BVR problems of accuracy

RafaPolit

Good afternoon friends!

I am having issues with BVR in the F-14.  I have done the Marianas BVR - Hunting the Jeff mission about 30 times.

I turn NW, I either stay at Angels 30 or climb to Angels 40 or 45 (no difference in the outcome).  When I get TWS track on the enemies, I shoot the Phoenixes at around 60 miles (have done so further away, I have done so at 40 and even less).  Of the 4 bogies, I hit usually 1, never more, sometimes none.  This is not in STT, I get the timers on each foe correctly, they are, in theory, being targeted.

Obviously, I have my wingman next to me.  If I instruct HIM to fire, co-alt, co-speed with me, he calls the fox threes one at a time and, like an ace, "Splash 1", "Splash 1", "Splash 1", "Splash 1".  He gets all 4 with very high consistency.  

What am I doing wrong?  Is it just that "human fired" AIM-54s are less precise than AI Phoenixes?

It's good to cooperate with them, but it would be great to get at least one foe myself!

Thanks in advance,

Rafa.

I'm Dragon in the Multiplayer servers.

Without something like a tacview or video it’s hard to diagnose.

If the missiles are all going active and timing out as expected, I can think of three options.

1.  You’re getting unlucky with your chaff dice rolls
  2.  The Jeff’s are maneuvering such that they’re bleeding your missiles of speed to be point they can’t maneuver to intercept
  3.  The you’re getting screwed by by guidance algorithm. (Missiles passing within 200 feet without exploding)

options 1 & 3 have no solution besides faith and prayer. Option 2 can be ameliorated by shooting a bit  closer

The AI's radar is slightly better than ours simply because it doesn't suffer from a number of the soft factors we have to deal with. To my knowledge the AI doesn't have to deal with the notch, range resolution, G limitations, etc. They are however using the same missile we do. If you didn't run into any issues where the track was extrapolated (had an X over the HAFU symbol), then there shouldn't be any real difference besides luck

Try changing the expected target size to Large and try again. I think having the 54 go active further from the targets usually works better against the AI. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

I won’t launch on fighter aircraft with phoenix until 45 to 50 nm with the mk 60 motor and will wait till 40 to 35 if it’s the smaller motor. Bombers have at it 80nm and in with TWS.

These rules get me usually 3 in that mission. 

To the OP, check out this Tacview file. It's the F-14A equivalent of the same mission, with the bandits being J-11's instead of JF-17. You may find some aspects of it useful. This was done on the first try after more then a month of DCS hiatus. Hope it helps, cheers! 

Tacview-20220416-213251-DCS-F-14A_IA_Marianas_BVR_JA11.zip.acmi

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache