AMD 5800X3D, the new King for flight simulators?

maxsin72

Have now tried 5800x3d for couple of hours in single player. Have not run any benchmark test. But with my setup in VR, I notice a small difference. Will try more in some typical multiplayer mission I usually fly, in the future.

In VR, I experience DCS as a GPU bound game. Most value for this new processor we will first get with the next generation of GPUs, which will come around September. Both Nvidea and AMD look like they will roughly double the GPU power.

From 5800x to 5800x3d, HP reverb G2, 32GB CL16, 6900XT, NVMe M2 

As usual and under testing, I have Motion vector on, in WMR, and AMD FSR(FidelityFX Super Resolution) mode.

Edited by retlaw

TM Warthog, Virpil warbrd base, TM TPR, TM Cougar MFD.

i9 9900k, GTX1080, 32GB/3200Mhz, 960GB M.2 NVMe, Oculus Rift S.

3 hours ago, retlaw said:

Have now tried 5800x3d for couple of hours in single player. Have not run any benchmark test. But with my setup in VR, I notice a small difference. Will try more in some typical multiplayer mission I usually fly, in the future.

In VR, I experience DCS as a GPU bound game. Most value for this new processor we will first get with the next generation of GPUs, which will come around September. Both Nvidea and AMD look like they will roughly double the GPU power.

From 5800x to 5800x3d, HP reverb G2, 32GB CL16, 6900XT, NVMe M2 

As usual and under testing, I have Motion vector on, in WMR, and AMD FSR(FidelityFX Super Resolution) mode.

Multiplayer is where dcs is much more cpu limited, it would be really interesting a test on a server with many players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maxsin72 said:

Multiplayer is where dcs is much more cpu limited, it would be really interesting a test on a server with many players.

He has motion vector on so the test and report is very limited in it's usefulness 

When this is enabled the excess frames are discarded. This means there is no difference between rendering 46FPS or 89FPS. The system will always render one artificial frame followed by one real one 

The only difference he will see is on occasions where his frames may have fallen below 45. If he had SteamVR he would have seen a stark decrease in fluidity and frames which theoretically could have been eliminated by the new processor; if OpenXR then a decrease to a 30FPS Reprojection, which is a little more difficult to spot

The stronger processor will enable him to crank settings harder since there is no advantage in rendering say 70 or 80fps over 50 other than additional overhead or as you've said in multiplayer servers where the extra overhead can be used towards that

Edited by nikoel

@retlawI’m very interested in this myself and considering the upgrade from my 3800xt. I’ve got the same set up as you and do see the cpu struggling. 
im not sure yet just how much and where the appreciable benefits will be felt but please keep posting updates to how you get on. I don’t use mr at all in openXR and find I don’t need it. 
An interesting test you can try is in sp 120% res in openXR with 100% fsr, no msaa, no af. 
see what kind of frametimes you get and fps. Then toggle Radeon chill on and see how it works with fps locked at 45. 
I have to admit I’m a bit confused by the amd tech specs for the xd but I’m assuming overclocked as well it should reduce the frametimes when there’s more ai and over cities, airports Etc. 

You could also whip up a big giant mission in Liberation, that'll put a load on your CPU and eliminate a couple of sources of variability in online play.  You definitely want MR off when benchmarking and CPU times are going to be way more helpful than FPS.  If you don't want to install Liberation, here's the last one I flew; you can use with the Syria map, player is in an F18 off the generic carrier.   If it's fubar (the AI being what it is, about half of them are) let me know and I'll gin up a new one for you

First get yourself tuned for the Syria map using a solo free flight mission.  Syria is different.  Specify how you have water, clouds and shadows set because those all affect CPU times, definitely don't vary those things (or anything else) in your trials.  

liberation_nextturn.miz

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I have a 5800x & 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 64GB ram @ 3600 Cl18
Reverb G2, Open XR, 100% Resolution (Will include NIS ON/OFF) & MR OFF

I'm receiving my 5800x3D early next week, I'll try to report back. (Without the MR off course)
I usually play DDCS, that can gets pretty busy during major offensive. 
The CPU is by far the biggest bottleneck by every metric in MP. That one poor core can only do so much..
I'll put my CPU back to Stock too for the testing since I'm running all core Manual OC 4650mhz @ 1.30v (Rendering)

All of that being said, I'm no tutube video streamer or any of that <profanity> so it's going to be a pretty basic review.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Obic said:

I'm receiving my 5800x3D early next week, I'll try to report back. (Without the MR off course)
The CPU is by far the biggest bottleneck by every metric in MP. That one poor core can only do so much..
I'll put my CPU back to Stock too for the testing since I'm running all core Manual OC 4650mhz @ 1.30v (Rendering)

All of that being said, I'm no tutube video streamer or any of that <profanity> so it's going to be a pretty basic review.

I'm running a 5800x as well, I'm curious to see the results.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

On 4/23/2022 at 2:38 PM, Obic said:

I have almost the exact same specs. Will be very interested to see how it goes. You don't really need very advanced testing. Just need to compare a reproducible CPU bound scenario with 5800x before switching the CPU and then do the same scenario with 5800x3D after to see if it has a good improvement on CPU frametime and FPS.

Edited by svartsau

6 hours ago, svartsau said:

I have almost the exact same specs. Will be very interested to see how it goes. You don't really need very advanced testing. Just need to compare a reproducible CPU bound scenario with 5800x before switching the CPU and then do the same scenario with 5800x3D after to see if it has a good improvement on CPU frametime and FPS.

1 consistent and unusually CPU intensive test:

Mi-24 with max Gatling gun pods and grenade launcher pods equipped, set to max burst length.  While flying close to ground, fire all pods shortly ahead at ground for full duration repeatedly, getting many ricochets and gradually bottoming out fps.  Doing this in Caucuses VR, I can consistently get to a minimum of about 12 fps (5950x, 64GB 3600 C14, 3090, Win10).

I can officially say that Cache it's really really good

I turned my system into a vacuum cleaner with all the fan at max speed to avoid thermal constrain.

I played 4 hours this morning on my 5800x to get a feel
Mission 2 - From the paradise lost campaign. 45fps to 55fps
Enigma Cold War - MI-24 low level at the front line about 40 ppl - 45 to 55 fps nothing more the usual

Plugged the 5800x3D
It also run cooler buy quite a bit
Mission 2 - From the paradise lost campaign. 45fps*Anderson* to 75fps
Enigma Cold War - front line was a nudge closer to Sokhumi 60 to 80 fps .... Dip at 59 with a 4 plane dogfight overhead, Half the front line on fire & helo engaging ground target.
DDCS is a solid 60 to 80 fps in Syria on the ground in a Mi-24
The load up of the Maps also seems quicker.
GPU was also more solicited

Edited by Obic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Obic said:

I can officially say that Cache it's really really good

I turned my system into a vacuum cleaner with all the fan at max speed to avoid thermal constrain.

I played 4 hours this morning on my 5800x to get a feel
Mission 2 - From the paradise lost campaign. 45fps to 55fps
Enigma Cold War - MI-24 low level at the front line about 40 ppl - 45 to 55 fps nothing more the usual

Plugged the 5800x3D
It also run cooler buy quite a bit
Mission 2 - From the paradise lost campaign. 45fps*Anderson* to 75fps
Enigma Cold War - front line was a nudge closer to Sokhumi 60 to 80 fps .... Dip at 59 with a 4 plane dogfight overhead, Half the front line on fire & helo engaging ground target.
DDCS is a solid 60 to 80 fps in Syria on the ground in a Mi-24
The load up of the Maps also seems quicker.
GPU was also more solicited

That's pretty impressive. What gpu do u run?

Am 23.4.2022 um 14:38 schrieb Obic:

vor einer Stunde schrieb TED:

That's pretty impressive. What gpu do u run?

Edited by Sile

Ok guys, spent some time with the X3D. 

Updated my conclusion, I had a faulty link cable that was actually hurting my VR frame rate with my Quest 2. 

