Dynamic campaign

lee1hy

It's 2022 now since a dynamic campaign was mentioned in an interview in 2008 on simhq.

DCS's maps are very well made with electricity, traffic, roads, cities and industries. The fuel storage ammunition storage at the airfield is also very well made. Also dynamic weather will supported

Dynamic campaigns are not complicated. Automatic creation of task , waypoint , various divisions and squadrons is still possible. If DCS provide more APIs , the community will create great dynamic campaigns. And user will still buy 55 dlc campaigns 

Edited by lee1hy
  • Like 1

creator of ED's official F-16C liveries (WP,OS, 132nd, 152nd, 174th)
AH-64D livery contest winner 😅
kim_123456#3214

My user files https://shorturl.at/cdKV5

55 dollars DLC campaigns I haven't seen. Sounds like a good one.
That a working believable dynamic campaign is NOT hard to make I need proof for. Google the interview with the project lead on how it was made in that other Viper sim, and you might get som insight. I'm sure ED wants to make DCS the new gold standard.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lee1hy said:

It's 2022 now since a dynamic campaign was mentioned in an interview in 2008 on simhq.

DCS's maps are very well made with electricity, traffic, roads, cities and industries.

None of them are actually set up for it though - the objects are there but there's nothing attached to them.

The only thing you can do is destroy things like bridges.

The fuel storage ammunition storage at the airfield is also very well made.

Well, it does work, but I think there's some improvements that can be made to it. The TL;DR of which is to have a look at C:MOs system.

• Everything is listed in massive tables, which despite being broken down into categories, is IMO a bit cluttered. If I'm going to have limited weapons, I'd much rather have a blank slate, and I'd add whatever weapons to it in whatever initial and maximum quantity. Even better would be the ability to add folders to it. (This is much like C:MOs magazine editor).
  • There's no control over how weapons and fuel are distributed (I assume it distributes them uniformally among each applicable storage object).
  • Storage objects are sometimes inaccurate (either in the wrong place, or are present at aerdromes that don't have any IRL) - this sometimes leads to random buildings or even personal cars and streetlamps/light poles being defined as storage objects (no I'm not joking).
  • Not all storage objects are defined as such.
  • The way of setting an upper limit is pretty clunky and leaves fair bit to be desired in and of itself - personally, I'd rather just have a setting for initial quantity and maximum quantity, for each weapon.
  • You can't interdict convoys coming from suppliers to airbases.
  • It doesn't apply to gun rounds or countermeasures.
  • You can't click on a particular storage object at an airfield (such as a fuel tank or ammunition shelter) and see what's stored there, I can only see what's stored for the whole base.

I haven't even gotten into things like logistics in general - such as being able to have vehicles and transport aircraft containing cargo (either fuel, weapons or even units) - the closest thing is embarking infantry onto helicopters (but you can't start them with infantry already loaded to my knowledge).

Currently, for ground units, so long as they're in range of a unit predefined as a cargo unit (such as most cargo trucks - they have a black circle around them in the ME), they'll resupply indefinitely, just after a set interval. Which means it's fairly limited in what you can do with it.

Dynamic campaigns are not complicated.

That might be so as far as basic principles are concerned, but for implementation definitely not (especially for massive scale, dynamic, persistent campaigns as featured in the other F-16 orientated sim).

And there's several issues DCS needs to deal with first to facilitate a dynamic, persistent campaign, namely the AI and logistics - which are 2 mammoth tasks in and of themselves.

Automatic creation of task , waypoint , various divisions and squadrons is still possible. If DCS provide more APIs , the community will create great dynamic campaigns. And user will still buy 55 dlc campaigns

Again, as far as basic principles are concerned this may be true, but as far as implementation goes not so much.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

He has a point in terms of the time delay that has occurred, but I think what he was referring to when he said "Dynamic Campaigns are not complicated" was from the end-users perspective. Selecting a couple options/pushing a few buttons to generate a dynamic campaign is not very complicated.

