Varjo Aero - DCS screen problem

Darpa

On Sunday my Aero gave me a warning message that it was overheating (yikes). I shut it down immediately and left it for many hours. When I tried it later the thing was dead as a doornail. Long story short I contacted support (twice) and they have never acknowledged my support requests and never have gotten back to me. I finally found a note under “Misc” on their site that said the unit must be physically unplugged after this happens. So I did and it now seems to work again… except my DCS is all screwed up (other sims work fine).

When I started DCS I noticed that on my 2D monitor there are now 2 images, one on top of the other, with what looks like a fold in the middle of each (I have always just had one image before).  The next thing that happened is that when DCS came up the WMR Debug window automatically opened. I shut DCS down and tried it again and the same thing happened. I went into the sim and the picture in the game is not right. It looks like the resolution has dropped substantially and there are blurred horizontal lines running across the screen. I have no idea what is happening. I tried the "Swap Eye" setting in the WMR screen but that did nothing. I should also note that this was the first time I tried DCS after the overheating happened and DCS did do an update to the latest stable version. I do not see anyone else on the forums talking about anything like this so I am assuming this is not a stable DCS update issue but I could be wrong. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to try? I have changed no other settings in the game and when I looked all settings look the same as before. My VR settings in the Varjo Base software are all the same also - nothing has changed. Thanks for any help or advice.

Update: it is not 2 screen images I see on the 2D monitor it is 4 (2 top and 2 bottom and they do not look aligned). On closer look this may well be an update issue related to the new stable release (not an overheating Aero side-effect). I note that the application is now making a Varjo Aero.lua in the Saved Games\DCS folder and not a hedi.lua as it used to when I use the WMR Debug tool so something has changed in regards to the Aero.

Edited by Darpa
Update

Your Aero may be using Varjo’s OpenVR mode bypassing Steam with the updated DCS app which currently has a problem.  In other words, new DCS app tries direct OpenVR with the Aero which should eliminate Steam’s overhead but it is not working correctly as it’s trying to use extra screens that are present in Varjo’s other headsets that have them.  You might want to force DCS to run in SteamVR’s OpenVR mode for now by adding “—force_steam_vr” to the DCS.exe launch option, or better yet try OpenXR (which still needs the SteamVR launch option), plenty of how to discussions in the VR threads.

Edited by Supmua
  • Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Thanks for your help Supmua... but nothing seemed to change. I hope it is not something dumb I am doing.

I created a new shortcut and in it I set the target to: "C:\Games\DCS World\bin\DCS.exe" --force_steam_vr

(I made sure to include a space and then 2 dashes)

The game runs but I do not see steamvr load and everything still looks screwed up. I then started steamvr myself before launching DCS but that did nothing either.

If you still see 4 screens in the mirror and no SteamVR toolbar then you're not running DCS through Steam but instead direct OpenVR via the Varjo's runtime.  Unfortunately I don't use the stable version so not sure how it is supposed to behave.

Have you try to reset the Varjo headset in the Base app?  Also make sure OpenVR setting in there is OFF because you want to use the Steam version instead.  Might as well run DCS repair then try again.  If it still doesn't work I would check with their discord channel for tech support.  Or you could try to switch to the beta version instead.

Edited by Supmua

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

short of reinstalling everything, see if you can get DCS running with OpenXR instead of OpenVR. My suggestion here is not fixing your current problem, but rather reconfigure the current corrupted config to try OpenXR. Check this topic out, it's a pretty simple config, however it needs a 3rd party build of the openVR 'interceptor' to funnel it in to OpenXR framework.

You need to use the DCS swap eye tool again, swap both eyes top and bottom and be sure and click on save.

You should have a hedy.lua file in your DCS saved games, delete that file then run the debug tool again.

This is why you are only seeing it in DCS. Sometimes that file can get corrupt or overwritten.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The OpenXR mod only intercepts SteamVR's OpenVR, so if he can't get SteamVR going in the first place I do not think it is going to work.  Evidence to support this?  You need to force SteamVR in command line for OpenXR to work on the Varjo device.

2 minutes ago, Supmua said:

The OpenXR mod only intercepts SteamVR's OpenVR, so if he can't get SteamVR going in the first place I do not think it is going to work.  Evidence to support this?  You need to force SteamVR in command line for OpenXR to work on the Varjo device.