Using the VR preset on the Persian Gulf map, playing the AH64 live fire test range mission, I am getting a solid 72 FPS in the goggles and it never dropped below that even with tons of fire and smoke. The X3D CPU is giving a much more consistent and smooth experience in DCS VR. Very pleased. The 5600x was not as consistent, often dropping to 36 frames. 

MSFS2020 in VR was VERY playable and enjoyable as well!

Edited by W.Holland
  • Like 3

Alright so my uplift coming from a 3900X at 4.5gHZ OC on a 6900XT @3.9Ghz and 64GB 3200/CL16 Ram to 5800X Stock

All recordings were made with OpenXR using OpenXRToolkit Inbuilt frame timing overlay

I used supercarier population with full crew and all aircraft slots on deck, multiple aircraft taxiing and taking off and additionally some flying. Very punishing, borderline artificially heavy CPU limited scenario. This is setup looking directly at the street/six pack where there was the most amount of action. The reading was taken after ~10seconds of waiting for things to settle down in exact the same spot without moving inside the F/A-18

3900X - ~30ms - (Red CPU Penalty 9ms)
5800X3D - ~19ms = Uplift of 61% (No CPU limitation message)

Apache on Syria Hotstart (Not a static test, taking off and doing a loop around the airfield)

3900X - 13-24ms
5800X3D - 9-16ms

This was a test of consistency rather than performance. What these figures don't show is how "locked" and smooth the experience was in comparison. The occasional stutter I had was gone

I am impressed. Anyone on AMD with a AM4 1k, 2k, 3k system looking for an upgrade this is a complete no-brainer. If you're on intel the proposition is a difficult one as AM4 is now dead end platform. I am glad that AMD released this last hurrah especially for DCS where the uplift has been better than I initially hoped for 

Additionally the uplift looks extreme. But this is because the readings come from a very CPU limited scenario. Under normal conditions the uplift will be anywhere between 0 (Fully GPU bound) and that 60%+ figure

I yet to test multiplayer 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Be interesting if it would make that much difference in a more GPU limited system?
How did your GPU times compare to CPU?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

Alright so my uplift coming from a 3900X at 4.5gHZ OC on a 6900XT @3.9Ghz and 64GB 3200/CL16 Ram to 5800X Stock

All recordings were made with OpenXR using OpenXRToolkit Inbuilt frame timing overlay

I used supercarier population with full crew and all aircraft slots on deck, multiple aircraft taxiing and taking off and additionally some flying. Very punishing, borderline artificially heavy CPU limited scenario. This is setup looking directly at the street/six pack where there was the most amount of action. The reading was taken after ~10seconds of waiting for things to settle down in exact the same spot without moving inside the F/A-18

3900X - ~30ms - (Red CPU Penalty 9ms)
5800X3D - ~19ms = Uplift of 61% (No CPU limitation message)

Apache on Syria Hotstart (Not a static test, taking off and doing a loop around the airfield)

3900X - 13-24ms
5800X3D - 9-16ms

This was a test of consistency rather than performance. What these figures don't show is how "locked" and smooth the experience was in comparison. The occasional stutter I had was gone

I am impressed. Anyone on AMD with a AM4 1k, 2k, 3k system looking for an upgrade this is a complete no-brainer. If you're on intel the proposition is a difficult one as AM4 is now dead end platform. I am glad that AMD released this last hurrah especially for DCS where the uplift has been better than I initially hoped for 

Additionally the uplift looks extreme. But this is because the readings come from a very CPU limited scenario. Under normal conditions the uplift will be anywhere between 0 (Fully GPU bound) and that 60%+ figure

I yet to test multiplayer 

Damn you @nikoel. You just convinced me 😂. You are costing me a lot. 
As I am also on a 6900xt our systems are pretty much identical. This was exactly the kind of info I needed. They actually have the x3d in stock in my local shop, so I think I’ll pull the plug. I was on the fence waiting to see some real feedback on appreciable gains. Coming from a 3800xt it sounds like it will be worthwhile. 
What are you using for cooling? 

