My WiiMote project is complete!

JonK

OH WOW!! first time reading this because i'm .... really late or something...... think i might try this!! O.o i just need a wiimote and the push button and LED right? Coooooool :P i have blue tooth capability.....

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I have had no problem hitting any switches in the DCS cockpit. Larger ones like the master arm, all the way down to the smaller toggles for the data link and back right panel.

Right now I am looking at making this a bit smaller, to the point where it should fit on the finger, up to the first knuckle.

If anyone is interested now though, I can work a few more up with gloves and send them out. I'll ensure that the quality is better than my prototype. It does take some time though, so this can't be for free. $30US would be fair.

If you are interested, please get a hold of me by PM here, or through e-mail;

CockpitIR (at) Gmail (dot) com

Email sent!!! Really looking forward to buying two of these if possible!

So except that I also need to buy a wiimote and some bluetooth unit, correct?

Edited by =RvE=Yoda

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

what if, instead of a wii remote, you used a webcam (kinda like headtracker)? Would that work?

I'm hoping so.

I just stumbled across this absolutely amazing project yesterday.

Last night I went out looking for all the components needed but couldn't find a bluetooth dongle,( I live in a pretty small town).

This morning I asked my self the very same question you had. After a little searching I found a program that a gentleman wrote that uses a webcam to interface with a whiteboard program. It can be found here http://eduard.metzger.googlepages.com/webcam-whiteboard .

This after noon I had it up and running and seems to work ok. My setup was very, very primitive just to see if everything would run. Using a small LED light, I managed to adjust the setting and calibrate the whiteboard. I haven't used it in a game yet but managed to open and close applications and click icons on my desktop.

I'm in the middle of making a glove as I type this. Hopefully I can get it to work well enough in game. It'll be til after the newyear before I can get the parts needed for the wiimote project.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any success with it.

Im still currently having alot of trouble calibrating mine, cant get it accurate. The wiiwhiteboard is only picking up 30 or so on the tracking. Pretty much useless in blackshark for me at the moment as a screen press will relate to a click 2 inches higher than my finger.

Im now in the process of making a 6ft stand for the wiimote to sit behind me with a fair downward angle. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Aka Slammer

I understand how this works except for the clicking the buttons part.

How does the clicking of the switches work with the infrared.

Intel I7-10700K, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVMe, MSI Z490 ACE, RAM:64GB DDR4 3600, WIN 10-64, 1080Ti😩

Waiting on a good RTX

AH-64D|AV-88|A10CII|F15E|F16CM|FA18C|F14B|NV|PG|Syria|Synia

I understand how this works except for the clicking the buttons part.

How does the clicking of the switches work with the infrared.

The is a button on the end of your finger that turns on a Infra Red LED light also at the end of your finger that the wiimote detacts as a button click at a certain position on screen.

Nate

JonK just to clarify i dont need a whole WII system just the controller right?

Yes, all this required from the Wii is the controller, which are also sold separately.

I have contacted a manufacturing company to try and get these made on a more product related level. I should be hearing back from them within the week. The requests we have received for this has pretty much made it so we would not be able to do this on our own, unless it was done full time.

I'll have more info in the next week.

Ok, BT dongle bought and installed, Wii mote connected... so far so good. Tomorrow the IR led and switch...

thumbs crossed I can get a good setup wrt the trackIR.

Can anyone post a pic of the layout where the wii mote (stand) and TrackIr are visible so I can get an idea of how to setup things?

Guys I use the Wiimote with FT which works as good as TIR4 for 6DOF. The WIImote is able to track 4 points would it be possible to use one wiimote to track finger presses (1 point) and head tracking (3 points for 6DOF)?.

Guys just so you all know buy a genuine wiimote because the copies are inferiour and are able to track only 2 points.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YES! Genius! I saw Johnny Lee's video blog on this a while back and I've been racking my brain trying to think of a solution to use it in this way. Very nice idea with the LED switch, it's perfect! Thanks for sharing man.

Good luck with the patent. I hope Mr. Lee sees some royalties from this though... :thumbup:

The WIImote is able to track 4 points would it be possible to use one wiimote to track finger presses (1 point) and head tracking (3 points for 6DOF)?.

Guys just so you all know buy a genuine wiimote because the copies are inferiour and are able to track only 2 points.

