F-16EX Rumble feature, a gimmick or useful?

Bedouin

There are a few reviews that talk about the rumble feature. Apparently it's like a "rumble pack."  I'd probably turn it off myself (don't use rumble on controllers either), but I ordered an F18 stick, so I won't be able to say. Depends on your tastes, I guess.

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro
Hornet driver, Blue Angel enthusiast, Tomcat stan

Worst case scenario, it acts as a hand massager for those long flights😎

I have one otw also, but it's not a feature I would be too quick to utilize. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

As a long time force feedback joystick user, it's a feature I am most curious about, and would 100% tune to my liking and use. If I did not have my MSFFB2 🙂 FFB buffeting and high AoA in WW2 birds is very useful as you can tell that the plane is in that state without looking at the gages. However, I like my FFB too much and will not be swapping it for mere rumble. Massive kudos to WW for innovating though!

6 hours ago, Katmandu said:

However, I like my FFB too much and will not be swapping it for mere rumble.

Yeah, from what I can tell this is NOT FFB. Still, it's a nice feature to provide a bit of haptic feedback. So, yes kudos to WW even if it's not full FFB.

Incidentally, after watching lots of videos about Apache trim (esp. RedKite's), I think a stick with good FFB could be a competitive advantage that manufacturers might want to look into. Based on some quick searching, it doesn't look like there are any on the market anymore.

32GB (4x8) DDR4 2400 | Intel Core i-7 8700 4.6 GHz | MSI ATX Pro Z-370-A | GeForce 2070RTX Super Founder's Edition
WinWing Orion 2 Hotas w/ Hornet Throttle and Stick grips | HP Reverb G2 | BenQ 21" 60Hz | TrackIR 5 + TrackClip Pro

I have a bass shaker mounted underneath my VKB Gunfighter, and it's super helpful flying the P-51 on its stall envelope due to the buffeting effect - I would be super interested at how the F-16EX grip perform. I would only use it to buffeting effects, where as the bass shaker can focus on the g-loading and over speed effects more.

55 minutes ago, Taderaz said:

There are FFB but they have a price tag ;):

Shop Archiv - BRUNNER (brunner-innovation.swiss)

Nope GIF - Nope - Discover & Share GIFs

My pocket book is not nearly that deep 😅

Edited by Brother_Leb
  • Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 10:26 PM, Brother_Leb said:

Incidentally, after watching lots of videos about Apache trim (esp. RedKite's), I think a stick with good FFB could be a competitive advantage that manufacturers might want to look into. Based on some quick searching, it doesn't look like there are any on the market anymore.

The patent which caused that situation has recently expired, so maybe we'll see FFB sticks from someone who isn't Logitech. Maybe even FFB pedals, in real aircraft you feel forces on them, too (and pedal shakers are a thing in a few of them). A short throw, high force FFB stick base with FFB pedals would be wonderful for helos and awesome for WWII aircraft, as well.

The thing in F-16EX is just a rumble motor, though admittedly, a stick shaker in a real aircraft is exactly that, so I suppose it'd work well for simulating that and as stall warning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 3:36 PM, recoilfx said:

I have a bass shaker mounted underneath my VKB Gunfighter, and it's super helpful flying the P-51 on its stall envelope due to the buffeting effect - I would be super interested at how the F-16EX grip perform. I would only use it to buffeting effects, where as the bass shaker can focus on the g-loading and over speed effects more.

Hi there sir. 

Would you care sharing some pics of that installation? I have several shakers around, small Dayton exciters and regular bs200. 

Did you check if the shaking modifies the joy axis hall sensor signal? 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 2 months later...

One question regarding F16ex rumble, If you remove the top add-on, also the shaker doesn't work, however the motor itself seems to be in the stick itself. Is there some workaround to make it work without grip top add-on?

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR

• 3 weeks later...

I love the light rumble effect. 
I spend 11 years with a HOTAS Warthog stick and mostly fly the Ka-50 and JF-17 in VR on my HP Reverb G2.  In the Ka-50 you can "feel" turns and the Vortex Ring of Death is get it shakey 😁

Having never flown a real heli, I wont know if this effect is real. But, it adds to the immersion.
Rumble is definitely useful.

• Like 1

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]