CPG Magnetic North alignment Option.

randomTOTEN

In the latest newsletter,

One of the new features coming in the next Mi-24P update is the KM-2 magnetic declination adjustment system. With it, the Co-Pilot Gunner (CP/G) will have to dial magnetic variation into the KM-2 to get the true heading on the RMI. When the CP/G is Petrovich AI, he will automatically adjust it as soon as the course system "Greben" is switched on or if you start from a “hot” aircraft.

This is going to be a significant departure from other ASM modules in DCS: World. Currently, only the FC3 modules navigate in reference to (DCS Flat Earth) True North. Every other module I own navigates in reference to Magnetic North. This will cause minor problems when coordinating with other aircraft, necessitating they either choose True north options (if they have them) or one of us has to do some basic math. Likewise, aviation as a system operates referencing Magnetic North (unless somebody has evidence otherwise for Russian Helicopters... but my Kamov and Hip are Magnetic oriented).

I want to simultaneously have a discussion on the decision for Petrovich to align KM-2 to True North, and to request the ability to command Magnetic North from Petrovich via some means.

I've just realized the map display is currently oriented to True North.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be nice to have an option. When reading the newsletter I also realized this might cause issues for flights with Mi-8/Ka-50. 

I also dislike always having to find magnetic deviation, as it changes through time, and my only resource is random forum posts that aren’t always right. Whoever put that map there and and Petrovich in the front seat know what the magnetic deviation is, I wish they could tell me🤣

• Like 1

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 4/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, randomTOTEN said:

This is going to be a significant departure from other ASM modules in DCS: World. Currently, only the FC3 modules navigate in reference to (DCS Flat Earth) True North.

Nope, the L-39 works in a similar way with a magnetometer feeding the magnetic heading via a MagVar "correcting dial" so the RMI displays the True heading.

GPS and INS natively align with True North, so by their very nature have to be adjusted using the local MagVar to match the local magnetic compass readings.

While it's standardised in western (most) aviation, it's an arbitrary convention and isn't the only way to do things.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:47 AM, randomTOTEN said:

... but my Kamov and Hip are Magnetic oriented

The Ka-50's ABRIS can use True or Magnetic and the PVI-800 uses True, I suggest you embrace the difference.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

8 hours ago, admiki said:

While it seems the domain is temporarily unavailable, I have tried to stay away from real sources as MagVar can be different at many places at the same time within our large maps. It seems ED uses an average or an arbitrary city or center area as what they choose for the MagVar for a given map/year, and even then it stays the same for the whole year and is rounded to an even number. 

For example where I am, it is nearly opposite of Syria, but I drive 100 km north or south and it can change a full degree almost. On MagVar maps the more parallel the lines, the less tue variation between close distances 

Im sure you can get close, but if someone has a way to make real life sources translate perfectly to DCS I would be interested. In the past I’m pretty sure in DCS one of the only ways to know has been to jump in an A-10 and go to a CDU page🤣 would be nice to just be on the briefing 

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

On 4/18/2022 at 9:09 AM, Ramsay said:

Nope,

...Okay? Let me test those claims. I was sure they're correct.

The Ka-50's ABRIS can use True or Magnetic

Which was exactly what I said here;

On 4/15/2022 at 11:47 PM, randomTOTEN said:

necessitating they either choose True north options (if they have them)

So I loaded up my navigation test mission, and verified what was going on. It takes place on the Caucasus map, at the Krymsk airfield Runway 4. The magnetic variation is 7.1°E in my .miz (040°T, 033°M).

Nope, the L-39 works in a similar way with a magnetometer feeding the magnetic heading via a MagVar "correcting dial" so the RMI displays the True heading.

This is actually correct, and I have been mistaken all the time I've owned this module. Using "Takeoff from Runway" option, the KM-8 is correctly functioning, and by default is set correctly for the Gyros to be aligned for True Heading, not Magnetic. Oops...

PVI-800 uses True,

This is also correct. Placing a hot KA-50 also shows the HUD, Navigation instrument, and PVI-800 as all aligned to True North, not Magnetic. Interesting that I've never noticed it before. Shows how much I know. Also interesting, the ABRIS by default is set to TRUE, vs western aircraft which are default to MAGNETIC.

PS and INS natively align with True North, so by their very nature have to be adjusted using the local MagVar to match the local magnetic compass readings.

Yes, in western aircraft a MagVar database is loaded to output magnetic directions in the system. It's not perfect, so sometimes the GPS/INS track will vary from publications by a few degrees.

While it's standardised in western (most) aviation, it's an arbitrary convention and isn't the only way to do things.

Agreed. There are compromises with either standard.

I suggest you embrace the difference.

Well, considering I already have a minimum of 2 modules which already orient via True North, that disproves me "everything except FC3" statement. And clearly I already manage just fine with the difference between modules, so I think my feature request is now an irrelevant solution to an already managed problem.

I embrace my True oriented Hind. I guess the devs can someday add a Petrovich option if they want, but I'm satisfied with the current plan.

Thanks for motivating me to dig deeper on this.

• Like 1