Engine sluggish.

Gunfreak

I have that huge winwing tarus throttle. It gives a lot off fine control.

But even with that on the F16, doing fine controls when AAR etc. it's really hard getting the sweets spot. Either to fast or to slow. The engine responds much slower then the F18 engine. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

12 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

there is no perfect setting for throttle during AAR. you will have to adjust it constantly, especially considering the weight you gain by simply taking on fuel. 

But that has nothing to do with sluggish engine, you have to constantly adjust it in the F18t too. But the F18 engines aren't sluggish, so it's much much easier. 

33 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

I find the engine to be quite responsive to even small inputs tbh

If I put the engine forward, nothing happens, more noise, but any higher speed.  I put it more forward, still nothing happens, I put it even more forward.  Suddenly it shoots up 8knots.

In the F18, I put it a little forward and it goes up 1-2 knots almost instantly. 

30 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

If I put the engine forward, nothing happens, more noise, but any higher speed.  I put it more forward, still nothing happens, I put it even more forward.  Suddenly it shoots up 8knots.

In the F18, I put it a little forward and it goes up 1-2 knots almost instantly. 

do you use curves on the throttle?

cuz if i AAR and sneeze on my throttle, i gain speed instantly, so i have to take the power out instantly again when tanking. that's with full linear throttle axis settings

44 minutes ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

do you use curves on the throttle?

cuz if i AAR and sneeze on my throttle, i gain speed instantly, so i have to take the power out instantly again when tanking. that's with full linear throttle axis settings

I shouldn't need curves, as I said the tarus throttle is giant. 

20210722_150943.jpg

I don't find it particularly sluggish at proper aar speed (315 kn), as the power setting is high enough.  Part of the issue is the single engine nature of the viper, which is why it isn't as sensitive to throttle inputs as the twin-engine hornet.  I too find that I need a bit more physical throttle to produce as rapid a speed change as the hornet, but you don't necessarily want that when you're refueling.  As others have said, practice, practice, practice.  With more experience, you'll learn to anticipate throttle changes.  Also, zooming out a bit helps so you can see position/closure changes with your peripheral vision.  As for other possible reasons, what speed/altitude are you trying to refuel at and what stores do you have?

• Like 1