Just finished adding VIRPIL's full catalog to my driving sim rig!

haaaake

VQ2clAu.jpeg

TQM04By.jpeg

UUYE4qe.jpeg

4mDIpM4.jpeg

Finally finished transforming my driving sim rig to driving AND flight! Super happy with this setup it took me quite a lot of research and time to get everything just right. I managed to fit almost the entire VIRPIL catalog onto my rig after some very careful planning and measuring.

Here is an Imgur post with full details for each photo. As well as more photos of the details: https://imgur.com/a/XefozF9

Here is a list of all the hardware:

RIG

-SimLab TR1 rig, with additional parts from SimLab and a few custom parts. The rig is only 500mm wide so very easy to put in smaller spaces. A bit wider with the HOTAS stuff mounted of course

-OEM Honda S2000 seat (I have a highly modified S2000 that has Recaro seats so used this extra OEM seat. it's a great balance of comfort without getting in the way of flight sim stuff. Not easy to get your hands on so not really recommended unless you already have an extra laying around haha.

-SimLab keyboard tray mount

-SimLab mouse pad (modified to use countersunk mounting bolts)

-SimLab shifter mount w/Fanatec shifter side mount

-SimLab extra mounting points (2x) for mounting HOTAS on each side of seat

-SimLab VESA mount to mount helicopter collective

-SimLab TM Warthog stick and throttle mount, modified to mount VIRPIL hardware

-Blue mic arm with Shure MV7X mounted to additional 4040 profile on side mount

DRIVING

-Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel (DD1 for Playstation/PC)

-Fanatec Podium Endurance Module

-Fanatec 320mm Alcantara wheel

-Fanatec Clubsport shifter, mounted to shifter mount with SimLab Fanatec side mount

-Fanatec handbrake mounted to shifter

-Fanatec CSL Elite pedals modified with custom Tohatsu 25mm spring

FLIGHT

-VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base, universal base mount

-VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base

-VIRPIL 200mm flight stick extension

-VIRPIL VPC Constellation ALPHA-R grip

-VIRPIL VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

-VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base

-VIRPIL VPC Hawk-60 Collective Grip

-VIRPIL VPC ACE Torq Pedals

I have been a VERY long time DCS watcher but finally decided to also become a full DCS enjoyer. Got super excited when they released the Apache. I have started off learning the A-10C II and loving every minute of it. Looking forward to learning to fly all the Warbirds, helicopters, everything. I love always having a new aircraft to learn all the small details it has been an absolute blast. I have been able to experience a lot of really cool flight simulators when I was growing up, even sitting in an F-16 cockpit at Oshcosh when I was 12 years old.

My first ever flight sim I ever played was F-22 Lightning II from 1996. And had the chance to experience high end flight simulators at various airshows as I was growing up. But never had the chance to have my own flight sim setup at home until now. So yes I may have went a little overboard but who's gonna stop me?

If anyone has any questions happy to go over details. Make sure to checkout the Imgur link it has captions for each photo and way more photos of the details.

Edited by haaaake
  • Like 3

Question for people here that have sat in some modern fighter aircraft like the A-10C, F-15, F-18 etc. I am thinking my throttle is maybe mounted a little too high up? This is a pretty good balance of comfort and still being able to fit my collective but I think I could actually mount it a bit lower without compromising anything. Any thoughts on that? I guess the ideal would be to have your elbow at close to 90 degrees as possible right?

My side stick mounting height is pretty much perfect as is I think.

Edited by haaaake

that's really awesome! Would you mind sharing a few more pictures of the frame itself? I have something very similar but using a bespoke desk that I am thinking of just get rid of!

Kaby Lake @ 4.6Ghz - Gigabyte Z170-D3H - 16Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 OC - Samsung EVO 250Gb SSD - Seagate 1 Tb HDD - HTC Vive - Rift CV1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, AstroEma said:

that's really awesome! Would you mind sharing a few more pictures of the frame itself? I have something very similar but using a bespoke desk that I am thinking of just get rid of!

https://imgur.com/a/XefozF9

Check the Imgur link here more photos posted there with more details.

I am going to lower the throttle down a bit to make it a little more accurate to most modern fighter cockpits, was sitting a little high. It seems like most cockpits have the base of the throttle sitting right around the base seat height. Lowering the throttle also provides some extra clearance for the collective grip so win win.

I also ordered some additional stick extensions I think raising the stick another 75-100mm will have it sitting just perfect.

Edited by haaaake

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2022 at 8:22 PM, haaaake said:

-Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel (DD1 for Playstation/PC)

I've been looking at this recently at my T500RS is dying of old age (and abuse 😛 ); Fanatec say "This product is not compatible with any PlayStation® console and cannot be upgraded to achieve compatibility." on https://fanatec.com/eu-en/racing-wheels-direct-drive-bases/direct-drive-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1 . Are you using a Drive Hub or similar, or is there something I'm missing?

Edited by actually_fred

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.