Can't the gun compensate the movement of the helicopter?

dextor
Go to solution Solved by bradmick,

I don't get why my bursts land infront or behind the target even tho I use the laser to mesure the range. Can't the gun compensate for the movement of the helicopter like the KA-50 can? If you are in hover its fine but if in motion you can't hit a forest.

Edited by dextor

(Assuming here that you're sitting in the CPG seat) You're measuring the range with the laser. It doesn't really have much to do with 'aiming' the gun - that part is up to you.

The short answer to the title of your post is: no. You need to compensate for the lead, same as you would using guns in a fixed-wing dogfight.

Fire off a couple of rounds to see where the placement is, then adjust. I think with some practice it's fairly accurate for an area suppression system.

Edited by LooseSeal
correction

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

The gun is a bit of a disappointment if you are used to the gun in the Shark.  But, the Shark has a high velocity 30mm that is limited in traverse, so its a more stable, flatter shooting gun.  The gun on the Apache is a much lower velocity gun and its on a rotating, shaking, mount.  It is really an AREA weapon.  I think of it more as a grenade launcher than a gun.  It helps if you get in close especially if you are using the helmet as a sight.

System: Intel Core i9-9900KF @ 5 Ghz, Z-390 Gaming X, 64Gb DDR4-3200, EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3, Dedicated SSD, HP Reverb G2, Winwing Orion & F-16EX

DCS Modules: A-10C II,  A/V-8B NA, Bf-109 K4, P-51D, P-47D, F/A-18C, F-14 A/B, F-16 CM, F-86F, JF-17, KA-50 Black Shark 2, UH-1H, Mosquito, AH-64D Longbow 

Terrains & Tech:  Caucasus, Persian Gulf, Normandy, Syria, Nevada, The Channel, Combined Arms, WWII Assets, Supercarrier

The problem with the gun is that anything short of a direct hit doesn't seem to do any damage, so its use as an area weapon is very limited and not realistic. There are some videos on youtube of the gun being employed against ground troops, and it's effects, even when the shots are not super accurate are devastating. Meanwhile in DCS you can hit a few feet from a ground troop and he keeps shooting right back.

5 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

The problem with the gun is that anything short of a direct hit doesn't seem to do any damage, so its use as an area weapon is very limited and not realistic. There are some videos on youtube of the gun being employed against ground troops, and it's effects, even when the shots are not super accurate are devastating. Meanwhile in DCS you can hit a few feet from a ground troop and he keeps shooting right back.

Yup has been a problem in dcs since Blackshark beta,  all we can do and have been doing is waiting for the new damage model and more importantly better terminal effects 

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

14 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Yeah, that's been an issue ever since, but ED has plans to address it in the future:

Splash damage, or the damage effect from a warhead hitting nearby, it composed to two primary elements: the blast shockwave and fragmentation from the weapon’s casing. While the former is modeled, the latter is currently not (it is planned)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 hour ago, QuiGon said:

Yeah, that's been an issue ever since, but ED has plans to address it in the future:

If the blast shock wave is modeled, it isn’t modeled very well… again, you can land a rocket or a round right next to an infantry unit and they just keep firing away with laser precision. They aren’t stunned, dazed, knocked over, their aim isn’t effected, there really is zero impact on the unit unless you hit them with the munition. 

19 minutes ago, davidrbarnette said:

If the blast shock wave is modeled, it isn’t modeled very well… again, you can land a rocket or a round right next to an infantry unit and they just keep firing away with laser precision. They aren’t stunned, dazed, knocked over, their aim isn’t effected, there really is zero impact on the unit unless you hit them with the munition. 

That's not quite true, but the effects aren't very noticeable indeed. As described in the linked thread, you can see on the F10 map, that the health bar of an infantry unit will be reduced if explosive munition impacts close to it. Reduced health will also degrade the units performance. It won't shoot as precise anymore, it won't react as fast anymore, it won't move as fast anymore. These effects are usually not very noticable on the DCS battlefield, especially when it comes to small units like infantry, but they are there.
But yeah, these effects are still far from the effects that you would expect from real life.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg