Not full load GPU. Why ?

SMN

Hi!
I don't understand why this is happening...
In the company mission "FA-18C Operation Cerberus North" in Syria is not a full load of GPU ? And when the GPUs load 15...20% - freezes.
DRAM is not full load. I have 32 Gb DRAM.
Vertical Sync - OFF.
But... when I go to PAUSE (ESC) - GPU load - 100%.
What could be the reason for "half" GPU load?

Checked in Syria in free flight - there is normally - 100% GPU load.
Two videos - mission, where the partial load GPU and free flight with a full load GPU + CPU, GPU, DRAM parameters.

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

Most likely you are CPU limited. When unpaused, DCS does much more AI/systems calculations and your CPU can't keep up. The multicore CPU won't show 100% usage, but the one or two cores that do most of the work are already loaded to the max. 

I would check if it gets better with wake turbulence off. I remember it was quite taxing in missions with many aircraft around you. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

1 час назад, some1 сказал:

Most likely you are CPU limited. When unpaused, DCS does much more AI/systems calculations and your CPU can't keep up. The multicore CPU won't show 100% usage, but the one or two cores that do most of the work are already loaded to the max. 

I would check if it gets better with wake turbulence off. I remember it was quite taxing in missions with many aircraft around you. 

Now I checked the CPU core load. None of the cores are even half-loaded!
Here is a screenshot

GPU  - 50%
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ... Each cores less than 50%.
I do not see CPU cores which one loaded to the max !

DCS CPU Load.png

Edited by SMN

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

1 hour ago, SMN said:

...None of the cores are even half-loaded!...

Hi, I would second @some1 advice about wake turbulence. And regarding cpu cores usage I know that you can get a completely different picture if you use a monitoring software with more frequent data recording (example every 0.1 sec instead of 1 sec). I have seen a barely 50% used core (with 1 sec) in fact hitting 100% several times/sec this way. And it is probably still not the real picture. Gpu datas are much less bind to records frequency (practically not at all, idk why).

Also it is possible that you can't see where the culprit/limitation is with any tools, I've had the case.

6 часов назад, toutenglisse сказал:

Hi, I would second @some1 advice about wake turbulence

Turning off the wake turbulence made no difference in this case

14.04.2022 в 23:39, some1 сказал:

Most likely you are CPU limited

Can you check this track on your PC?
And what CPU & GPU utilization do you have?
I want to understand the possible cause of GPU underloading.
If it's really problem in my CPU, it's time to think about replacing it...

And please, who has a powerful CPU - playback this track on your own and what are the results on the CPU and GPU utilization  in this track?

Track

Edited by SMN

It’s the way dcs has been on heavy missions for years.  Hence lots of us are excited by the upcoming upgrade to multi core engine.  Until then heavy campaign missions are a struggle both 2d and VR 

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

1 час назад, rcjonessnp175 сказал:

It’s the way dcs has been on heavy missions for years.  Hence lots of us are excited by the upcoming upgrade to multi core engine.  Until then heavy campaign missions are a struggle both 2d and VR 

And the i5 12600 will not help in such heavy missions ?

46 minutes ago, SMN said:

And the i5 12600 will not help in such heavy missions ?

Yes, the latest and fastest CPU does help, but there's always a limit.

Can I please suggest that you go read about how to setup your own server on your PC.  That enables you to offload the AI computation to the "server", which can happily run on a different CPU core to the "game", which you are playing on.  Both can run on the same PC, so long as you have enough RAM.  64GB would help in that respect.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just chime in here for a very small piece of advice. When Afterburner shows a round fraction of your physical core count for a prolonged amount of time (e.g. 25% or 50% for a 4-core cpu), your cpu is topped off and bottle necking. You can rely on that. If you want more detail you can show the usage of different cores in Avterburner!

I would check on any background processes, but with some cpu you will come to an hard wall at some point (amount of AI-units, scripting, wake etc.)

I would also strongly recommend to turn off wake.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

17 часов назад, Mr_sukebe сказал:

Yes, the latest and fastest CPU does help, but there's always a limit.

Can I please suggest that you go read about how to setup your own server on your PC.  That enables you to offload the AI computation to the "server", which can happily run on a different CPU core to the "game", which you are playing on.  Both can run on the same PC, so long as you have enough RAM.  64GB would help in that respect.

Interesting idea...
Alas, I only have 32Gb of memory... (8 Gb x 4)
But, it would be interesting to know how it could be done (about own server on my PC for enables to offload the AI computation)

4 minutes ago, SMN said:

Interesting idea...
Alas, I only have 32Gb of memory... (8 Gb x 4)
But, it would be interesting to know how it could be done (about own server on my PC for enables to offload the AI computation)

Look at this thread, there is a detailed explanation.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I would say your CPU from 2015 is the limitting factor. But I dont have any good explaination why the monitoring you showed did not look like as if.

General Idea: Switch off addons like TacView. This costs me most performance in larger missions.

If any addon is responsible can be easily checked by just renaming the C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts - folder.

also post your last dcs.log file in C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs together with DxDiag in order for ED to easier verify your case.

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

1 час назад, Limaro сказал:

I would say your CPU from 2015 is the limitting factor. But I dont have any good explaination why the monitoring you showed did not look like as if.

General Idea: Switch off addons like TacView. This costs me most performance in larger missions.

If any addon is responsible can be easily checked by just renaming the C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts - folder.

also post your last dcs.log file in C:\Users\<user>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs together with DxDiag in order for ED to easier verify your case.

Hi!
I switched off all addons in Sripts folder
Scripts folder.jpg

And ... the situation has really improved!
The GPU utilization increased!
In track Benchmark CPU GPU load.trk (which I posted above) GPU utilization almost all the time 100%. It sometimes drops to 80...90, but not often. Before it was about 50...70 all the time.

In the track "Test.trk" the load is more, but also used to be much worse than now after disabling addons.

You're right, tacview probably for CPU costs most performance in larger missions

Two tracks and logs attached. DxDiag too.

P.S  I think I will postpone buying an i5 12600 with a motherboard  😀

Edited by SMN

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, KevyKevTPA said:

Is that like days/weeks away, or off in some unknown distant future?

Been waiting for years but maybe this year…. Aka 2 weeks 

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

35 minutes ago, rcjonessnp175 said:

Been waiting for years but maybe this year…. Aka 2 weeks 

So...

Not soon lol...

I mean, I guess that's understandable since multi-core processors are such a new thing.  🙄

Edited by KevyKevTPA
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2022 at 12:07 AM, SMN said:

Now I checked the CPU core load. None of the cores are even half-loaded!

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 ... Each cores less than 50%.
I do not see CPU cores which one loaded to the max !

Keep in mind, the i7-6700K has 8 VIRTUAL cores, but only 4 physical cores.

So one physical core has to do the workload of two of the cores displayed in your screenshot.
You could try disabling Hyperthreading for your CPU. For some single-core applications this could bring some benefit.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 12:51 AM, Eugel said:

Keep in mind, the i7-6700K has 8 VIRTUAL cores, but only 4 physical cores.

So one physical core has to do the workload of two of the cores displayed in your screenshot.
You could try disabling Hyperthreading for your CPU. For some single-core applications this could bring some benefit.

When I turned off hyperthreading, it got even worse.
Virtual cores are probably necessary for Windows, I think

Edited by SMN