TAD show sat data?

Trying to ween myself off relying on the red markers the game can provide for enemies to have a true realistic experience.  I find I can engage enemies much further out before red data shows up.

F10 map shows hostiles and will assume that's real time sat data of the battlefield which I am sure exists current day. This would be the equivalent of command relaying general locations to me.  Able to use sat data to get an idea of enemy locations to then spot with TGP.  This works but is hit or miss with how quickly I can do it. Things look different when on air etc.  Is it possible to make TAD show a sat data instead of a map? Would like to slew around TAD sat and put mark points that I can then see on HMD, pull TGP to HMD and start searching.

Edited by directorguy7

The short of it: that doesn't work in DCS. If you get advance intel (using the Mission Planner), you can put waypoints onto suspected enemy locations, but those won't update when the enemies are moving away from those locations during the mission.

The slightly more convoluted answer:

AFAIK, the real jet can indeed display a lot more stuff on the TAD, which will help pilots gain and maintain situational awareness. Many other DCS modules now have similar functionality, including the Hornet and the Apache. But I'm not aware of any plans to include this into the A-10C, because the module is considered mostly feature complete, with the biggest item still missing from the A-10C II being a new radio that doesn't have anything to do with the TAD.

The F10 map is a game-ism. First, your settings under the Gameplay tab determine which units will be shown on the F10 map (all; fog of war (friendlies plus those hostiles that have been actively spotted by friendlies); friendlies; none). Mission designers can override this setting on a per-mission basis.

Then, mission designers can hide individual units from the Mission Planner and from the in-game F10-map.

Another pure game-ism is an option called "labels" that show units in the 3D world with red or blue, well, labels. 😇

I understand that some players consider labels to be an okay work-around, because DCS is just a game and it's so hard to spot units. Well, that's all true. My opinion is that labels are a terrible workaround. Switch them off and forget the option even exists. Spotting targets is hard in real life as well, and the A-10C offers some of the most amazing tools available today to help us in this regard.

The problem is that we're usually working in a dynamic environment where enemy units aren't just waiting to receive a Maverick and a couple of JDAMs, but we don't usually have the intel or the comms that real pilots would have in such a situation.

Creating good briefings and well designed missions is an artform, and many missions fails in this regard. And even the best missions are often scripted in advance and expect a very specific flow. As soon as players or the AI do something unexpected, the mission becomes broken.

So, what can you do about it? For starters, try to pick good missions. Those are missions with good briefings that will let you know ahead of time what to expect, and where to expect it. Take the time to understand the mission plan, look at the mission planner, look at the terrain, build a mental picture of your flight plan, the target area and so on. Understand the mission objective.

Missions can be fun and entertaining when they want you to single handedly defeat the red army. But I find missions to be much more fulfilling that require me to put one weapon on one target at a very specific time and be part of a larger package, where a renegade Hog that then loiters over the FEBA becomes a liability to all the other friendly assets that don't have the fuel to protect me while I go rogue.

The payware campaigns tend to rank pretty high in this regard and they usually tell an interesting story surrounding the individual missions.

But ultimately, salvation lies within multiplayer. 😄

When you find a group of likeminded guys and gals with whom you fly together, get to know each other, develop a set of common techniques and procedures and a common lingo, and you then work in a very dynamic environment, where maybe someone also takes on the role of airborne or ground based controllers (AWACS, FAC/JTAC), DCS just takes on a whole new dimension. Whether you aim for coop vs. AI or player vs. player in a competitive environment is totally up to you, and both have their pros and cons. And of course it can be decided on a per-mission basis whether it's coop or competitive.

In either case, multiplayer is where DCS really really shines, and there are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable communities out there who are always willing to take on new players.