I think a single Wii Remote would be insufficient here for simultaneously tracking the head and finger. The three points that track head movement would be probably at least two feet away from the monitor (which is primarily where the finger tip needs to be tracked). With a 41 degree FOV, I don't think that the Wii Remote could have a large enough capture volume to do double duty. Even if it *could* capture the head and finger at the same time, your freedom of head movement would be significantly restricted--probably to the point that you sacrifice the effectiveness of both types of tracking.

Additionally, I don't think that the Wii Remote can distinguish between two rigid bodies. I might be mistaken on that, but if it can't distinguish between the single LED on the finger and the other three on the head, the software would probably switch them out quite often, resulting in very erratic tracking.

I think you need at least two cameras--unless you have access to a very powerful IR camera with a really wide FOV... plus some software that will simultaneously track multiple rigid bodies. In that event, you'd also need more than one LED on the glove. Things would get complex and spendy. :)

In addition to all of that, I think you might have some trouble exporting the positional data of two separate objects into two separate pieces of software... being tracked by one camera.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention...

Guys I use the Wiimote with FT which works as good as TIR4 for 6DOF.

Not to hijack things here... but is this actually an accurate statement? Do you own or have you tried TrackIR 4? I've been motivated by statements similar to this over the past week to try FreeTrack out with two different webcams (I've got two TrackIRs for comparison). They're both from the Logitech QuickCam line, which is supposedly highly recommended by the FreeTrack devs. Anyhow, I got it up and running after 20 minutes or so, and loaded it up with ArmA. The settings seemed decent within the FreeTrack preview skull window thing, but once I got into ArmA... holy crap. It was so choppy, and it lost tracking so easily... I felt like I was going to have a flipping seizure. It was like Saturday morning cartoons in Japan--way too much movement for my tender eyes. What am I doing wrong? Anyone with some input can feel free to respond via PM, or direct me to a relevant thread, as I'm not trying to hijack this thread (which is extremely awesome, I must say). At this point, from a performance standpoint, my little competition has TrackIR leading FreeTrack by a ways. TrackIR doesn't track perfectly, but FreeTrack made my brain want to weep. I definitely want to give both equal opportunity though. I've heard a lot of statements made by both "sides," as it were, and I'd like to find the actual truth here.

Anyhow, enough rambling. :)

Edited by 'Winder
Ummmmm..... are you sure?

I think a single Wii Remote would be insufficient here for simultaneously tracking the head and finger. The three points that track head movement would be probably at least two feet away from the monitor (which is primarily where the finger tip needs to be tracked). With a 41 degree FOV' date=' I don't think that the Wii Remote could have a large enough capture volume to do double duty. Even if it *could* capture the head and finger at the same time, your freedom of head movement would be significantly restricted--probably to the point that you sacrifice the effectiveness of both types of tracking..[/quote']

The Wiimote can see four points independently. If you reversed the active tracking points on the trackclip so they sat on the back of your head and then reversed the axsis in the software FT can be used behind you and it could also see the screen.

Additionally' date=' I don't think that the Wii Remote can distinguish between two rigid bodies. I might be mistaken on that, but if it can't distinguish between the single LED on the finger and the other three on the head, the software would probably switch them out quite often, resulting in very erratic tracking..[/quote']

See above. I need to test if FT will ignore the extra tracking input but I don't have an extra IR source to use for testing. This is also vice versa for Jonny Lee's Wiiwhiteboard. (highly doubtful but worth a shot).

I think you need at least two cameras--unless you have access to a very powerful IR camera with a really wide FOV... plus some software that will simultaneously track multiple rigid bodies. In that event' date=' you'd also need more than one LED on the glove. Things would get complex and spendy.[/quote']

No. The wiimote camera is very powerful capable of tracking all four points independently at 100 FPS. You can increase the cameras FOV by placing it further away and using high output Infared L.E.D.'s 1000+nm should be ample for 2-5 meters.

