Antenna Elevation

john4pap

Is it normal that when the antenna elevation is centered the search area shown on the screen is 100k feet and more? I have to get it all the way down to get anything rational, that is something like 1 to 29 thousand feet. At the moment, I'm flying at 7000, the cursor is set to 21 miles and the search area while the antenna is centered is 98 to 117 thousand feet.

This was it. I got into the bad habit of never checking altitude for INS alignment back when the initial altitude was always already set correctly. This should also explain why I couldn't see the cross on the HUD for some waypoints when approaching them. Many thanks!

5 hours ago, myHelljumper said:

Hi,

You must have not set your altitude correctly when doing your INS alignment.

The default BUT altitude is 99999 feet and the radar uses the altitude from the INS to compute the antenna search altitudes.

I also got bitten by this issue and it took me half of forever to understand the cause. (yes call me lazy, I used to skip setting the ALT value before alignment). Did the default altitude change from zero to 99999 at some point ? Or maybe in the past the radar used to read the altitude from the altimeter ?

Anyways, that seems a bit strange to use the INS to feed the altitude to the radar, is that the same on other airplanes ? I always thought they used data from the altimeter...

• 4 months later...