23 minutes ago, TED said:

Damn you @nikoel. You just convinced me 😂. You are costing me a lot. 
As I am also on a 6900xt our systems are pretty much identical. This was exactly the kind of info I needed. They actually have the x3d in stock in my local shop, so I think I’ll pull the plug. I was on the fence waiting to see some real feedback on appreciable gains. Coming from a 3800xt it sounds like it will be worthwhile. 
What are you using for cooling? 

Yeah, us Ausies got shafted with the supplies of these and I was lucky to get one a full week after they launched

I have a Noctua D15S inside a Fractal Torrent case - Not that cooling matters with this processor. She is locked and stock is all that we are going to get. Even the ram speed no longer matters as much as it's used to due to the cache

I'll see if I can mess with PBO and under-volt to maybe let it boost slightly higher. But it may be a waste of time - There is a guy on youtube who OC'd his to 4.8 but the steps he had to take were ridiculous and my motherboard does not have such functionality. There is talk of AMD unlocking some OC options in the future

14 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Yeah, us Ausies got shafted with the supplies of these and I was lucky to get one a full week after they launched

I have a Noctua D15S inside a Fractal Torrent case - Not that cooling matters with this processor. She is locked and stock is all that we are going to get. Even the ram speed no longer matters as much as it's used to due to the cache

I'll see if I can mess with PBO and under-volt to maybe let it boost slightly higher. But it may be a waste of time - There is a guy on youtube who OC'd his to 4.8 but the steps he had to take were ridiculous and my motherboard does not have such functionality. There is talk of AMD unlocking some OC options in the future

Thanks. I’m still a little lost as to how the whole cache is so effectIve given the clock speed is so much lower. I have 64gb 3600hz RAM. I have my 3800xt oc’d to 4.3 so it feels a bit weird to go backwards on speed, but it appears the stats on performance speak for themself, so how it gets there is unimportant. 

4 hours ago, TED said:

Thanks. I’m still a little lost as to how the whole cache is so effectIve given the clock speed is so much lower. I have 64gb 3600hz RAM. I have my 3800xt oc’d to 4.3 so it feels a bit weird to go backwards on speed, but it appears the stats on performance speak for themself, so how it gets there is unimportant. 

Yeah, it seems that the days of relying on a simple number to compare processors are over! It's harder-to-quantify modifications in architecture that will yield improvements going forward.

My local Micro Center has a few of these at the moment. I'm on the fence. I've got a 5600x at the moment. I wonder what I can get for it on Craigslist.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

So now i jumped on the boat too and picked up a 5800x3d to pair with my 6900xt.

Did a quick test a10c Beirut sunrise.

I did not notice a huge difference and it does seem to run a little hotter than my 3800xt. 

It's definitely less small microstutters although I always use radeon chill to keep 45fps. Then it's very smooth. Low over Beirut it's still dropping to 40 at times and cpu times gonup to 23-29 ms. 

I think I need to look at the tuning and as I had to download a new bios update, some of my settings may need to be looked at. 

I haven't tested mp or liberation yet.

After a bit more testing the benefits are showing now. My previous test mission was very gpu intensive as it was lots of shadows, sunrise, cityscape etc, so obviously always gpu bound and still is. 
I just tested a super carrier with a hornet and full deck with as much ai as can be packed into the ship. This was something I could not do before without a lot of stutters. Now it’s rock solid locked at 45fps chill and not a stutter in sight. Clearly the x3d makes a big leap for me in being able to process other units and ai. Definitely impressive. Even taxiing around on deck between all the other aircraft, not a single fps drop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m more and more impressed with this cpu the more I test. Today for the first time ever I managed 90fps in vr in the a10c from and around batumi without sacrificing much on graphics settings. Running 100% resolution in openXR and some fsr in the toolkit. Stays above 70 with cpu frametimes in single figures most of the time. I’m now gpu bound, which is no bad place to be and no complaint given I’m using a 6900xt. 
The most notable improvements are those times when I’d expect fps to tank, it just doesn’t and remains totally smooth. For me this was often doing low level gun runs in the a10 and flying close to the ai vehicles or firing off mavericks. Now, not a jitter. It’s totally stable. For me it’s a no brainer now and very clear this works extremely well for my setup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1