VR in OB

Johnny Dioxin

Pretty awesome if I do say so myself.  

I did a head-to-head a couple of weeks ago when I first tried the OpenXR mod, I ran it in stable first (so I wouldn't screw up my OB install, which is where I am most of the time) and then plugged it in to OB.  They were exactly the same for me

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Hi all, can someone please advise how well VR is working in the current open beta release? Performance for me is good in the stable.

Thanx

Stable version and OB are the same at this time: 2.7.11.22211

That, of course, will change with the next OB release

• Thanks 1

Depending on your hardware VR and DCS is great.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

6 hours ago, Cab said:

Stable version and OB are the same at this time: 2.7.11.22211

That, of course, will change with the next OB release

That's good to know - I hadn't realised and hadn't been around for some time, so not surprising. Now I can try the Apache 🙂

Thanks guys

edit: does make me wonder why a number of modules in the shop state that the open beta is required to play them, though 🤔

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

39 minutes ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

That's good to know - I hadn't realised and hadn't been around for some time, so not surprising. Now I can try the Apache 🙂

Thanks guys

edit: does make me wonder why a number of modules in the shop state that the open beta is required to play them, though 🤔

It should be stated the other way around; all modules work on Open Beta, but not all modules work on Stable.
On my opinion life is too short to fly Stable, go for it 😉

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

1 hour ago, Johnny Dioxin said:

Thanks guys

This is a good forum post to keep up with changes and status:

All modules require Beta when they are first introduced. I haven't looked myself but it sounds like ED may not be updating the e-shop postings after modules are included in Stable.

Yes, I looked at the release announcements page posted by Big Newy - maybe it's just me being an old duffer, but I just couldn't find a stable release for this year, only open betas. Funnily enough, after I read the replies here I started DCS and the first thing was a 38GB update! So that sorts that one.

The Apache is shown as open beta only - but many of the campaigns are also listed as requiring it - the whole first page and first two of the second page (12 campaigns in all) on the eshop.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

13 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

It should be stated the other way around; all modules work on Open Beta, but not all modules work on Stable.
On my opinion life is too short to fly Stable, go for it 😉

I haven't used open beta since before the Hornet. The reasons were twofold - that I was writing tutorial guides for my website, so these needed to be based on the stable version, but also for VR stability.

I see a lot of people complaining about VR performance - not as many now as before, but still enough - and after building a new PC and doing a fresh clean install of the stable release at the time, I suddenly found my performance was very smooth and well within the acceptable range. I didn't want anything to mess that up, so I've no mods (except some long standing object additions necessary for many user made missions) and stayed with stable to not risk messing that up. I can't fly as much as I used to and some of the aircraft are beyond what I can manage now, so I think it's worth it. I also stopped flying online where OB is mostly required.

Edited by Johnny Dioxin

Kneeboard Guides