Fresh out of factory/depot jets, please!

Kirk66

While I realize many like the "atmosphere" of a beat-up, scruffy, dirty scratched canopy and unreadable instrument panel cockpit, the reality is that most line jets (at least in the USAF) never get that nasty - because they are routinely rotated through depot maintenance where they are overhauled, straightened out, fixed, repainted, and have canopies and cockpit panels replaced. 

Most of the DCS modules have canopies that would have grounded the jets in real life - and NO self respecting crew chief would let anyone near his jet with a dirty, scratched canopy. Pilots and WSOs even had moleskin on their visor covers to keep from scratching the inside of the canopy (and Marines had their cool leather helmet covers).

Seriously! (And canopies can be replaced in the field, you know...)

So developers, could you please give us the option to select a "factory fresh" or "just out of depot" jet? Both external and internal? Please?

(not pointing elbows here, but the Tomcat is disgusting!)

I had the pleasure of dropping off and picking up several beautifully refurbished F-4Es from depot maintenance in Taiwan (late 70s) and from Hill AFB (80s). No dirty scratched canopies or unreadable panels on those jets! And they had yaw strings!!!

Vulture

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I also very much prefer the clean, new aircraft. The Tomcat is a great module, it would be even better if I could read what was in the cockpit.

• Like 3

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

1 hour ago, Exorcet said:

I also very much prefer the clean, new aircraft

I guess many do (me included). To me it's a matter of art direction, something akin to the flower arrangements and decoration at a restaurant. Unless it seriously impacts my ability to enjoy the food, I will not complain (too much), and if it really detracts that much from my experience, I'd consider not going there any more. There indeed are some cockpits that IMHO sport a  needlessly dilapidated chic, and would welcome less wear and tear. It hasn't come to the point where it prevents me from enjoying DCS, though. If DCS offered less weathered cockpit skins, there'd be no doubt which I would then choose. 

Edited by cfrag

5 hours ago, Kirk66 said:

not pointing elbows here, but the Tomcat is disgusting!

Tomcat is not USAF, and I heard the exact opposite stories about cockpit state after just a few weeks on the ocean from real pilot, just saying. You're of course free to wish for a brand new cockpit and aircraft - but it will be simulation of rather small part of it's life. HB once said that it's not going to happen after they estimated about 2 years of cockpit retexturing.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

5 hours ago, Kirk66 said:

not pointing elbows here, but the Tomcat is disgusting!

Well, what do you expect? Here's an actual, absolutely no fake, recently declassified picture that shows how pilots neglect their tomcats. Admittedly, they are Navy, I know, but still... Disgusting! So DCS is more realistic than you'd expect

image.png

🙂

• Like 1

What I don't understand, is that I assume all modules start out clean and fresh before they add any weathering. (Kind of what you would do with a model kit).
So it's beyond me why they don't include both.
Firdr time it did the cold start training in the Cat, I actually gave up because I just couldn't read the labels. I was forced to RTFM. which I don't prefer when I have a new toy.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

What I don't understand, is that I assume all modules start out clean and fresh before they add any weathering. (Kind of what you would do with a model kit).
So it's beyond me why they don't include both.
Firdr time it did the cold start training in the Cat, I actually gave up because I just couldn't read the labels. I was forced to RTFM. which I don't prefer when I have a new toy.

They look "clean" only before any texturing. And then they make textures. You don't make clean textures and then dirty up them - it's double work. And it's not only one image either. For every texture you have alphas, bump mapping, PBR, MIP maps, whatever...

In the first hour in the Cat I failed to start either. Not because of labels but because I didn't RTFM. Couldn't find the battery switch and had no idea the ground crew help is mandatory 🤣

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

They look "clean" only before any texturing. And then they make textures. You don't make clean textures and then dirty up them - it's double work. And it's not only one image either. For every texture you have alphas, bump mapping, PBR, MIP maps, whatever...
In the first hour in the Cat I failed to start either. Not because of labels but because I didn't RTFM. Couldn't find the battery switch and had no idea the ground crew help is mandatory
Really? I didn't know that. Hehe
Thanks for informing me.

Well, at least I trapped on the first try in both the Bug and the Cat, the Scooter taught me well.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, draconus said:

Tomcat is not USAF, and I heard the exact opposite stories about cockpit state after just a few weeks on the ocean from real pilot, just saying. You're of course free to wish for a brand new cockpit and aircraft - but it will be simulation of rather small part of it's life. HB once said that it's not going to happen after they estimated about 2 years of cockpit retexturing.

I would argue the opposite; that modelling the beat-up end of life condition actually simulating only a small part of the jet's life - the end of it- and that during most of it's operational career it would be well maintained and in much better condition. But maybe that's just my personal 10 years of experience in USAF F-4s speaking...I guess the Navy just has lower standards. Judging from the pictures of their rusting ships, that isn't too surprising... (relax, it's called interservice rivalry. Go listen to some Dos Gringos!)

Perhaps developers could put out a poll to prospective purchasers of a module to see what the actual user would like to have? Or even offer a payware option for a "clean" jet to cover the cost of extra development? I know I would definitely pay for a nicer Tomcat cockpit!

Vulture

• Like 1