PDLT Questions

Topper81

What is the point of this feature?

Is it just to select an PDLT and see it on the HUD / Helmet?

Will it be possible to command the FCR to aquire a STT from a PDLT?
Will it be possible to fire an AIM120 to a PDLT without STT? (Should be possible technicaly because the AIM-120 is steered anyway by a kind of "datalink" till it goes pitbull)
Will it be possible to command the wingman to engage my PDLT?

Edited by Topper81

1 hour ago, Topper81 said:

Will it be possible to fire an AIM120 to a PDLT without STT? (Should be possible technicaly because the AIM-120 is steered anyway by a kind of "datalink" till it goes pitbull)

"What's going to be cool is TGP in AA mode. You HSD SOI a L16 track as PDLT. Slave TGP PDLT and track. Follow the octogon radar silent until in firing position. DGFT, ACM NO RAD, TMS right to slave ACM to TGP track. Lock and fire within two seconds of radar emission from NEZ and immediately back into silent. It's like submarine warfare."

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

11 hours ago, Topper81 said:

Yup, pretty much. 

No, I do not believe so, not directly. You can always select the target on the FCR page, or point an ACM mode at the icon. 

No. The AIM-120C does not support network guidance, it needs to receive mid-course updates from the launching aircraft's radar. Network guidance is an AIM-120D capability, which we do not have in DCS.

Who knows? Maybe someday when ED gets around to updating the wingman commands. Though, if you're going to command your wingman to attack a datalink target, PDLT isn't really the way to do it. You can directly transmit targeting instructions to a wingman over L16.

You guys talking about slaving sensors to a datalink track act like datalink is able to generate target accurate coordinates in 4 dimensions. It's only as good (and probably not even then) as what's feeding the sensor. So if AWACS is generating the track, do you really think your FCR or TGP is going to be able to snap to a moving airborne contact? Now your wingman who is transmitting out their own data.... That's going to be better. So,

The greatest utility for this tool is not offensive, but to keep SA on your wingmen when in sensor formation. It basically turns your 5nm line abreast formation into a visual formation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

This will probably answer most of your questions. Broadly, i will try to cover all in the thread up till now

1. FCR going STT through PDLT - Yes, Take FCR cursor on t and do TMS Fwd. Remember a single target can't be a PDLT and FCR Target at the same time. So as soon as you command FCR lock, PDLT will be lost.

2. AMRAAM through PDLT - No, 120C needs FCR lock.

3. Wingman to engage PDLT - Only if he targets him with his FCR
Remember, PDLT is a Link 16 function and can't be replaced with scenarios which needs FCR targeting.

4. PDLT lost case - Some extrapolation time i suppose will be there. But if situation gets prolonged (say around 10-15 seconds) PDLT will be lost. it will not ideally be reacquired once the contact come up again rather to be done manually again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gattling said:

This will probably answer most of your questions. Broadly, i will try to cover all in the thread up till now

1. FCR going STT through PDLT - Yes, Take FCR cursor on t and do TMS Fwd. Remember a single target can't be a PDLT and FCR Target at the same time. So as soon as you command FCR lock, PDLT will be lost.

2. AMRAAM through PDLT - No, 120C needs FCR lock.

3. Wingman to engage PDLT - Only if he targets him with his FCR
Remember, PDLT is a Link 16 function and can't be replaced with scenarios which needs FCR targeting.

4. PDLT lost case - Some extrapolation time i suppose will be there. But if situation gets prolonged (say around 10-15 seconds) PDLT will be lost. it will not ideally be reacquired once the contact come up again rather to be done manually again.

The video speaks about the dashed Target Locator Line as well, which is quite a significant feature to be implemented. Since it's very similar to the FCR target locator line, it should be relatively easy to implement.

• Like 2

• ED Team

TLL and TLA are being updated for PDLT, FCR and TGP

thanks

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 3 weeks later...

So, how has everyone's experience with PTLD been? I have limited time to try it, but in a simple 'Start In Air' Mission I made, the octagon was rarely anywhere close to being accurately aligned with the contact friendlies and foes. It was sometimes just stuck in the same part of the sky. Maybe still heavily WIP?

12 hours ago, 104th_Crunch said:

So, how has everyone's experience with PTLD been? I have limited time to try it, but in a simple 'Start In Air' Mission I made, the octagon was rarely anywhere close to being accurately aligned with the contact friendlies and foes. It was sometimes just stuck in the same part of the sky. Maybe still heavily WIP?

It will be great (once its working correctly) to keep an eye of a single aircraft. I would mainly use it to bug my flight lead or section lead. However at the current implementation, it remains on, and frozen on the hud when its turned off. - so if you dare to use it, dont touch it. 😛

• Like 1

It works great to keep track of your wingman, unless you lock them up with the FCR, then it freezes their PDLT position, but i think there's already a bug report on that. I used it th other day in a 4 ship tactical formation flight and it was sweet.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dances, PhD

Jet Hobo

https://v65th.wordpress.com/

1 hour ago, Fulgrim said:

How do I unselect my PDLT? Not replacing it with another plane, just getting rid of it completely. Thanks. 

TMS DOWN will unselect PDLT, but the HUD que line stays it is a bug and it has been reported.

• Thanks 2