Orion 2 waiting room...anybody got one yet?

Brother_Leb

TLDR: The preorder process is a queue and there are lots of folks in line ahead of you, but WW is catching up quickly on all the back orders (see some of the replies below). Average time from preorder to payment is about 4 weeks (as of 5-15-2022). Shipping varies after that, but the tracking info usually comes within a day of payment processing. All in all, now that I've got my gear, I can certainly say it's worth the wait!

----- Original Post ------

Just thought I'd weigh in on timing for the Orion 2 for those who have preordered as a FYI FWIW. I want to be clear I do not represent WW in any way, I'm just a regular customer like you. Also, this is neither a complaint nor a review, just information for other folks interested in pre-ordering the new Orion 2 Hotas. I'm overall happy with what WinWing is doing and don't want this to come across as grumpy. I assure you it's not. Just informational.

I tried to order an Orion 1 Hotas twice, but couldn't get a purchase to go through because the WinWing site crashed every time they restocked and by the time it was back up they were all sold out.

March 11, 2022: I was delighted when they introduced the pre-order system because that meant I could actually order an Orion. I preordered mine on March 11, 2022 at roughly 4:30 pm CET. I immediately received their standard email about waiting for the pre-order to be filled and watched my inbox for the payment request. Once received, I would be able to pay for the product and they would begin shipping. All posts indicated that shipping is usually pretty quick (~2 weeks), but each component ships separately, which is not ideal.

March 11-April 3: Waiting...checking email religiously. Crickets. Usually they restock every two weeks, but no email for almost a month.

April 4, 2022: WW posts their first "We have something new" teaser. I go, "huh."

April 5-9, 2022: As more posts and more info come out, I realize they are updating the Orion, which explains the lack of email. I also worry about whether my order for an old Orion will be filled, or whether I could potentially upgrade it and what the price differential would be.

April 10, 2022: Official WW announcement (cool video!). Also the message on their website clarifies my fate: As a previous preorder customer, I'm getting a free upgrade to the Orion 2! Thanks Winwing!! (Still no email though, I saw all this because I was continuously checking their website to make sure I wasn't missing anything and that my pre-order was still pending).

April 14, 2022 (time of OP): Still no email and tbh I'm not holding my breath. With everything going on around the world, I don't expect this to come quickly. I'm hoping by the end of May, but it may be longer. I DO wonder though if the original shipping cost that was quoted to me with the preorder will change. If so, I'd like to know because WW requires payment of preorders within 48 hours of receiving their "order filled" email. If the shipping cost does change (probably goes up), I'll need to transfer more money to my Paypal account (the only payment platform WW accepts currently), which takes a few business days.

April 18, 2022: Pre-order filled email and payment request received. I paid (using Paypal, shipping cost was the same as quoted when the order was created). Email includes full message about pre-order upgrade. No shipment info yet, I'll update again when it ships and when all parts are received.

April 20, 2022: Shipping confirmation from WW. FedEx tracking # received, estimated delivery date 4/25 (but I'll be surprised if it's that quick). Shipping to US.

April 26, 2022 All packages received. Shipped to US. 8 days after payment completed (would have been 7, but FedEx was...well, FedEx). Not bad! Happy customer so far. Time from preorder to receipt was 46 days.

Feel free to post preorder and shipping times in this thread to compare notes. There's lots of helpful WW tips from fellow customers here too.

Edited by Brother_Leb
  • Thanks 1

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

Ordered F16EX, F18 Throttle, and Collective April 2nd. No purchase email yet.

3 hours ago, Bedouin said:

I ordered the Super Taurus, the F-16EX and a Combat panel on the 4/4-22 so i properly gotta wait another few weeks 🙂 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

6 hours ago, drsoran said:

Preordered F-16EX throttle at March 15th and got shipping notice April 13th with estimated arrival 4/25/2022. Keep you up...

Good to know. I would bet that shipping processes are different product by product. I should say I preordered the F18 Hotas (throttle and stick). Good to know that orders are getting filled reasonably quickly. Makes me excited!

