Question to ED, - current state of Hornet vital systems simulation level (FUEL, HYDRAULICS, CONTROLS, ... )

GumidekCZ

Hi @BIGNEWY / @NineLine !

I would like to send a question to ED team with hope to get an answer at the end.

Its about Hornets vital systems: FUEL - HYDRAULIC - ELECTRICAL POWER SUPPLY - ENVIRONMENTAL - FLIGHT CONTROL - AVIONICS systems and backup systems.

Many enthusiast interested in DCS Hornet flying have their copy of Hornet NATOPS Flight Manual downloaded and some of them also did study some of the topics like Hornets performance, procedures and how the systems works and how to operate them (including emergency procedures). I did that also, with in some limited extend of chapters I found interesting. After some quick testing and system failures set in ME. I found that DCS Hornet systems/subsystems (depends on which one) works only roughly or some not at all like described in NATOPS FM. I will not go here to the details of what I have found wrong or incorrectly simulated, because I really don’t want to make this topic to go off topic just after created.

So my key question to the team is:

"What is the current state of Hornet FUEL, HYDRAULIC, ELECTRIC, ENVORONMENTAL, FLIGHT CONTROL, AVIONICS systems, or how accurate are these system modeled, when compared to Hornets NATOPS FM, and what is planned to fix / add in future of this great DCS module? What are the player possibilities to solve emergency procedures according to NATOPS flight manual if being hit in mission or when player made his Hornet systems failure setup in mission editor to practice emergency procedures."

"Will there be any EMERGENCY Guide made by ED for the Hornet module in future?

Fuel Motive Flow Feed, Transfer, Gravity with its valves and pumps (depicted in NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-000 Figure FO-11. Fuel System (Sheet 2 of 3))

Fuel Motive Flow System with its valves and pumps (depicted in Figure FO-11. Fuel System (Sheet 3 of 3))

Hydraulic system with its valves and pumps (depicted in Figure 15-5. Hydraulic Flow Diagram)

Control surfaces affected by hydraulic system malfunction (depicted in Figure 15-6. Hydraulic Subsystems Malfunction Guide)

Flight Controls (depicted in Figure 2-12. Flight Control System Functional Diagram) with its backup control 2.8.2.10 Mechanical Linkage (MECH)

Avionics systems (depicted in Figure 2-20. Mission Computer Functions and Multiplex System (Sheet 4 of 5 and Sheet 5 of 5))

Electrical power system (depicted in Figure 2-9. Electrical System (Sheet 2 of 2))

Environmental Control System (depicted in Figure FO-12. Environmental Control System)

Edited by GumidekCZ
  • Like 3

• ED Team

Hi, 

If you think there is a bug you should create a short as possible track replay showing the issue and post it in the bugs section so we can take a look. 

Please only post one issue per report, take special care with our 1.16 rule regarding classified information newer than 1980

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

If you think there is a bug you should create a short as possible track replay showing the issue and post it in the bugs section so we can take a look. 

Please only post one issue per report, take special care with our 1.16 rule regarding classified information newer than 1980

Thanks

I know I can report something, Im aware of that rule. But this topic/post is not about BUG for now, its about getting an info about state of Hornet systems simulation level!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, GumidekCZ said:

I know I can report something, Im aware of that rule. But this topic/post is not about BUG for now, its about getting an info about state of Hornet systems simulation level!

In my experience there is no failure modelling of any systems in hornet. There is a brief suggestion that we might have an MC1 failure mode modelled, but it doesn't show the correct indications for that failure and recent peer experience has led me to believe its just a bug (unreproducable so unreportable).

Having said that, I have no idea how deep the simulation goes. All I know is whatever system might or might not be modelled below the surface, are perfect and cannot fail. Leading to there currently being no requirement to learn any EPs.

Source: 5.3K combined logged hornet flight hours in our group, random failures on. Never had a proper Hornet failure, just those odd MC1 things I said above

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

3 hours ago, Swift. said:

.. in our group, random failures on. Never had a proper Hornet failure ....

