all it took was time to adjust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roller25 said:

Anyone else having problems looking through the IHADSS with night vision on in VR?

I have it set to right eye but find it extremely difficult to see properly.

I've used monocle style night vision in the military many years ago but never found it this distracting.

Any pointers? Maybe render both eyes?

Don't try rendering on both eyes. It's good for looking ourside, but looking around the cockpit It makes you go cross-eyed and hurts your brain.

It's the same with George AI interface, I wish it could be rendered the same, just on one eye.

• Like 2
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Roller25:

Yeah I tried lowering the brightness. There just seems to be something very odd with it. Not sure what it is..

I never had a problem in real life with night vision on one eye.

Make sure that the MFD render resolution is set to something with "every frame". If not, you have to restart DCS after setting it, otherwise you won't see a difference.

For me the problem was that the PNVS update rate had an extremely low FPS. It seems like it is affected by this setting. Now, everything is fine.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Wychmaster said:

Make sure that the MFD render resolution is set to something with "every frame". If not, you have to restart DCS after setting it, otherwise you won't see a difference.

For me the problem was that the PNVS update rate had an extremely low FPS. It seems like it is affected by this setting. Now, everything is fine.

I'll try that. I think at the moment I have it set to 1024, but not "every frame"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on feeling right-home at night and use this tune to give me an effect my brain is ok with:

• Preflight:
    • Render in both eyes
    • Don't show the reticle sight
  • Fire the bird up, then get the cockpit dim as possible... Flood off, turn down instruments/MFD's/CMWS lamp, all of it to a level that seems too low at first.  Go with it for now, eyes will adjust like RL while you setup
  • Fiddle with the IHADSS symbology so that it's bright enough to see clearly into the dark night, but dim enough to optically disappear on the instrument panel (cockpit lights are slightly brighter than symbology
  • Repeat the previous concept for PVNS brightness, FLIR, etc
  • I have a collective button mapped to turn IHADSS on/off entirely, as my bail-out for if my brain forgets where the focal plane is again...it still happens.  A couple seconds off, take a breath, and then brain works again.

The idea is I reduce the visual conflicts between cockpit and head display by offsetting their brightness to make them distinct from each other.  And in general, getting everything quite dim at night, eerily dim, then letting my night vision come in makes the VR experience quite believable. Crazy good.

System: Core i9 10980XE @ 4.00GHz -- MB: X299 UD4 Pro -- 32GB RAM -- RTX4070ti -- 1TB Intel NVMe x2 -- Win10 pro