Not sure if this is exactly the answer you were looking for, but that's my 2 cents anyway. 😉

Edited by Yurgon

Tads doesn’t display sat data.  On tads using exp1 and exp2 ( china hat fwd short with tads as soi) functions will allow you to freely move the map around essentially and place mark points( tms right short) at locations. The map will be zoomed in , so you kind of have to go to the f10 map( in standard map mode), find your target areas, zoom it in until it shows the same data as the tads display in exp mode ( can zoom tads in and out with dms fwd/aft too in exp modes) then try to find those locations on the tads and start placing markpoints. Then you can turn your cdu knob ( mission/ steerpoint/ markpoint knob , I don’t know the actual name of it) to markpoint to display those on the tads/ hmcs. Then when you get in a decent range you could use “active pause” to freeze your aircraft ( everything else in the mission will continue as normal) but still be able to scan for targets in the areas you marked. It takes practice  to get quick at it in real time, but it gets easier. I usually find target areas with exp modes and place markpoints before ever taking off. Even in multiplayer  I’ll mark several areas. That’s about the best way I’ve found to use the f-10 map and tads in conjunction. I still use dots only for enemies up close, since DCS doesn’t really have all of the intel available at any given moment ( aside from Jtac if availalable). Props to the players who don’t use labels/ dots of any sort. I’ve tried and I can’t find anything until I fly in and look around for something shooting at me.😂 One side note, as you zoom the tads and f10 map there will be areas that just don’t show up, this just means that in that specific area, at that specific zoom level there is no available map data. 

Edited by MadKreator
  • Thanks 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Yurgon:

The short of it: that doesn't work in DCS. If you get advance intel (using the Mission Planner), you can put waypoints onto suspected enemy locations, but those won't update when the enemies are moving away from those locations during the mission.

The slightly more convoluted answer:

AFAIK, the real jet can indeed display a lot more stuff on the TAD, which will help pilots gain and maintain situational awareness. Many other DCS modules now have similar functionality, including the Hornet and the Apache. But I'm not aware of any plans to include this into the A-10C, because the module is considered mostly feature complete, with the biggest item still missing from the A-10C II being a new radio that doesn't have anything to do with the TAD.

The F10 map is a game-ism. First, your settings under the Gameplay tab determine which units will be shown on the F10 map (all; fog of war (friendlies plus those hostiles that have been actively spotted by friendlies); friendlies; none). Mission designers can override this setting on a per-mission basis.

Then, mission designers can hide individual units from the Mission Planner and from the in-game F10-map.

Another pure game-ism is an option called "labels" that show units in the 3D world with red or blue, well, labels. 😇

I understand that some players consider labels to be an okay work-around, because DCS is just a game and it's so hard to spot units. Well, that's all true. My opinion is that labels are a terrible workaround. Switch them off and forget the option even exists. Spotting targets is hard in real life as well, and the A-10C offers some of the most amazing tools available today to help us in this regard.

The problem is that we're usually working in a dynamic environment where enemy units aren't just waiting to receive a Maverick and a couple of JDAMs, but we don't usually have the intel or the comms that real pilots would have in such a situation.

Creating good briefings and well designed missions is an artform, and many missions fails in this regard. And even the best missions are often scripted in advance and expect a very specific flow. As soon as players or the AI do something unexpected, the mission becomes broken.

So, what can you do about it? For starters, try to pick good missions. Those are missions with good briefings that will let you know ahead of time what to expect, and where to expect it. Take the time to understand the mission plan, look at the mission planner, look at the terrain, build a mental picture of your flight plan, the target area and so on. Understand the mission objective.

Missions can be fun and entertaining when they want you to single handedly defeat the red army. But I find missions to be much more fulfilling that require me to put one weapon on one target at a very specific time and be part of a larger package, where a renegade Hog that then loiters over the FEBA becomes a liability to all the other friendly assets that don't have the fuel to protect me while I go rogue.

The payware campaigns tend to rank pretty high in this regard and they usually tell an interesting story surrounding the individual missions.