Hey! Are you expecting random failures to work in multiplayer? I somewhere read that failures don't work in multiplayer. Just asking ...

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

13 minutes ago, TOViper said:

Hey! Are you expecting random failures to work in multiplayer? I somewhere read that failures don't work in multiplayer. Just asking ...

They work just fine in A-10. I've only logged 30 hours of A-10 flight, but already experienced at least 1 failure (broken Left MFD). I've also seen a couple of stuck buttons. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

More failures are planned. 

Glad to hear that, but I would like to return topic back to asking ED about systems simulation ... random/scheduled failures or without them, we are now expercing failures caused by enemy fire, and we would like to know, what is or will be simulated, to be able solve emergency situations nowadays same as later in future.

• ED Team
1 minute ago, hanab said:

If ED don’t use the word « soon », this feature will not come this year I think. Perhaps for the 5 years of hornet birthday in 2023

You will still be here to let us know so there is always a silver lining. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 1 month later...

***This contains a spoiler from Topgun: Maverick*** if you haven’t watched then go it’s really good and then read this.

So in the movie a trusty F/A-18F gets hit by a flock of birds and the same “engine fire left” “engine fire right” audios come on similarly to a comprehensive startup procedure (its one of the tests). The pilot then goes through the extinguishing procedures and attempts a restart. This made me try and replicate it once I got home but I didn’t get too far and realised that it may not be implemented yet.

My question is: will we be able to have an engine fire simulated as a failure in mission editor and be able to use NATOPS procedures to keep the Hornet flying in game ie. Use the fire extinguishers and limp home?

Look I know I’m comparing Hollywood to DCS. Don’t get me wrong ED has done an amazing job on the Hornet so far. 

Regards GL

On 4/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, Swift. said:

In my experience there is no failure modelling of any systems in hornet. There is a brief suggestion that we might have an MC1 failure mode modelled, but it doesn't show the correct indications for that failure and recent peer experience has led me to believe its just a bug (unreproducable so unreportable).

Having said that, I have no idea how deep the simulation goes. All I know is whatever system might or might not be modelled below the surface, are perfect and cannot fail. Leading to there currently being no requirement to learn any EPs.

Source: 5.3K combined logged hornet flight hours in our group, random failures on. Never had a proper Hornet failure, just those odd MC1 things I said above

some low low level stuff is there such as generator failures, and the occasional avionics battle damage failure
also, fuel tank damage is modelled to some extent

but a LOT is completely missing such as engine damage

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rissala said:

some low low level stuff is there such as generator failures, and the occasional avionics battle damage failure
also, fuel tank damage is modelled to some extent

but a LOT is completely missing such as engine damage

There may well be battle damage modelled, but there are no failures as such. If you dont hit anything or get hit by anything, nothing will ever break. Contrast that to IRL hornets, where something breaks pretty much every flight.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 6/6/2022 at 9:49 PM, Green Leader said:

***This contains a spoiler from Topgun: Maverick*** if you haven’t watched then go it’s really good and then read this.

So in the movie a trusty F/A-18F gets hit by a flock of birds and the same “engine fire left” “engine fire right” audios come on similarly to a comprehensive startup procedure (its one of the tests). The pilot then goes through the extinguishing procedures and attempts a restart. This made me try and replicate it once I got home but I didn’t get too far and realised that it may not be implemented yet.

My question is: will we be able to have an engine fire simulated as a failure in mission editor and be able to use NATOPS procedures to keep the Hornet flying in game ie. Use the fire extinguishers and limp home?

Look I know I’m comparing Hollywood to DCS. Don’t get me wrong ED has done an amazing job on the Hornet so far. 

Regards GL

all i’m hearing is that we need simulated birds in DCS

• Like 1

13 hours ago, throAU said:

all i’m hearing is that we need simulated birds in DCS

We have them. I’ve hit one 🤣

If your engine flames out on takeoff or low altitude and nobody shot you. You just ingested a bird. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5