Setting up a monitor to record a VR session

Hammer1-1

Since track files get corrupted and inaccurate after only a few minutes, recording seems to need to be done on the fly. Id like to know if its possible to set a monitor up to record in a specific format (widescreen) while playing in VR. Right now it seems like its only doable with a secondary observer in external views, but I would like to think a second monitor can be set up to record in an F key camera view while in VR. Since I switched over to OpenXR, cant use OBS or Streamlabs since it requires SteamVR to render, but even still it only renders what you see in VR.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

20 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Since track files get corrupted and inaccurate after only a few minutes, recording seems to need to be done on the fly. Id like to know if its possible to set a monitor up to record in a specific format (widescreen) while playing in VR. Right now it seems like its only doable with a secondary observer in external views, but I would like to think a second monitor can be set up to record in an F key camera view while in VR. Since I switched over to OpenXR, cant use OBS or Streamlabs since it requires SteamVR to render, but even still it only renders what you see in VR.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Are you talking about recording the cockpit view or external view while you're in VR?  I don't know there's a way to do the latter, but the former you can still do in Open XR.  Put your mirror on a 4K monitor, or (if you have Nvidia drivers) make your desktop resolution virtual 4k.  Then use OBS studio to record off the game window (no plugin required), crop the output like you want and Bob's your uncle.

The OC-ACC compositor comes with some OBS plugins, but when you enable it and use the OpenXR Toolkit, all 3 together produce a memory leak for me and I've not been able to use them, but the plugin would really only be helpful for a game that doesn't have a mirror that comes out at 4K, which DCS thankfully does.

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Are you talking about recording the cockpit view or external view while you're in VR?  I don't know there's a way to do the latter, but the former you can still do in Open XR.  Put your mirror on a 4K monitor, or (if you have Nvidia drivers) make your desktop resolution virtual 4k.  Then use OBS studio to record off the game window (no plugin required), crop the output like you want and Bob's your uncle.

The OC-ACC compositor comes with some OBS plugins, but when you enable it and use the OpenXR Toolkit, all 3 together produce a memory leak for me and I've not been able to use them, but the plugin would really only be helpful for a game that doesn't have a mirror that comes out at 4K, which DCS thankfully does.

Im referring to recording something OTHER than cockpit view...or better yet, anything other than a VR cockpit view.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 4/13/2022 at 6:48 AM, Hammer1-1 said:

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Apparently, the track files are OK if you play in MP on a DEDICATED server. You need to get the dedicated server track. It will allow you to replay and record external views footages.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

2 minutes ago, jojo said:

Apparently, the track files are OK if you play in MP on a DEDICATED server. You need to get the dedicated server track. It will allow you to replay and record external views footages.

the track files are ok so long as you have the server track file. For the most part I play SP and Im mostly interested in recording for videos...

My wallpaper and skins

Just now, Hammer1-1 said:

the track files are ok so long as you have the server track file. For the most part I play SP and Im mostly interested in recording for videos...

You can set up a dedicated server on a lap top. You don't need powerful GPU to run server, it doesn't run graphics at all.

Setting up a dedicated server is free.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

a secondary computer is something I dont have. I agree with you, but I would think just being able to set up a second window for views only would be an alternative.

My wallpaper and skins

7 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

a secondary computer is something I dont have. I agree with you, but I would think just being able to set up a second window for views only would be an alternative.

you can run the dedicated server on the same machine where you play. In some instances it offers an increased performance since the CPU load is split between 2 or more cores, i.e. core1 for server and core2 for client, vs. a single core processing everything in SP. Give it a try, it's definitely a plus.