But ultimately, salvation lies within multiplayer. 😄

When you find a group of likeminded guys and gals with whom you fly together, get to know each other, develop a set of common techniques and procedures and a common lingo, and you then work in a very dynamic environment, where maybe someone also takes on the role of airborne or ground based controllers (AWACS, FAC/JTAC), DCS just takes on a whole new dimension. Whether you aim for coop vs. AI or player vs. player in a competitive environment is totally up to you, and both have their pros and cons. And of course it can be decided on a per-mission basis whether it's coop or competitive.

In either case, multiplayer is where DCS really really shines, and there are amazingly helpful and knowledgeable communities out there who are always willing to take on new players.

Not sure if this is exactly the answer you were looking for, but that's my 2 cents anyway. 😉

Wrong thread, wrong aircraft. 🤣

IIRC the D-model does only have Datalink between Apaches not Link16 or the like where you get joint data. The D-model got modern Datalink integration and better connectivity. At least that was the plan...

So with our AH-64D we should get the Apache network, similar to what the Ka-50 has and more. That will be very cool with the FCR and create and transmit fire zones between an Apache Team.

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 2

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Umm no, if i understand you correctly.
To show "F10" on the tad is not possible. maybe with some sort of mod, i dont know tho.
Nor can you place markpoints precise on the tad because it doesnt show the cordinates the tad cursor is at.
So you cant use F10 to get cords. then use tad to place them in. you can,  but it will just be an estimate.

If the targets you want to mark are "static" units and location is know.
Then screw the markpoint, and instead just use waypoints.
Before taking off, or in flight. just create new waypoints before starting enaging.. 
Example if you mission has 10 waypoints. create waypont 11. call it forexample: emy1
Use F10 . (LAlt + Y, to prefered cordination format) to extract the cordinates and so forth.

Hopefully you have binded the cdu to your keyboard with a switch to make your life easyer.
And once get the hang of it you can insert wp blindfolded by just looking at F10 directly 😛
Once you have the waypoints setup,  slewing the tgp/mav cam is super fast. its just a matter of changeing stearpoint. 

If the units you are engaging are on the move or more of a dynamic behavioure. then its a different ballpark.
maybe just add 1 waypoint to a general search area.
But nor waypoint or markpoint makes sence for each units you want to engage in that case..

One annoying thing with Markpoints. you cant delete the added one.  so if you screw up. you need to add a new one and clutter things up 😞
You supposely can do this in the real A-10 CII plane, with the blank button on the cdu.
We need more love for the A10 🙂

Yup, using markpoints on tads and inputting steerpoint on cdu will get you in the general area, for pinpoint locations you have to search the area with tgp. There is no way to get the real time targets from f10 on to the TADS. 

Edited by MadKreator

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

16 hours ago, nuxil said:

One annoying thing with Markpoints. you cant delete the added one.  so if you screw up. you need to add a new one and clutter things up 😞
You supposely can do this in the real A-10 CII plane, with the blank button on the cdu.
We need more love for the A10 🙂

The secret to not having to delete markpoints is to spam them so often it doesn't matter 🙂 For example:

• I find following a road in the TGP with slew controls annoying, so I just make HMCS SOI, drop markpoints spaced about one TGP box apart along the road, then I can just flip through them all without messing with the slew control.
  • If I need to mark a point and a direction, I'll draw a little arrow on the ground with 3-4 markpoints 
  • Use them to triangulate radar SAMs on the RWR

These sort of things will cycle you through the markpoints pretty quickly, so no need to delete them 🙂 

Year or so ago ED said they were going to add some symbology/features to the TAD as part of the A-10ac v2 upgrade but it’s been super quiet on the subject (and any other bug fixes or planned features such as the long 184, ARC-210, missing HMCS symbology (I.e. what shows for AI Hornets and Vipers isn’t the same as clients) and based on comments from Nineline I don’t expect any of the actual missing HMCS symbology to be added).

• Like 2