What he is missing though are all the things you have detailed.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, Shrike88 said:

Well either way its been a while since all the hype and several discussions of "we are working on it" and "its in the works" however no news, progress updates, info etc.   Just the DCS Crickets

Maybe check out the latest video...

Fast forward to timestamp 9:37 when Wags is in the mission editor and take a look at the last menu item up the top. That's new. 😃

Intentional tease, or overlook with the recording I have no idea - but it's promising to see it there. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2022 at 11:31 PM, Dangerzone said:

Maybe check out the latest video...

Fast forward to timestamp 9:37 when Wags is in the mission editor and take a look at the last menu item up the top. That's new. 😃

Intentional tease, or overlook with the recording I have no idea - but it's promising to see it there. 

Also in the most recent video wags posted. When he pops into ME.. its there for all of us to drool over and wonder. My wishful vote is for intentional tease, not an oversight !😁 Even if it won’t produce a full blow war right away, I’d be 100% content if it made smaller campaigns to start out. Kind of like liberation’s short ones. Anything varying that seems to have a goal or purpose. Not just flop a bunch of objects down at random, that’s called practice 😂

• Like 2

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

1 hour ago, MadKreator said:

Also in the most recent video wags posted. When he pops into ME.. its there for all of us to drool over and wonder. My wishful vote is for intentional tease, not an oversight !😁 Even if it won’t produce a full blow war right away, I’d be 100% content if it made smaller campaigns to start out. Kind of like liberation’s short ones. Anything varying that seems to have a goal or purpose. Not just flop a bunch of objects down at random, that’s called practice 😂

Indeed - it's really encouraging to see a glimpse of hope in this area! I wonder what it may contain.

On 4/16/2022 at 1:18 AM, lee1hy said:

DCS's maps are very well made with electricity, traffic, roads, cities and industries. The fuel storage ammunition storage at the airfield is also very well made. Also dynamic weather will supported

Dynamic campaigns are not complicated. Automatic creation of task , waypoint , various divisions and squadrons is still possible. If DCS provide more APIs , the community will create great dynamic campaigns. And user will still buy 55 dlc campaigns 

Firstly, I hope it's a typo, 2008 Predates DCS World, by ~ 4 years Before DCS World Core Launch.
Secondly for Dynamic Campaign Engine, The Majority of the work was being done under the hood to create a engine that supports dynamic mission results, a strategy engine that generates missions and movements strategically and not just random movements or tasks,
Just have to hold out a bit longer.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Does anyone know what the Dynamic Campaign is likely to offer us? In particular is it likely to be seamless and suitable for multiplayer - permanent servers online 24x7 with people coming and going, or is it going to be more for squads / friends / individuals who choose when they play the next part? 

16 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Firstly, I hope it's a typo, 2008 Predates DCS World, by ~ 4 years Before DCS World Core Launch.

Yes, it does. The first hints of DC go way back before DCS World was a thing and Black Shark 1 was still new. You can see that the ambition was there even with the earliest "semi-dynamic" campaign system, the infrastructure of which could, possibly, have been expanded into a full DC, had that plan gone ahead. That said, I don't think the current effort has much in common with those early ambitions.

• Like 1

It's been a year and a quarter since we'd last heard anything? You get the impression there's a blocker or just something not going to plan with it.

I'm not convinced the "Dynamic Mission" thing seen in Wags videos has anything to do with the dynamic campaign. Why would it be buried in the ME? Wouldn't it have its own section on the main menu? "Dynamic Mission" sounds more like a one time thing, not a continuous campaign.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but 16 months is a fairly long time to wait for an update.

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

I have the impression that the illuminati are using builds that are many months, if not years in advance of what we have. Some of which will die in a dead end ditch, some of which wont. Cant get excited by a glimpse of the word "dynamic" in a video TBH.  Could even be a nothing more placeholder for all we know. 

With so many plates now spinning and outstadning features to complete accoss so many modules and the core, its a fools errand to second guess where ED is up to with anything. 

• Like 1

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

15 hours ago, LooseSeal said:

It's been a year and a quarter since we'd last heard anything? You get the impression there's a blocker or just something not going to plan with it.

