So Eagle Dynamics is no longer Russian company?!

Rick50

Recently,  due to comments made by  a 3rd party developer who confided in us that they have been hit VERY hard by the real war in Ukraine, it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't know for sure if maybe ED could be affected by sanctions and banking restrictions on Russians...  

... and by pure chance, I heard the answer:

So Eagle Dynamics is no longer Russian company, but Swiss registered international ???

According to Wags, yes!  He says so early on during this podcast:

Air Combat Sim Podcast #25 

So apparently they have employees all over the world, many still in Russia obviously! Also, the Apache has been worked on seriously for about 2 years now, a year before it was announced, the speed of dev is now much greater thanks to having entire teams instead of single coders working on this part or that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rick50 said:

Recently,  due to comments made by  a 3rd party developer who confided in us that they have been hit VERY hard by the real war in Ukraine, it suddenly dawned on me that I didn't know for sure if maybe ED could be affected by sanctions and banking restrictions on Russians...  

... and by pure chance, I heard the answer:

So Eagle Dynamics is no longer Russian company, but Swiss registered international ???

According to Wags, yes!  He says so early on during this podcast:

Air Combat Sim Podcast #25 

So apparently they have employees all over the world, many still in Russia obviously! Also, the Apache has been worked on seriously for about 2 years now, a year before it was announced, the speed of dev is now much greater thanks to having entire teams instead of single coders working on this part or that.

This move was done before the pandemic even hit, like 2017.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

The change from forums.eagle.ru to forum.dcs.world was after the invasion, though, I think. I noticed it on 11th March 2022.

Edited by ams999
  • Like 3

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

12 hours ago, Rick50 said:

Sure, but I was completely unaware of this, and recently I saw a post by someone who like me, thought ED was still a Russian company... therefor I made this post!

Just keep in mind it's one thing where the company is registered (might as well be on the Moon for what it's worth), but it's the other who makes the core part of the product and where their taxes go in the end. Check the final pages of manuals for any ED-made module and see how many non-Russian or non-Belorussian names you'll find there after Wags and Nick.

To be clear, I'm NOT saying one should or should not support ED nowadays, because we obviously don't know what the stance of these RU/BE staff is in relation to recent international events. One just should look at the "we are Swiss Company now" declaration from a healthy distance, because the situation certainly is more complicated than that.

• Like 1

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

To  the contrary, I want ED employees to be paid well regardless of where they live. Regardless of what their passports and driver licenses say. 

My concern though was that if ED was officially registered as a "Russian company",  then sanctions could hurt ED. That's all. 

• Like 2

I heard what wags had to say in that interview, it made me feel better but it also raised some more questions in my brain.  If not russian owned or operated why is the Russian government preventing full fidelity modules and some systems,  sure I know some may fall under ITAR and such but the everyday thing said in discord about such and such module russian side its always yup nope russia wont allow it statement is said.

For example I would love a full fidelity Su-25  and the original enhanced systems that where suppose to come with Blackshark 3, or should say originally planned.  Guess im clueless on how the dev stuff works but be cool to know.  

• Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

• ED Team

We are a Swiss based company with employees all over the globe, yes ED started out in Russia, but we have since grown and changed. We have employees in Russia still, Belarus and Ukraine... we have employees in many other places as well. We have some key people in Russia that have been with ED since the start, Russian law would continue to impact them no matter where the company is located, the same way Wags is careful about following US laws in his work with DCS and ED. 

Our footprint in Russia shrinks as much as it grows in other parts of the world, even saying we are a swiss company undermines the fact that we are a global company more than anything.

The forums addresses and such were updated in big part by issues with having .ru in the current global environment, but it was also long overdue, this just pushed it to be done faster. 

If you have more questions on this, feel free to PM. Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png