AMD 5800X3D, the new King for flight simulators?

maxsin72

Will keep watching for the situation, at least when there would be a nice price drop...

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

My local computer store has re-stocked, they now have plenty of stock. Yay! Here's hoping prices will fall even more.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Just bought one :)...  Can't wait for it to get here 🙂

• Like 2

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

What goes up...must go down...la la la la la...

Still holding on and wait for the Cyber Monday!

• Like 2

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Not worth the wait for me :).  I found one for $400 so I'm good.

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 10/1/2022 at 8:34 AM, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

If I were AMD, I would have stopped producing any AM4 months ago.

They can't.

With the new AM5 requirement for a new motherboard, and AM5 motherboards going for no less than 800€ currently, they would risk loosing market to Intel.

If AM5 prices were more reasonable, yes, but AMD has become Intel now.

• Like 2

It's nice to see AMD regain their rightful place as the CPU performance leader...  😉

OG K6-2 owner here LOL....

Edited by M1Combat

K6-2 333 with 16mb ram and a PCI* Nvidia Riva TNT here, saw me through many sleepless nights at uni playing Colin McRae, Thief and rainbow six 😁

*No AGP slot on the motherboard!

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

image.png

Tower View...  28FPS and some telemetry on the left.  3800X@4.3Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Tower View...  38FPS and some telemetry on the left.  5800x3d@4.45Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Ocean View...  75FPS and some telemetry on the left.  3800X@4.3Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Ocean View...  79FPS and some telemetry on the left.  5800x3d@4.35Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

• Like 4

Just the CPU swap.  3800X to 5800x3d.

Running OXR.

Tried to keep other things as consistent as I could.  I alt-tabbed in and out a few times to make sure the numbers on the telemetry wouldn't change drasticaly when I tried to snip the shots and it didn't.  You can see when I had DCS focused and when I didn't via the frame time graph at the bottom.  When it's active then DCS is active.

With both CPUs and in both shot angles the FPS was fluctuating a bit so I tried to kinda capture it when it wasn't at the top or bottom spikes.  I don't like that exactly but I think the numbers represent what's happening.   I'm sure there's a way to graph an average but I'm just not that interested in spending the time to set it up.

In general it shows clearly that it helps tremendously to raise the FPS when it's on the low side.  I suspect this will help MPO a LOT.

I flew around a bit afterwards and It's quite nice.

Edited by M1Combat

On 10/9/2022 at 1:27 AM, M1Combat said:

image.png

Tower View...  28FPS and some telemetry on the left.  3800X@4.3Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Tower View...  38FPS and some telemetry on the left.  5800x3d@4.45Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Ocean View...  75FPS and some telemetry on the left.  3800X@4.3Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

image.png

Ocean View...  79FPS and some telemetry on the left.  5800x3d@4.35Ghz  12GB3080 64GBMem@3600

would You be so kind and share Your settings? (i.e DCS, OXR..)

• Like 1

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Well the actual framerate numbers aren't really what I was trying to point out...  It's more about the Delta FPS if you will.  How much was gained in a few limited scenarios.  As you can see...

33% gains on the low end where it matters.

As far as OXR settings...  I think 100% res and Fixed Foviated Rendering but I don't recall which settings.  Nvidia settings are MFAA, Fast VSync and Prefer max perf. 

It doesn't matter though.  Given the same settings...  I see a 33% increase in FPS in pretty much worst case scenario.  Huge win IMO but keep in mind I'm coming from a 3800x that was clocked at 4.3Ghz...  so not the fastest of CPU's for sure but probably decent to roughly average of what a lot of people are running.  Same thing in MP.  I fired up one of the cold war servers and it's still slower than I'd like on the ground but as soon as I'm in the air it's super smooth.

image.pngnull

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, M1Combat said:

Well the actual framerate numbers aren't really what I was trying to point out...  It's more about the Delta FPS if you will.  How much was gained in a few limited scenarios.  As you can see...

thanks,  I just wanted to know, how bad is my "stone age CPU" (intel i7 7820X 4.7GHz & 32GB RAM)

Since this spring, I am hesitating whether wait another "two weeks" for multicore or go to CPU upgrade.

the screenshot is with the same DCS settings as yours, OXR 100%,  toolkit - all improvements off; I am pretty CPU bound here

image.png

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

Yeah I don't think you'd see as much improvement as I did anyhow.  You seem to have 6GB vid mem...  Is that a 970 or something of that era?

1 hour ago, M1Combat said:

Yeah I don't think you'd see as much improvement as I did anyhow.  You seem to have 6GB vid mem...  Is that a 970 or something of that era?

970 has 4gb. 980ti, some 1060 has 3gb & 6gb variants if I remember. Dunno about AMD but they probably have some, too.

Edited by Mars Exulte

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

16 hours ago, M1Combat said:

970 or something of that era?

On 10/12/2022 at 2:09 AM, M1Combat said:

No, I have 3080Ti &12GB VRAM

OpenXR overlay shows "used VRAM", whatever is means..

image.png

Edited by wju

It's an actual reading of the amount of VRAM used, 6gb is all you're using.

@wjuYou will likely see a significant uplift going to a 5800x3D, I saw 25-30% with my 3070 and 3600@4.3ghz; it will really unlock your GPU.

Whether it's worth the cost Vs 7xxx Ryzen is up to you, there's no future proofing or real upgrade path going to an AM4 build now.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Oh yeah...  I'm a dork :).  Not sure why I didn't pick out that it's used mem 🙂

You'll likely see a good improvement with a step up to a top shelf CPU, but...  I'm not sure what that upgrade looks like for your CPU.  Does your motherboard take the newest stuff?  If not...  Will you also need to buy new memory?

Just pulled the trigger on the Ryzen. Theres a great deal right now on eBay (early Black Fri coupon) from antonline with 20% off. So price came out to be around $377 (tax and shipping included). 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 3

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It'll drive the 4090 nicely 🙂

• Like 1

Just refreshed my setup store on SCAN UK...dang, still no price cut.

• Like 1

Last week got the 5800X3D and yesterday installed a 4090. Great combo, highly recommended for VR!

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

12 hours ago, Ready said:

Last week got the 5800X3D and yesterday installed a 4090. Great combo, highly recommended for VR!

This is the setup I am thinking on or maybe I will wait for a 7xxx3DX, with the 5800X3D and the 4090 are you still CPU bound at times (reverb G2 use)?