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro

7 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

March 11 here, F-18 HOTAS. Still nothing, it seems that either the Viper sets get priority or they're short on something else (sticks, maybe?) for the Hornet ones.

Yeah, same. I think you are probably right. I'd guess the latter. Probably supply-side/materials related stuff for the hornet grips given their message in late March about the price increase.

TBH, I considered switching my order to Orion MAX, but that'd have booted me back to the end of the queue. Think I should ask their support if they'd ship me a Viper stick if I pay a little more? It's actually cheaper than the F-18 variant now, although not as cheap as it was when I ordered it.

13 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

TBH, I considered switching my order to Orion MAX, but that'd have booted me back to the end of the queue. Think I should ask their support if they'd ship me a Viper stick if I pay a little more? It's actually cheaper than the F-18 variant now, although not as cheap as it was when I ordered it.

Couldn't hurt to try. I certainly wouldn't cancel your preorder, but you might try filing a support ticket or emailing customer service.

I'm too much of a hornet guy to switch, but I think the Orion Max is probably the best overall deal (and maybe best HOTAS combo barring the really expensive stuff from Virpil, etc.?).

Edited by Brother_Leb

I kind of want the gated switches, like in the real aircraft. The ones on the Viper grip aren't, which gives them 4 additional (and likely largely useless) positions. Although, it's got an analog brake and the rumble motor, plus of course a great deal more switches overall. I guess I'll ask their support.

EDIT: They got to me right after the holidays (didn't see the point of writing to them on weekend), so I'll be getting the Hornet grip. Might buy the Viper one day, but for now, I think it'll suffice. Waiting for delivery now. 🙂

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 1

(Updated OP) preorder went through and I paid, got confirmation from WW. Waiting for shipping notice. Will update.

• Like 1

Hi,

ordered Orion 2 throttle f18 and fingerlift , not payed yet, waiting instructions.

• Like 1

CPU:i5-8400@2,8GHz|GPU: GTX-1080Ti 11gb | RAM:48GB|Monitor LG38"" wide 3840x1600 | 2xSabrent SSD 2T Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280| VKB GladiatorMKII Kosmosima|

*** Perché volare? Semplice. Non sono felice a meno che non ci sia un po’ di spazio tra me e la terra. ***

Another update. Shipping confirmation and tracking number received. I'll post a final update when the full order is received (it's shipping in 4 different packages apparently, according to the WW email). Hopefully that will give folks an idea of timing for a full pre-order cycle.

• Thanks 2

Ordered F16EX hotas on 2022-03-21. Still nothing. I was stupid because I was waiting with placing preorder because I thought I would have to pre-pay and I didn't want to freeze my money for an unknown time. After 1-2 weeks I found out that the payment is right before the shipment...

31 minutes ago, MarcinQ said:

Ordered F16EX hotas on 2022-03-21. Still nothing. I was stupid because I was waiting with placing preorder because I thought I would have to pre-pay and I didn't want to freeze my money for an unknown time. After 1-2 weeks I found out that the payment is right before the shipment...

True, but the first response in this thread ordered about a week before you did and had their order shipped 4/13, so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

• Like 1

I ordered 04/02 so given the current pace I'm thinking end of May.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

9 hours ago, soulindk said:

I placed my pre-order for the FA-18 HOTAS on March 17 and still waiting to get my email. Hopefully the FA-18s aren't too backordered as I'm getting antsy.

I don't think you will have to wait too long. It seems like they are still filling orders in batches. So maybe you'll get yours filled by the end of the month? Let us know.

FWIW, for me this has also become an interesting way to track global supply chain efficiency in the current geopolitical situation 😆

• Like 2

I ordered the F-18 HOTAS on March 13, got my e-mail a few days ago. Package should get there on 29th, but it's going from China to EU, so I'm not surprised. Nearly two months of wait, but I suppose getting the finger lifts for free would be worth it.

Edited by Dragon1-1

On 4/20/2022 at 3:45 PM, MarcinQ said:

Today I received the payment request. 

• Like 1