Has anyone pre-ordered the new Trackhat sensor?

I've been using my Trackhat for about 3 years now to replace my broken TrackIR, and it's been great, but I would really love the idea of having bright sunshine in the room while I use it.  It seems like my system always has to be opposite a large window so the camera is facing directly into it.  Here's what I'm referring to:

https://www.trackhat.org/trackhatsensor

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

• 1 month later...

Anyone?  They've shipped.  Somebody must have one?

"I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer." - Michael Bluth

• 3 weeks later...

Yup,received one today.

Worse experience from my previous setup with the PS3 camera. Got disappointed and went to their FB page, the only place you can actually get any sort of info.

Apparently, they have issues getting their products to work together, which is comical at best.

If it's software related, i am praying to every god and deity opentrack pick this up, because the "track hat" version of it is just laughable.

• Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 3:57 AM, Tenshi said:

Yup,received one today.

Worse experience from my previous setup with the PS3 camera. Got disappointed and went to their FB page, the only place you can actually get any sort of info.

Apparently, they have issues getting their products to work together, which is comical at best.

If it's software related, i am praying to every god and deity opentrack pick this up, because the "track hat" version of it is just laughable.

Interesting, do you mean it doesn't work with your existing Trackhat hardware?  How old is yours?  Wired or wireless?  Yes, this is the worst thing about them, the website is as$.  I didn't pre-order as my current Trackhat (clip) works fine.  I imagine it will take them a while to get the bugs out, as indicated on the last few posts on the FB page.  It looks like they are offering a 50% discount if you're willing to wait (for the bugs to be fixed), or a full refund.

15 hours ago, aleader said:

Interesting, do you mean it doesn't work with your existing Trackhat hardware?  How old is yours?  Wired or wireless?  Yes, this is the worst thing about them, the website is as$.  I didn't pre-order as my current Trackhat (clip) works fine.  I imagine it will take them a while to get the bugs out, as indicated on the last few posts on the FB page.  It looks like they are offering a 50% discount if you're willing to wait (for the bugs to be fixed), or a full refund.

Had the PS3 cam/Track hat clip plus (wireless) for over a year now.

The clip did have quality issues (leds covered in hard gule) but never had game breaking problems.Found my optimal curves,had the cam working at 75hz and i was golden.

I thought the 200hz+tracking under any light condition would be great,so i have pre-ordered the tracker around March...as well as a new wireless clip(v1.2) in order to have the best possible experience.

Got the clip first, which had better build quality,bigger leds,better performance (opentrack was picking +1~2px on every led).So far,so good.

After a week i also received the tracker. After tinkering with exposure settings i ended up with 20px on the leds. Anything bigger than that would lead to point merge and anything less to poor tracking.The sweet spot is around 30.Second problem i have encountered, was choppy output.The tracker or the software is picking point flacuations of 2px and even with a perfectly steady head,the tracker will throw your aim off randomly. It just kills the experience.As a contrast,the flacuations picked up from a Ps3 cam+point track filter are 10 times less!

So overall,we are talking about a new worse performing product, trying to replace a perfectly working old one.

Finally the 50% discount or full refund upon sending the tracker back is a joke,even more so if you have to pay import fees or exorbitant postage.

So all in all,if you are thinking of upgrading your head tracking set-up,you might as well go for Track ir5 and have less drama.

Edited by Tenshi

On 6/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, Tenshi said:

Had the PS3 cam/Track hat clip plus (wireless) for over a year now.

The clip did have quality issues (leds covered in hard gule) but never had game breaking problems.Found my optimal curves,had the cam working at 75hz and i was golden.

I thought the 200hz+tracking under any light condition would be great,so i have pre-ordered the tracker around March...as well as a new wireless clip(v1.2) in order to have the best possible experience.

Got the clip first, which had better build quality,bigger leds,better performance (opentrack was picking +1~2px on every led).So far,so good.

After a week i also received the tracker. After tinkering with exposure settings i ended up with 20px on the leds. Anything bigger than that would lead to point merge and anything less to poor tracking.The sweet spot is around 30.Second problem i have encountered, was choppy output.The tracker or the software is picking point flacuations of 2px and even with a perfectly steady head,the tracker will throw your aim off randomly. It just kills the experience.As a contrast,the flacuations picked up from a Ps3 cam+point track filter are 10 times less!

So overall,we are talking about a new worse performing product, trying to replace a perfectly working old one.

Finally the 50% discount or full refund upon sending the tracker back is a joke,even more so if you have to pay import fees or exorbitant postage.

So all in all,if you are thinking of upgrading your head tracking set-up,you might as well go for Track ir5 and have less drama.

Sounds like they didn't do much testing before shipping it.  That's always a joke when they make you pay to ship it back.  Why would they make you send it back to give you a 50% discount?  On a new one that they then send for free?  Why not just give all pre-orders a 50% discount as a sign of good faith, especially when they're trying to promote a new product?!  Some companies just don't get it.  Hopefully it gets fixed and you aren't left with a broken product. 

As I said above, I've had TrackIR 5 before, but it's very flimsy (the Trackclip Pro) and it broke when I was swatting a mosquito.  My Trackhat works fine, so I guess I'll just keep it for now and see if they fix the problems before I think about ordering another one.  Thanks for the reply.

EDIT:  It seems there is no requirement to ship it back to get the 50% off, which makes sense, so if I were you or had received it and it doesn't work properly, I'd take the 50% discount and shelve it until they get the bugs out.

Edited by aleader
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my sensor v2 today. So far not impressed

I use a Trackclip pro with track IR5 and was very happy with both.

I was hoping this would work well and I wouldn't have to charge the clip up.

Frustrtaing when headtracking runs out of juice on a long flight and I hate wiring around my head.

Tracking is jerky and much less precise than track IR5. I have tried all the options to improve this with no joy

Maybe because it only tracks at 60Hz compared with 120Hz for Track IR5

I won't be using it for now, not sure how the "machine learning" might help with prolonged use?

• 9 months later...
On 2/3/2023 at 5:18 PM, Christopher Scott said:

Sorry I meant current setup is Trackhat clip + with Track IR5

Are you still using the Sensor V2?  The scant reviews that I can find as of today seem to really like it after the software updates.  I really like the idea of having zero cables and not having to wear my headset all the time.  I also like that it still costs less than half what a new TrackIR would cost me (I won't be giving them any more of my cash), and less than 1/3 of what a Tobii eye tracker would cost.  Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

No, I returned it for a refund quite early after the last post so I can't say whether the software update made any difference.

I also tried the Tobii 5 eye tracker (also tracks your head) same issue, not precise or stable enough.

Maybe I have the wrong shaped head!

I went back to track IR with a rechargeable Trackclip attached to wireless headphones. No wires but still have to use a headset