Setting the Radar Alt

sobe

As I understand, you cannot set the gun for auto unless the Radar Alt is on.  When I go to A/C > Flt >Set and the rad alt is at the bottom right side of the MFD.  The little circle is hollow and when I try to click the button next to it, nothing happens.  I assume the circle should become solid but it does not.  What am I doing wrong?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

7 hours ago, sobe said:

I assume the circle should become solid but it does not.

That's correct - a solid circle indicates that RDR ALT has been activated.

7 hours ago, sobe said:

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry, but I have no idea. Did you do a cold start? If so, you can check the steps till activating RDR ALT (#36) of my Cold Start Checklist, maybe you've skipped a required step.

If you manage to reproduce your problem you should provide a trackfile.

Edited by AstonMartinDBS

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Hi All.

Just reading your posts, just a quick question regarding Radar Altimeter operation, are you trying to alter it from a cold start state or Hot start, I ask this because so far from a cold start there dont seem to be any issues, but others including myself, are reporting being unable to alter the state of the altimeter from a Hot start situation, fortunatly its in operation from a hot start, you can confirm this from the Monicle display ("I" toggles), Radar altimeter should be displayed in the lower right of the display. Hope this helps.

Happy Bug Hunting.

Chilliblast, ASUS P8-Z77-V Pro, I7 3770K@3-5GHz, 16GB Corsair PC-3 12800 DDR3 @1600MHz, MSi GTX 1080 8GB, Creative SBZ, Logitech LT Z906 5.1, ASUS 24"Monitor 1080 60Hz,120GB SSD, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, Corsair CX 750W PSu, Win 10 Home Prem 64bit, TM Warthog, TM T Flight Pedals. Track IR, Occulus Rift S, Black Shark SA, DCS A-10C SA, All DCS Current Aircraft Modules, DCS 2.5 Stable and Beta.

8 hours ago, sobe said:

As I understand, you cannot set the gun for auto unless the Radar Alt is on.  When I go to A/C > Flt >Set and the rad alt is at the bottom right side of the MFD.  The little circle is hollow and when I try to click the button next to it, nothing happens.  I assume the circle should become solid but it does not.  What am I doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong at all. It's a reported bug they're aware of. I think it only affects hot starts, I believe.

So when you press it and it doesn't change visually - it actually is changing. However, if you're doing a hot start then you shouldn't need to press anything because it should be on anyway.

• Thanks 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I am doing a hot start.  The problem I seem to have is that I cannot get the gun to use auto rather than manual ranging.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

1 hour ago, sobe said:

The problem I seem to have is that I cannot get the gun to use auto rather than manual ranging.

What are the symptoms leading you to this conclusion?

Keep in mind, even when you select MANRNG at B6, and then press "A" + "Enter" in the KU, the value shown on the MPD will not change, but there will be an "A" to the left of the range shown on the HMD, where my arrow is indicating below.

image.png

will check later

I checked and no A appears in the HMD. 

On 4/15/2022 at 2:27 AM, sobe said:

It works but you must wait a little to arm the system (if you start from cold dark situation), maybe 2-3 minutes after turning on radar alt. You can set up the Betty as LO too and when you hear the warning means that Radar Alt works. You can start and will see digits of Alt.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I checked and no A appears in the HMD in a hot start

You aren't doing anything wrong sobe. As mentioned above, the radio altimeter is on following a hot start. In the FLT/SET page the radio altimeter button will be hollow indicating it is off and the button is inop. It is, however, actually on. It's a reported bug I hear. The best way you can tell the RA is off is if IHADSS has an altitude display. There is no altitude displayed in the IHADSS if the RA is actually off. (Don't ask how I know that or how long it took to sort it out.)

You need to look other places for why you're not able to set the gun (or rockets) to Auto. I strongly suspect what is happening is that it is in Auto but your results are not what you are expecting. Casmo recently had a good YT video demonstrating a suspected bug in the module with an excellent explanation but Auto is only an aid, bug or not. It was never designed to be laser accurate. Feature, not bug, as is often said. Also as far as I know there is no indicator or display showing the gun status. There may be but I've never seen one. Watch the Casmo TV video. That may help with your procedures and give you some ways to minimize the effects of the system's limitations.

vor 22 Stunden schrieb Kharrn:

that

self quote...

Please check that link.

Long story short:

Zitat

Please be aware that you

1) have to set Rad Alt to on ("filled donut") on a cold start. It might take a minute to turn on after pressing the corresponding pushbutton.

2) have to be below 1.428 feet for Radar Altimeter to function atm (dunno why Auto Range cant use Baro, might be a data accuracy related issue)

3) check IHADSS range and NOT the MPD MANRNG range on WPN page. Confirm in IHADSS it says Ax.x for Auto Range.

Also note that this topic is asked A LOT. Search function might be of help.

Just testet in a hot start. AUTO range below 1.428 feet no problem. above it does not work.