Question to EDM gurrus: dark backside alpha textures ?

Hi Blender/DCS gurrus,

After some months fighting with Blender, EDM exporter, textures... I was finaly able to achieve my goal but I am facing a problem with textures with alpha chanel.

I did some very simple low poly (2 perpendicular crossing faces) / low texture trees exported as "double side" EDM model with blender. 
As you can see in the following pictures when facing the sun the rendering is good but in the opposite direction it is far too dark...
It sounds like a problem with alpha channel textures because the buildings (without alpha) I build and exported in a similar way do NOT suffer this.  So obviously I am doing something wrong between alpha and non-alpha Blender EDM exportation process... or may be some texture files are missing (I use only diffuse map). Any Idea ?

Thanks.

Facing the sun :

BrightTrees.JPG

Opposite direction:

DarkTrees.JPG

DCS native trees are also dark when not facing the sun but at large distance they are bright although mine stay completly dark..

DarkTreesDCS.JPG

BrightTreesDCS.JPG

3 hours ago, tobi said:

What edm materialproperties do you use?

Hi tobi,

Not exactly sure about what you are asking (still noob here) so I rather post a screen of the EDm exporter.
I use blending set to 2 (tanks to Eightball advises) but I do not really know what is the difference between values 0, 1, 2,... Same for the shadow.
Is there somewhere a simple basic explanation about what these different values means ?

But may be your question concern the Material slot... Edm is my texture name and I didn't touch the Solid preset.

Thanks in advance for your help.

image.png

Just want to mention that in Blender texture view, there is only a small difference between front and back side (see pictures)
while in DCS there is a large one the back side being mostly black.
I tried playing with the edm material (forest, self-illuminated, transparent sef-illuminated) without even worst results.
May be the solution is "Solid" with a good combination of blending and shawod or specular map or whatever I cant imagine...

Hope someone will have a good solution...

Thanks in advance.

light.JPG

dark.JPG

Edited by CougarFFW04

6 hours ago, tobi said:

Could you try different combinations of blendend and shadows on the solid material? You could summarize the results and I could add it to the readme.

For a different problem than the author's, I have tried all 16 combinations of the Blending and Shadows settings. Blending seems to affect the alpha channel as stated in the release notes but I did not see any noticeable change with the Shadows settings. In my case I was trying to find a setting that would give me something like the "Billboard" material or a solid that does not cast shadows, but so far I can't find a good solution. 

I re-did the test here. 16 identical 2-sided planes with identical texture (a BC2//DXT3 mipmapped dds with a slanted gradient in the alpha channel). Blending values on 1 axis and shadows on the other. 

blend1.png

backside 

Screen_220419_231344.jpg

Edited by prccowboy

Hi prccowboy,

Thanks for tried of all 16 combinations of the Blending and Shadows settings.

So it sounds that none of the combination have any influence on the bright/dark face luminosity...
So no solution on this side for my bright/dark trees.
May be the solution would be to model trees in another way than juste 2x2faces perpendicular with alpha channel.
But I have no idea what low poly approach I could use nor how DCS build there trees...
Any idea ?

Or may be with the parameters of the specular map...
Anyone with specular map parameters experience ?

Thanks

Edited by CougarFFW04