[SOLVED] Ability to transfer multiple groups from one .miz-file to another .miz-file

Chapelmaggot

First of all, how did I stumble upon this problem?

Well, it all started when I was browsing the User Files section for some .miz-files with historically accurate unit placement for a WW2 mission on The Channel Map. Now, after some searching, I stumbled upon 2 very nicely made missions by @bell_rj which featured a) realistic air defense placement for German Luftwaffe airfields in France and b) realistic air defense placement for the English coast (Dover and the like).

The following images show these two missions:

Mission a) The Channel Luftwaffe Airfield defences v0.1 (by @bell_rj)

Luftwaffe Temp.jpg Mission Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313435/

Mission b) Dover defences (The Channel Map) v0.2 (by @bell_rj)

Dover Temp.jpg Mission Link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313328/

Now, here's my problem...

These two .miz-files are VERY nicely made and they both provide a very immersive and captivating experience on their own, but there seems to be no apparent or non-tedious way of merging them together. I would love to have realistic air defense placement on both the blue and the red side of the map. Yes, I could copy each and every individual group from one mission to another, or I could go open up Notepad and "manually" copy data from one mission to another, but both of these options are absolutely HORRIBLE in reality. There are (probably - I haven't checked) a hundred individual groups scattered around Dover in Mission b), which would make copying each and every one of them a huge pain...

Imagine this sequence of steps:

*Load into Mission a)* --> *Copy Group 1* --> *Load into Mission b)* --> *Paste Group 1* --> ...

Now repeat that for (probably) 100+ groups. Yeah... That is literally going to take hours upon hours of copying, loading and pasting.

I hope you can all understand what my problem is. As of right now, I am not aware of a way to copy a large amount of groups/units from one .miz-file to another... Or at least, there isn't a convenient and user-friendly way to do this, which has been bugging me for quite a while now. The example I've given here is only one of many times that I've come across this problem. I've mostly experienced this while creating my own missions, since I'm not usually one to download .miz-files made by other people. In this example it is a bit different, but that doesn't change the point I'm trying to make.

What would solve this problem?

I'm fairly certain that other people, especially other avid mission creators, have come across this problem as well, and I am also fairly certain that we would all wish for a simpler, more convenient and more user-friendly way to copy a multitude of groups and units from one mission to another. Transferring a single group from Mission a) to Mission b) is possible, but transferring two or more isn't.

All I wish for is to be able to select multiple groups at once - not by tediously Shift-clicking each and every single one scattered across the map - in the Unit List or simply to press Ctrl+A to select all units currently in the mission. A selection tool similar to that in Windows Explorer (holding left-click and dragging a box over the files you want to select) would also be a game-changing addition, if implemented in the DCS Mission Editor in the realm of unit-/group selection.

Finally...

I want to thank you very much for reading this hyper-specific post and I hope to hear from other people with a) similar issues, or b) a solution to this problem that I wasn't aware of (or was simply too unintelligent to find😄).

Fly safe!

Chap

Edited by Chapelmaggot
The problem has been solved, so I added [SOLVED] to the title.
  • Like 1

Just now, silverdevil said:

@Chapelmaggot i merely dabble in ME but i found recently than one can save templates. and then create missions based on these templates. maybe?

Yes, templates are a very good tool in the Mission Editor, but as far as I know, they can only be created with a single group of units. And even if there was the option to create a template with multiple groups, there still isn't a way to select these different groups "comfortably".

I hope there isn't an obvious overlook here on my part. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though!

i downloaded one from user files that had loads of stuff going on at an airbase. search for "kheimeimim airbase template" only red units were present. all i had to do was add blue. and got waxed lol.

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

In ME, on the top, edit -> save as static template or whatever it is called. Then in the new mission press load from static template or similar.

1 minute ago, Chapelmaggot said:

How would I go about doing this, if you don't mind me asking?

5 minutes ago, razo+r said:

In ME, on the top, edit -> save as static template or whatever it is called. Then in the new mission press load from static template or similar.

Alright, thank you very much! It seems there was, in fact, a massive oversight on my part😄

Have a great day and fly safe!

Chap

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

All placed units will appear (but their waypoints will be deleted)

Are you sure?  On my static templates I have not noticed any loss in waypoints (tough I have only tested it with ground and naval units, not aircrafts).

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

When I used this feature they did lose their waypoints, but that was 1) about 8 months ago and 2) I think (not 100% sure) I used it to save the progress of a corrupted mission.

Maybe they fixed it in the meantime or it was my attempt to save hours of mission creation or something else. But good to see that it is not the case (anymore)

6 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Are you sure?  On my static templates I have not noticed any loss in waypoints (tough I have only tested it with ground and naval units, not aircrafts).

• Chapelmaggot changed the title to [SOLVED] Ability to transfer multiple groups from one .miz-file to another .miz-file