Release Modes

dresoccer4

Wanting to know more about all the different release modes for the GBU-12. In Chuck's guide he says just to use Auto. However which one does manual release? What is DTOS, VIP, and DIR? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

image.png

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

CCIP is what I think you consider a manual mode, it will display on the HUD targeting reticle (or reflected reticle) showing where it predicts the bomb would fall if it was released right now.

DTOS is from what I understand like Harriers point blank designation CCIP-to-CCRP, except it's a separate mode instead of just holding a button, you aim with HUD, press the button, it switches to CCRP and you know the rest.

DIR is an unassisted backup mode, you have to use bombing tables like in F5 or Mig-21.

You want to use CCRP aka AUTO to make it easier for the targeting pod to track your target, for yourself to keep the target within targeting pods gimbal limits and to keep yourself out of the harms way, the whole point of laser guided bombs is that you don't need to dive bomb to hit the same postal code as your target, if anything (atmospheric conditions aside) the higher you go the better because bomb has more time and kinetic energy to maneuver

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr_Pavelheer said:

CCIP is what I think you consider a manual mode, it will display on the HUD targeting reticle (or reflected reticle) showing where it predicts the bomb would fall if it was released right now.

DTOS is from what I understand like Harriers point blank designation CCIP-to-CCRP, except it's a separate mode instead of just holding a button, you aim with HUD, press the button, it switches to CCRP and you know the rest.

DIR is an unassisted backup mode, you have to use bombing tables like in F5 or Mig-21.

You want to use CCRP aka AUTO to make it easier for the targeting pod to track your target, for yourself to keep the target within targeting pods gimbal limits and to keep yourself out of the harms way, the whole point of laser guided bombs is that you don't need to dive bomb to hit the same postal code as your target, if anything (atmospheric conditions aside) the higher you go the better because bomb has more time and kinetic energy to maneuver

thanks. so i tried CCIP as a manual release mode but don't think it works from straight and level. what I'm trying to do is lob a GBU-12 to get more distance and let the gliding feature do it's thing. this way you can release farther than CCRP allows. 

however I can't get the GBU-12 to release in any modes except when CCRP lets me. i tried the other modes from straight and level but it wouldn't come off the rails 🤷🏽‍♂️

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

however I can't get the GBU-12 to release in any modes except when CCRP lets me. i tried the other modes from straight and level but it wouldn't come off the rails 🤷🏽‍♂️

I think that's a bug. A dev can chime in here with the SAU restrictions, but for some reason AUTO doesn't allow you to loft/toss your bombs.

I figured DTOS would let you do that since, well, toss is in the name, but it also has the same <=0° pitch release restriction.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, antiload said:

The dropping of dumb bombs I find really tricky. I always have to dive even in auto (CCRP) mode & sometimes they just don't drop.

If it's a possible bug I hope it's looked at soon. 

provide a track file and post a topic in the bugs forum.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 6:19 PM, dresoccer4 said:

thanks. so i tried CCIP as a manual release mode but don't think it works from straight and level. what I'm trying to do is lob a GBU-12 to get more distance and let the gliding feature do it's thing. this way you can release farther than CCRP allows. 

however I can't get the GBU-12 to release in any modes except when CCRP lets me. i tried the other modes from straight and level but it wouldn't come off the rails

I´m not sure if I´m understanding what you are after here. CCIP needs to have the Impact Point visible, thus straight and level and some distance away would be hard to get I think. 

If you want more range go high and fast or loft them bombs.

Anway, CCIP using GBU-12´s does work (in a dive) as does tossing them.

52d_Sig_Pic3.png