I did not understand he was running Open XR Mod.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I had a similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago, deleting the hedy.lua and running the debug tool again to swap top bottom of both lenses fixed me up.

Don B

Yeah I experienced this issue as well that's why I'm using force SteamVR now.  If they get this fixed then I might not even need OpenXR since I should be able to get better fps just by bypassing Steam's overhead.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses and I am off to try some of these things now. I have tried, as Supmua suggested in his earlier post, to reset the Aero and then turn off OpenVR. Neither of these proved successful (but thank you - all logical things). I am not using the Open XR mod so I will try Don's suggestion next. I am not as technically fluent or as capable as most of you so I am going to try the simpler stuff first. I would just love to get it running in SteamVR again first and then later I can look into the OpenXR stuff (given that I get it working that is).

• Like 2

OK... I tried using the swap eye tool again. I swapped and saved - it no longer creates a hedy.lua but instead creates a Varjo Aero.lua. I tried with and without this file and it still does not start steamvr and I still get the 4 screens. I will now try some of the other suggestions. Thanks all again

Good luck, I hope it's not a hardware problem.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Darpa said:

OK... I tried using the swap eye tool again. I swapped and saved - it no longer creates a hedy.lua but instead creates a Varjo Aero.lua. I tried with and without this file and it still does not start steamvr and I still get the 4 screens. I will now try some of the other suggestions. Thanks all again

Very odd, especially as it is only in DCS it is not working correctly. Have you tried a Repair of DCS?

Don B

Peachmonkey thank you for pointing me to that thread. 

1) I saw that my entry of  --force_steam_vr  should be --force_steam_VR   (caps for the VR)

It now loads steamVR successfully. The 4 screens are gone and the picture quality is good again.  

2) However it is still unusable given side effects that this caused. The camera view does not seem to center properly, the camera seems now attached to my head as it moves... and the fish-eye distortion is back again big time (it had almost vanished entirely with the experimental distortion feature they introduced in the last version of the Base software). So 1 step forward and 1 step back. 

I will continue re-reading the thread peachmonkey suggested to see if there are any other clues. Does what I am describing sound familiar to anyone?

Update: OK... now Don's solution to swap eyes DOES work after I got the steamVR thing working again and I am back to normal (so much for using the stable version). Thanks for everyone's help as I very much appreciate it. I must admit after having the Aero overheat and brick on me, having their support ignore all my support requests and now having this issue with DCS and am, for the first time, having my concerns about this headset.

Edited by Darpa
Update
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Darpa said:

Peachmonkey thank you for pointing me to that thread. 

1) I saw that my entry of  --force_steam_vr  should be --force_steam_VR   (caps for the VR)

It now loads steamVR successfully. The 4 screens are gone and the picture quality is good again.  

2) However it is still unusable given side effects that this caused. The camera view does not seem to center properly, the camera seems now attached to my head as it moves... and the fish-eye distortion is back again big time (it had almost vanished entirely with the experimental distortion feature they introduced in the last version of the Base software). So 1 step forward and 1 step back. 

I will continue re-reading the thread peachmonkey suggested to see if there are any other clues. Does what I am describing sound familiar to anyone?

Update: OK... now Don's solution to swap eyes DOES work after I got the steamVR thing working again and I am back to normal (so much for using the stable version). Thanks for everyone's help as I very much appreciate it. I must admit after having the Aero overheat and brick on me, having their support ignore all my support requests and now having this issue with DCS and am, for the first time, having my concerns about this headset.

Post over on their official Discord also. I have seen reports of very good support from them so hopefully they will get you sorted asap.

Glad you got your Steam VR sorted, sometimes it is the little things.

:thumbup:

Edited by dburne

Don B

My bad, didn’t realize VR has to be in capital letters.  Varjo is a small company but yeah support could’ve been more robust.  They’re very good at getting out replacement headset quickly if you needed one though based on my personal experience.

Edited by Supmua

1 minute ago, Darpa said:

Finally got hold of their support a few hours ago. They explained that their support system had failed and they had lost all incoming requests.

Good deal hope they get you sorted asap.

• Like 1

Don B