I'm not convinced the "Dynamic Mission" thing seen in Wags videos has anything to do with the dynamic campaign. Why would it be buried in the ME? Wouldn't it have its own section on the main menu? "Dynamic Mission" sounds more like a one time thing, not a continuous campaign.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but 16 months is a fairly long time to wait for an update.

Well,
The Campaign Builder is also in the mission editor, as that's where it would be created and generated.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

15 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

I have the impression that the illuminati are using builds that are many months, if not years in advance of what we have. Some of which will die in a dead end ditch, some of which wont. Cant get excited by a glimpse of the word "dynamic" in a video TBH.  Could even be a nothing more placeholder for all we know. 

With so many plates now spinning and outstadning features to complete accoss so many modules and the core, its a fools errand to second guess where ED is up to with anything. 

I'm probably one of the most critical members of these forums. But I can tell you the they don't show <profanity> unless they want to. And they like to teas us. It's been shown in multiple videos of late. And they seem to be working on a big update. If they're showing it, it's because they want to sture up hype. My guess is they are about to put some real effort into Super Carrier. It's a test bed for the technology that will be needed for a DC. I'm suspecting that we will see something about that Dynamic Mission in a few month. With a new possibility pain feature coming late in the year. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 5:49 AM, Boosterdog said:

Well one thing we can say with absolute certainty regarding what ED has been up to lately.... Night OPs!

On 4/27/2022 at 8:49 PM, SkateZilla said:

Well,
The Campaign Builder is also in the mission editor, as that's where it would be created and generated.

I agree, that makes the most sense to me. Seems logical that dynamic missions would be the needed building blocks for a dynamic campaign.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 2:24 AM, FlankerKiller said:

IMy guess is they are about to put some real effort into Super Carrier. It's a test bed for the technology that will be needed for DC. 

In what way. That’s a genuine question not a snarky one. Thanks. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

1 hour ago, Boosterdog said:

In what way. That’s a genuine question not a snarky one. Thanks. 

Mostly the ATC and briefing room. The Super Carrier has a real proper ATC system built in. Plus the ground crew, and the coming briefing room. The first and last are needed for a DC. We have to assume that there will be aircraft coming and going, and that will be a real mess with the current ATC. With a DC a Breafing room will be a big thing too. And I'm really hoping that the ground crew finds its way to the air bases. All technology that is having its development paid for by the Super Carrier. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Digital COMBAT SIMULATOR!?!?!

We're way more aircraft simulator than COMBAT Simulator, especially in Single Player mode.  Thank goodness for campaigns designers.  However, I'd like to make my own, more real world based and the ability to design them without it taking days/weeks or an extensive knowledge in computer programming.  This needs to happen and it has to be the best thing since sliced bread. Very detailed, including a revamped AI and the ability to create lots and Lots and LOTS of scenarios.  In short, it needs to put the CS in DCS!

Lastly, I agree with everything else mentioned, especially a very detailed, (multi-level), ATC/Comms system, to include ATIS and brief understanding of Air Spaces and following IFR/VFR rules. I'm not saying real world realistic but more challenging than it is right now.  This simulator has the ability to broaden its following.  Lastly, a world map would be amazing.  

• Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, Shrike88 said:

Well either way its been a while since all the hype and several discussions of "we are working on it" and "its in the works" however no news, progress updates, info etc.   Just the DCS Crickets

lIez6Uc.gif

• Like 1

DCS FORUM SIG.jpg

• 7 months later...

As an occasion for the end of 2022, I would like to know how far ED is with the development of the dynamic campaign and what the blocking points are.

PC: Win 10 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB RAM, GForce RTX 4090.

Cockpit & HOTAS: VKB Gunfighter MKIII with MCG PRO, Vipril MT-50 CM2, Virpil Rotor Plus & SharKa-50 grip, Thrustmaster TPR, Virpil SharKa-50 Control Panel, WinWing Phoenix MIP, WinWing PTO & PCR, Total Control Apachte MPD frames, several DIY panels, NLR GTTRACK, NLR Motion V3, ButtKicker Gamer PLUS

VR: Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...