Not to hijack things here... but is this actually an accurate statement? Do you own or have you tried TrackIR 4? I've been motivated by statements similar to this over the past week to try FreeTrack out with two different webcams (I've got two TrackIRs for comparison). They're both from the Logitech QuickCam line' date=' which is supposedly highly recommended by the FreeTrack devs. Anyhow, I got it up and running after 20 minutes or so, and loaded it up with ArmA. The settings seemed decent within the FreeTrack preview skull window thing, but once I got into ArmA... holy crap. It was so choppy, and it lost tracking so easily... I felt like I was going to have a flipping seizure. It was like Saturday morning cartoons in Japan--way too much movement for my tender eyes. What am I doing wrong? Anyone with some input can feel free to respond via PM, or direct me to a relevant thread, as I'm not trying to hijack this thread (which is extremely awesome, I must say). At this point, from a performance standpoint, my little competition has TrackIR leading FreeTrack by a ways. TrackIR doesn't track perfectly, but FreeTrack made my brain want to weep. I definitely want to give both equal opportunity though. I've heard a lot of statements made by both "sides," as it were, and I'd like to find the actual truth here.[/quote']

Yes I'm using FT2.2 now with the wiimote and it's running at a smooth 100 fps. anything over 35 fps the human eye will see as fluid movement. FT 2.2 with the wiimote really is as smooth panning as TIR4.

*EDITED* Don't use Webcams with FT 2.2 they are inferiour to the IR camera in the wiimote (30 FPS v's 100 FPS) and a waste of time IMO. AFAIK The wiimote (3v) is actually superiour to TIR (5v) USB in power consumption and processing power. TIR does have a wider FOV though.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1BEmEP-vei8&feature=related

Edited by Vault
Ummmm yes I am the Wiimote works just as good as TIR4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I also use a Wiimote with FreeTrack 2.2. The FreeTrack folks have documented that the Wiimote IR camera puts a much lower load on the processor than a web cam does. I won't opine that FreeTrack with a Wiimote is just as good as a TrackIR because I don't have a TrackIR to compare to. I will venture that based upon a comparison of the TrackIR's camera specs vs the Wiimote's, that a properly adjusted FreeTrack 2.2 using a Wiimote should be entirely acceptable.

As for the touch screen emulation via IR LED and a Wiimote, I've been contemplating that since seeing it on Urze's project list. Johnny Lee Chung deserves all the kudos that he gets for his breakthrough work with Wiimote IR cameras.

Prior to seeing JonK's thread here, I was thinking that I would locate the activation switch differently. My first thought was to put a switch on the middle finger tip pad, such that it could be activated by the thumb while pointing the index finger (with the IR LED mounted upon it) at the screen. That should allow the IR LED to be right on the tip of the finger, hopefully yielding good, repeatable accuracy.

I'm running this on an Acer Aspire 8920 laptop (gorgeous screen!), so I'm hoping that I might be able to get this to where I would just get the LED close to the screen, but not quite touching it. ( Of course, that probably won't hold up too well in practice, when I'm getting shot at... ;) )

I have some other possible refinements that I want to ponder and possibly pursue. If anything good comes out of that, I'll definitely post something.

Regarding the use of Wiimote(s) with a PC, be aware that Bluetooth stacks can be a *major* issue. My Acer Aspire has Bluetooth built in. While the included Bluetooth stack appeared to yield a "connection", it did not achieve useable communications with the Wiimote. (Vista 64 bit, BTW). The only stack that worked in my case was BlueSoliel... so there was a bit of extra expense that I hadn't anticipated. If you're buying a Bluetooth dongle to add Bluetooth to your computer, I would definitely recommend looking for one that includes the BlueSoliel stack.

As for using a single Wiimote to handle both FreeTrack and touch screen emulation, I don't see how the FreeTrack software would be compatible with that. In my opinion, you would need to write new software, and it would not be a trivial undertaking. By the time you got done with it, the expense of a second Wiimote would look miniscule (if you value your time at all).

JonK... specifically which program(s) are you using from http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/ ??

Thanks!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Johnny Lee Chung deserves all the kudos that he gets for his breakthrough work with Wiimote IR cameras.

Johnny did a great job of publicizing wiimote homebrew by making some great videos and apps but his work was not entirely new and was largely founded on the hard work of others. I believe the guys that reverse engineered the wiimote and made the details public, making all this possible, deserve much more credit.

Positioning the camera is probably the biggest pain for this project, it has to be rock solid for calibration reasons but is likely to get in the way and be knocked.